Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st February 2017, 15:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: ABS to be mandatory for all cars from April 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Very basic question?
Why is so many years being given to car manufactures to provide for such a basic safety feature like ABS?
I hope I made it clear on previous post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
If ABS was available in one of the trim (most probably the top end) deploying it across all variants is easy task (comparatively) Think of a wild example like Maruti Omni. That's going to be a complete new development of ABS and supporting systems, along with their validation and homologation which is quite time consuming (at least more than a year) That's the reason why the time frame for New launch is limited to Apr'18 and for current production vehicles it is set with some more buffer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but all new cars can have ABS as standard without making changes to the current setup so why give them so much time?
From viewers point 2 years may seem to be a long lead time, but on the design and development part, it is quite realistic. To have ABS in a non-ABS vehicle, below parts needs change / new development
- ABS Module, associated piping, wiring harness, brackets in body and surrounding parts to hook the harness, thermal insulators (whereever neccesary)
- Engine ECU
- Wheel speed sensors, encoder, wiring, modification in mating part to fix the sensor and encoder
- Meter cluster (to accommodate ABS warning lamp)

Once these aggregates are ready, now comes the tuning part, then the durability validation part, then homologation. Hope this justifies the necessity for such a lead time.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 16:04   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: ABS to be mandatory for all cars from April 2019

May be we also need a built in automatic breathalyzer in our cars. This may be the only way to curb the biggest menace on our roads. I am NOT a teetotaler but responsible drinking and driving is a must. During my entire five years in the UK I was invariably the 'designated driver'.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote