Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2017, 07:58   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

R.I.P Volkswagen Jetta.

Jetta was always one of the cars that was an example of great engineering and held a certain aspirational value for me.

However would be interesting to theorize on the reason why Jetta stopped selling. Even Honda CR-V, a petrol only SUV is still alive and kicking.

1. Just too expensive?
2. Not enough value for money (e.g. a Maruti Ciaz offering more features than a car double the cost)?
3. Better product offering in the same segment? (Octavia)
4. Bad marketing? (Haven't seen Jetta ads in media).
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 08:51   #17
BHPian
 
CarguyNish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Roaming Around
Posts: 563
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
1. Just too expensive?
2. Not enough value for money (e.g. a Maruti Ciaz offering more features than a car double the cost)?
3. Better product offering in the same segment? (Octavia)
4. Bad marketing? (Haven't seen Jetta ads in media).
1. Seriously, was Jetta expensive ? Then what will you say of Octavia ? Jetta is cheaper then Octavia. Just compare the prices.

2. Not VFM, in terms of some missing features (Sunroof, Memory Seats etc) yes, but in terms of Driving Experience ? No other car can even come closer to this in that department. And, the Jetta has more features then Ciaz & comparing with that tincan is not called for.

3. Octavia is a better product, in Petrol guise. But when you compare the Diesel, the Jetta is much better.

4. Agree, I have only seen TV ads when it was launched in 2011, but after that they hardly made efforts in that front. Only ads I see are in newspapers regarding offers.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 16th February 2017 at 08:55.
CarguyNish is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 09:03   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 115
Thanked: 109 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
1. Jetta is cheaper then Octavia...

2.comparing with that tincan is not called for.

3. Octavia is a better product, in Petrol guise. But when you compare the Diesel, the Jetta is much better.

4. Agree. No ads
The post was not meant to rile any Jetta lover (I am myself one). However, more of a discussion on why Jetta production had to be stopped. Above questions were asked as potential reasons rather than my opinion of the product.

To the discerning buyer the quality/offering is obvious, however not sure the larger market is aware/cares about the engineering nuances, hence question on VFM and comparing with tincans.
varunsangal is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 09:12   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Nagoya, Japan
Posts: 97
Thanked: 168 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Jetta might not have sold much because the car had a reputation for unreliability internationally with Consumer Reports in US also commenting on its reliability. However, I would put it more down to a lack of interest of VW to sell their wares in cut throat Indian market.
The owners of the car would definitely not agree with me as I am yet to hear bad stuff about a Jetta from any of the people I know who bought them.
Carma2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 09:44   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: LAX/DEL
Posts: 31
Thanked: 49 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Very sad. I drive a Jetta 2.5 every day here in the States and it's a lovely car. Great build quality, fuel economy and (for the price) performance. It's also a tough bugger that handles all my college-student-shenanigans with aplomb. The 5 cylinder engine sounds good too.
Stigissimo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:29   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 46,558
Thanked: 80,330 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Jetta might not have sold much because the car had a reputation for unreliability
You got to be kidding. My brother's Jetta nearing 40,000 km has offered a flawless ownership experience. Ajmat's Jetta has crossed 50,000 km and has been super reliable.

The Jetta has simple, robust mechanicals and minimal electronics.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 10:44   #22
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,021
Thanked: 979 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carma2017 View Post
Jetta might not have sold much because the car had a reputation for unreliability internationally with Consumer Reports in US also commenting on its reliability. However, I would put it more down to a lack of interest of VW to sell their wares in cut throat Indian market.
The owners of the car would definitely not agree with me as I am yet to hear bad stuff about a Jetta from any of the people I know who bought them.
In the Indian context, the Jetta is quite a reliable workhorse. I'd put it's withdrawal down more to a natural cycle with the car having come to the end of the line, as competitors pack in more features and are fresher at a similar or lower price point. Even then, the Jetta TDI is only bested by the Octavia 1.8 TSI when it comes to driving pleasure in that segment. It really is peerless in terms of the duality of its nature, its a wonderful brute in a suit.

The reason that you might have barely heard a squeak against the Jetta is that it ticks a lot of boxes and does so with minimal fuss, I doubt any owners will have any serious gripes with the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You got to be kidding. My brother's Jetta nearing 40,000 km has offered a flawless ownership experience. Ajmat's Jetta has crossed 50,000 km and has been super reliable.

The Jetta has simple, robust mechanicals and minimal electronics.
This. I've had a largely fuss-free ownership and many fun filled miles at the wheel of the Jetta. I intended to keep the Jetta 7-8 years when I bought it, and its lived up to its billing as a fuss-free daily driver with ease. No matter how lousy my day, I always look forward to driving it home since it puts me at ease and, given an open stretch of road, a smile on my face.

In fact, Tanveer is mulling over selling his Jetta and getting something from the big German troika, but he's (rightly) struggling to justify the big bucks he'll have to shell out for them unless he buys a used 6 cylinder German.

It's a shame to see the Jetta phased out in India, but I'm sure it will remain popular in the used car market. It is without a doubt a car for the ages thanks to its understated elegance, clean lines, well-rounded abilities and fuss-free performance.
iliketurtles is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 11:05   #23
BHPian
 
Hells Bells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 61 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

An unfortunate decommissioning considering for the relative low volumes it did, it was surprisingly the upgrade of choice for so many of us driving lower segment cars. An awesome mix of solidity, reliability (so unlike Skoda) and just the right amount of practical features meant it tugged at the hearts of all those who don't bother so much about brands.

With Tiguan definitely slotted higher in the price bracket (my understanding), they have handed over the segment on a platter to Skoda.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2017 at 12:34. Reason: Typo
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 11:21   #24
BHPian
 
CarguyNish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Roaming Around
Posts: 563
Thanked: 1,252 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You got to be kidding. My brother's Jetta nearing 40,000 km has offered a flawless ownership experience. Ajmat's Jetta has crossed 50,000 km and has been super reliable.

The Jetta has simple, robust mechanicals and minimal electronics.
My dad's Jetta is nearing 70k, it has been super reliable.

What's more, it's still running with the same battery it came with during delivery.

And, the problems/niggles reported by other Jetta owners here haven't surfaced yet. In fact, no parts have been replaced apart from the usual Fuel/Air/AC filters. That speaks about the robustness of this car is.

My dad isn't ready to upgrade unless he finds a car which is more superior then this Jetta. For him A4 is a overpriced Jetta. He hates it despite the brand value it carries.
CarguyNish is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 12:06   #25
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 13
Thanked: 19 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

I feel a little sad. I test drove the car a year back and I just fell in love with it and always wanted to buy one but at the time the budget did not permit and we ended up buying the GT TSi.

I actually remember having the discussion at home of why it was absolutely worth every penny just for the way it drove.

For me this will remain the best car I test drove but couldn't buy.
karan85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2017, 17:06   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Chennai , Tamil Nadu
Posts: 282
Thanked: 56 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Extremely sad that they are pulling out such a wonderful offering from the market. The Jetta / Octavia (Laura in prev. gen) were always the cars that I wanted to upgrade to when I forayed into the D-segment. Looks like I will have to find a brilliant pre-worshiped example when I decide to get one.

Would be wonderful if VW considers getting a RHD version of the next gen Passat & Jetta to Indian shores.
kaush666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 04:18   #27
BHPian
 
Screwdriva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: London/ Bombay
Posts: 488
Thanked: 343 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I used to even call it the modern day W124.
Do my eyes deceive me?
Screwdriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 07:44   #28
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 315
Thanked: 599 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

No! No! No! VW you gotta be kidding me. Just when we're mulling the idea of picking up a black Jetta TDI DSG as an upgrade to my Vento. How could you do this? I'm pulling out my hair as I speak! Coming back to my senses. Jetta was THE aspirational choice in the D segment, closely followed by Octy. That understated elegance, coupled with robust performance was a match made in heaven. I'm at a loss of words here. Here's to hoping that VW brings in the MQB Jetta soon.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 08:31   #29
BHPian
 
GKR9900's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: EKM/Thrissur
Posts: 315
Thanked: 599 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Sorry for the back to back posts, but come on VW, you should've at least given Jetta the farewell it so dearly deserves. Something like an Ultimate Edition of sorts. Throw in all the goodies, bump up some power and what not! Just silently ticking it off your product manifesto is not fair to a, I dare say, legendary product! Folks at VW have no qualms about bringing in a CBU hot hatch at 25+ lakhs (read Polo GTI), but they choose to discontinue a well-engineered, sensible and powerful diesel sedan that's priced lower? And they aren't even going to bring in it's latest avatar? What are you guys smoking? ?

OT: Skoda guys are going to have a gala time now! I also wonder when Hyundai is going to bump up their Elantra prices, now that Jetta is out of the way! Strange times we live in!

Rant over
GKR9900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2017, 08:59   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,580
Thanked: 3,479 Times
Default re: R.I.P. Volkswagen Jetta : Production Stopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Still don't understand why did they pull out the Jetta.
I don’t think it’s an India-specific decision to pull out the Jetta. It was never a popular model in the RHD markets (say in the UK) when compared with its sibling Golf. If I remember correctly, they did not even come out with a corresponding Jetta model for the MK7 Golf. And keeping the old model alive for a miniscule market (for this segment) like ours may not be viable financially.

Its sad though… Its one of those last European cars with that solid feel; the current VAG models on MQB platform just doesn't have that kind of a character. 10 years down the lane, this maybe deemed as a classic.

Last edited by vb-san : 17th February 2017 at 09:06.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hyundai accent production stopped abhijitnallani The Indian Car Scene 126 18th October 2013 10:26
Why was Yamaha RX 100 production stopped abruptly? finneyp Motorbikes 33 27th August 2009 19:51
Ford Fusion : Has the production stopped? venkatrx The Indian Car Scene 17 5th May 2006 20:06
Maruti stopped ZEN production ~~VinZ~~ The Indian Car Scene 1 24th March 2006 16:09
Esteem production stopped???? v12 The Indian Car Scene 19 9th June 2004 11:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks