Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th July 2017, 19:25   #31
BHPian

Default Re: MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company

While this is good news for prospective customers, it might be difficult to establish a completely new brand name in the country, especially after all the negative press that GM got recently. Think about it: if you were in the market for a car today and there was a great looking SUV being offered at 8 lakhs by a new company which partnered with GM in the past, would you even consider it? There are very competitive products from Indian manufacturers and MNCs that have been here for more than 3 decades. Very few people, especially those with a lot of money to spare (and a love for Chinese products ), would bite the bullet. I have been on MG branded cars in Shanghai, and the build quality is better in cars offered by Hyundai for a little bit more money.
Nissan1180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 19:36   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Information about the products that will be launched under the MG Motors India brand will be revealed in the near future.
As of now, their lineup seems to be restricted to just two cars, in the home market. The MG3 hatchback and MGS crossover.

Both seem decent for India, but all of that depends on the final product and value proposition they offer.

Name:  mg32012.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  4207942881115748864.jpg
Views: 860
Size:  119.9 KB
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 21:32   #33
BHPian

I doubt if exit of GM will have any impact on SAIC in India. They will come and operate with a clean slate.
A. A JV does not mean they had any role in GM's exit from India
B. They are not going to make use of erstwhile presence of GM in they product advertisements
C. The product portfolio too has no resemblance to GM products sold in India

They must have done considerable research before making their entry decision, and they would be working with an entirely different strategy for profitable operations in India.

Last edited by i74js : 6th July 2017 at 21:34.
i74js is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 21:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

Buy at your peril. If a limited war or even a skirmish becomes a reality, and patriotism runs high, at least some of them are likely to go up in smoke. And I don't think insurance covers arson.

They can't even be driven on the roads and will have to be hidden for the duration.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 22:10   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Buy at your peril. If a limited war or even a skirmish becomes a reality, and patriotism runs high, at least some of them are likely to go up in smoke. And I don't think insurance covers arson.

They can't even be driven on the roads and will have to be hidden for the duration.
I hope you were taking a light-hearted jab at our infamous mobs.

I don't think mobs in India would be discerning enough to cherry pick cars based on their manufacturer's origin to commit arson. They work by the hour, and would be happy to burn anything that looks like an aam aadmi car.

Last edited by ashwin489 : 6th July 2017 at 22:18.
ashwin489 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 02:21   #36
BHPian

The amount of China bashing on here is ridiculous. And people who think people will be vary about a Chinese product are really naive.

If anything, in non-luxury sectors and this is the same the world over I think, Indian consumers are the LEAST patriotic.

The Chinese made iPad and iPhone took the cake in India. And Xiaomi which is a CHINESE phone company is absolutely destroying Indian phone makers .

Even in b2b sectors, you'll find Chinese excavators, Chinese bulldozers at work sites and most of the subcontractors in India for heavy technical projects like power plants are Chinese vendors.

There's no inherent bias againt the Chinese. The consumer is very rational and logical for the most part in India. Especially in commoditized segments.

Crane firms like Terex and Liebherr are already losers in India to the Chinese. Reliance Industries ordered 50-100 50 ton cranes from Zoomlion (chinese star of the Crane world).

And why not ? Competition is good for the buyer. It's what drives a good deal. If anything all these companies getting hurt and losing or leaving is just a sign of a real free market.

Last edited by D33-PAC : 7th July 2017 at 02:29.
D33-PAC is offline   Reply With Quote