Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2017, 18:30   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

Cross-posting from the Aspire thread, can anyone who's been to a showroom recently confirm whether the T(O) pack is available on the Sports variant?
Chetan_Rao is online now  
Old 20th April 2017, 18:49   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,577
Thanked: 4,448 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
As far as my understanding goes "Secondary Clutch Switch" is present in the cars with Cruise Control facility.
Tried asking about "Secondary Clutch Switch" with Ford India Live chat and was directed to consult "auto experts" at dealership
Attached Thumbnails
Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs-screenshot_20170420184117538_com.android.chrome.png  

Dr.Naren is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 19:14   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,157
Thanked: 2,416 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Cross-posting from the Aspire thread, can anyone who's been to a showroom recently confirm whether the T(O) pack is available on the Sports variant?
From what I enquired with the showroom, there is no option trim available.
tharian is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 19:57   #94
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RSR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 4,530 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

I spotted a Figo S in the flesh yesterday, in black colour with a white roof & sporting black alloys with white detailing. It looks hot! At the same time, Ford should have also offered some special racy colours on the Figo & Aspire S.

I guess they've plonked in suspension bits and pieces from the UK & Europe export spec Ka+ on the Indian S editions, including the 195/55 R15 tyres & wheels. It's good to hear from Karthikeya Singhee (who is no longer with ACI now) that Ford have not sacrificed everyday practicality or ride comfort on the S editions.

I only wish they also included rear height-adjustable neck restraints from the export spec variants, along with offering optional side & curtain airbags.

Where is that 1.0 EcoBoost, Ford? The petrol Figo & Aspire S also deserve at least 100 PS under the hood!

Last edited by RSR : 20th April 2017 at 20:02.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 20:27   #95
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 676
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Tried asking about "Secondary Clutch Switch" with Ford India Live chat and was directed to consult "auto experts" at dealership
They are your average customer care executives, not company engineers!! It is unfair to expect them to know answers to technical questions. The guy gave you the right answer and If you really want to know the answer to your question, it is better to speak to Ford service advisors in your city.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 20th April 2017 at 20:28.
skanchan95 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 21:07   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Tried asking about "Secondary Clutch Switch" with Ford India Live chat and was directed to consult "auto experts" at dealership
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
They are your average customer care executives, not company engineers!! It is unfair to expect them to know answers to technical questions. The guy gave you the right answer and If you really want to know the answer to your question, it is better to speak to Ford service advisors in your city.
Well, a secondary clutch switch, is not for cruise control.

What it actually does is, it gives input to the PCM, when a fully pressed switch is being released from its bottom most position (clutch being engaged) So the PCM gets this input, and hence adds a little more torque, thus not letting the car stall. This improves vehicle launch a lot, and helps the driver immensely in stop go traffic, and also improves the drivability of the car by more precise information about the clutch's position
aravind.anand is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 22:17   #97
BHPian
 
samaspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Manipal / Udupi
Posts: 873
Thanked: 2,089 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
So the PCM gets this input, and hence adds a little more torque, thus not letting the car stall. This improves vehicle launch a lot, and helps the driver immensely in stop go traffic, and also improves the drivability of the car by more precise information about the clutch's position
If this is correct, then the Petrol desperately needs it.

And if that is all that is needed to improve low end torque, then "Ford, please retrofit it in my car".
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 23:25   #98
BHPian
 
HOTROD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 112
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well, a secondary clutch switch, is not for cruise control.

What it actually does is, it gives input to the PCM, when a fully pressed switch is being released from its bottom most position (clutch being engaged) So the PCM gets this input, and hence adds a little more torque, thus not letting the car stall. This improves vehicle launch a lot, and helps the driver immensely in stop go traffic, and also improves the drivability of the car by more precise information about the clutch's position
I think the figo diesel already comes with this. When i let go of the clutch even without pressing the throttle pedal it has a slight surge. This is very evident in traffic..any gear letting go of the clutch does this
HOTROD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 06:55   #99
BHPian
 
avinash_clt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Eindhoven/KL11
Posts: 300
Thanked: 802 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Well, a secondary clutch switch, is not for cruise control.

What it actually does is, it gives input to the PCM, when a fully pressed switch is being released from its bottom most position (clutch being engaged) So the PCM gets this input, and hence adds a little more torque, thus not letting the car stall. This improves vehicle launch a lot, and helps the driver immensely in stop go traffic, and also improves the drivability of the car by more precise information about the clutch's position
I presume there would also be a 'primary' clutch switch in that case. What would be the difference in objectives between the two (and do we need two clutch switches)? Would a primary clutch switch be only for preventing accidental cranking of the vehicle while in gear?

Isn't this additional torque request at the point of clutch engagement (i.e when engine rpm starts to drop marginally below idle speed unless driver gives throttle input), basically same as an anti-stall feature? Is a clutch switch or clutch pedal position sensor really necessary for the same? (I believe based on inputs of engine speed sensor, throttle position etc an algorithm for anti-stall can be implemented). I do not have precise knowledge and hence seeking more information .
avinash_clt is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 07:16   #100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 3,892
Thanked: 6,665 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I presume there would also be a 'primary' clutch switch in that case. What would be the difference in objectives between the two (and do we need two clutch switches)? Would a primary clutch switch be only for preventing accidental cranking of the vehicle while in gear? .....basically same as an anti-stall feature? Is a clutch switch or clutch pedal position sensor really necessary for the same?
Yes, it is like anti stall. It is present in all cars with 1.5 TDCi engine.

This is how it works in the Fiesta - The idle rpm is around 800, and if I release the clutch after engaging first gear, the engine rpm goes up to about 1100 with no inputs on the A pedal. Helps immensely to pull the car forward.

The Fiesta also has a start stop button and it doesn't take the command for ignition if the clutch is not fully depressed. Will it be the primary clutch switch working there? And if the car is freewheeling on a slope, the system doesn't take the command for ignition even if the clutch is fully depressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
I only wish they also included rear height-adjustable neck restraints from the export spec variants...
Sadly, that's a trait Ford fully copied from the erstwhile Fiesta S. Cars with built-in head rests look so awkward and old. And useless for tall passengers.
deetjohn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 08:52   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,017
Thanked: 4,197 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTROD View Post
I think the figo diesel already comes with this. When i let go of the clutch even without pressing the throttle pedal it has a slight surge. This is very evident in traffic..any gear letting go of the clutch does this
I second this. I spent a day with the Aspire and liked this feature which helps to launch the car without needing the accelerator initially. Helped a lot to move in first and second gear as well as parking. But there was a downside to it, in case you got used to the surge and fully let go of the pedal, it would cut the idle back to 800 RPM which would decelerate the car suddenly. I realised that such a feature existed everytime I would release, the car would reach around 10kmph and then when the pedal was fully released, it would come down to around 6kmph if accelerator was not pressed. Hence, I had to master the art of blending the accelerator smoothly so as to not ensure a rocket launch, which the engine is capable of. This also led to a few jerky starts, but I am to blame for not being used to how a diesel accelerator works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Isn't this additional torque request at the point of clutch engagement (i.e when engine rpm starts to drop marginally below idle speed unless driver gives throttle input), basically same as an anti-stall feature? Is a clutch switch or clutch pedal position sensor really necessary for the same? (I believe based on inputs of engine speed sensor, throttle position etc an algorithm for anti-stall can be implemented). I do not have precise knowledge and hence seeking more information .
It could be true that there is such an arrangement in the non Sport variants. However, if there no secondary switch, the engine speed initially drops when you let go of clutch without accelerator pressed. This is recognised by the ECU and it will increase the idle speed BUT back to the regular idling speed only. It works that way in my petrol cars, however, the clutch release should be done gradually for the drop in RPM to be compensated. But in case of the Aspire I drove, it was a clear increase in RPM more than the idle speed from which I recognised that this is a different arrangement. I am not sure if this is the same across the Figo variant or the Sport variant has something more.


But speaking in general, except for the super dead and light steering, I loved this car to the bits and for the price it is being offered, it is definitely worth buying than the Swift diesel. It is only the petrol that is a bit disappointing. The diesel Figo is definitely a superb pick.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 09:55   #102
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,285
Thanked: 18,786 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
Disappointing that the 6-airbags option is not on Ford's price-list, despite it being mentioned as optionally available in the model comparison on the website.
The website has been updated. There is no Titanium option pack with 6 airbags for the Figo/Aspire sports edition.
Vid6639 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 10:26   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
aravind.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,310
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
If this is correct, then the Petrol desperately needs it.

And if that is all that is needed to improve low end torque, then "Ford, please retrofit it in my car".
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I presume there would also be a 'primary' clutch switch in that case. What would be the difference in objectives between the two (and do we need two clutch switches)?

Isn't this additional torque request at the point of clutch engagement (i.e when engine rpm starts to drop marginally below idle speed unless driver gives throttle input), basically same as an anti-stall feature?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I second this. I spent a day with the Aspire and liked this feature which helps to launch the car without needing the accelerator initially. Helped a lot to move in first and second gear as well as parking.
A crude picture, to help explain the secondary clutch switch operation a little better...

Name:  0wN6s.png
Views: 1792
Size:  25.1 KB

The blue switch at the top, is the primary clutch switch, and the red-yellow one at the bottom is the secondary clutch switch.

Case 1 - Car equipped with only primary clutch switch :

In this case, when the driver depressed the pedal, to disengage the clutch, the top clutch switch extends till the shown grey area, to let the PCM know that the driver is disengaging the clutch.

The driver slots into 1st gear and slowly starts releasing the clutch pedal again - here the PCM has no clue that the driver is releasing the pedal and it doesn't know when the clutch would be engaged at all. Say, the particular engine develops 10 Nm of torque at idle - which would not be enough to launch the car. So the car struggles and then finally stalls... Unless the driver uses his right foot, and also slips the clutch a bit, it is usually a little tough to have a smooth launch.

Case 2 - Car with primary & secondary clutch switches :

In this case, when the driver fully depresses the clutch pedal, the red-yellow second clutch switch gets pressed too - thus sending a signal out to the PCM that clutch disengagement is complete.

When the driver slots into 1st gear and starts releasing the pedal, the secondary clutch switch starts moving along with the pedal (in the grey coloured area) and this sends a signal to the PCM that driver is trying to launch the car. So the PCM in turn directs the engine to create more torque - say 20 Nm, to enable a smooth launch, and thus the vehicle does not stall and gets moving smoothly.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 21st April 2017 at 10:28.
aravind.anand is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 11:36   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
... There is no Titanium option pack with 6 airbags for the Figo/Aspire sports edition.
Disappointing.

A variant meant to be driven hard could do with more safety equipment, or so one would think.

Waiting for T-BHP review to see if the tweaks make a world of difference. If not, T+ variant would be my choice. Can always swap alloys later, and the cosmetic changes aren't down my alley anyway.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 12:04   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,384
Thanked: 1,981 Times
Default Re: Scoop! Ford Figo "Sports" variant coming up. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 6.32 lakhs

Petrol is weaker of the 2 engines as I understand. Any updates to the petrol motor? To make it more, say, "lively"?
Dry Ice is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The DC Avanti Sports Car : Auto Expo 2012 EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 36 lakhs! GTO Super-Cars & Imports in India 265 20th April 2017 20:58
Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs rowhun The Indian Car Scene 426 18th August 2016 10:01
Scoop Pics! Maruti Alto 800 Facelift caught. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 2.49 lakhs volkman10 The Indian Car Scene 52 9th June 2016 10:41
Scoop! Third-gen Skoda Superb spotted testing in India EDIT: Launched at Rs. 22.68 lakhs! Aditya The Indian Car Scene 101 23rd February 2016 18:51
Scoop Pics! Hyundai Elantra Facelift. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 14.13 lakhs amithsebastian The Indian Car Scene 30 23rd May 2015 17:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks