Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th August 2017, 06:16   #46
BHPian

I pretty much have the same dilemma. Incidentally I actually checked out Jeep Wrangler specs yesterday and it does offer both ABS + Airbags. We all know the Wrangler off road credentials and the flexibility it offers in terms of removable roof/doors + drain holes for washing etc. I think Mahindra needs to take a leaf from Jeep on this one. Probably there can be like a cut off switch which deactivates your ABS/Airbags etc when you head off road, simple as that.
somitra1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 07:36   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Also how do you make airbags which do not deploy on impacts during off roading? do you give it a switch to keep off?
Most cars already have this switch for switching off passenger airbag. Generally hidden betwern the door and the side of the dashboard or simply a button on the dash console. So the technology is already there.

Quote:
ABS senses wheel spin and applies brakes, does it work during rock climbing?
On the contrary, ABS senses wheels locking up and RELEASES the brakes intermittently.

Quote:
People looking for a family car should look at a Maruti Alto or Honda city. You cannot take a true blue off roader and add creature comforts to it.
Looking at the "feature" and "creature comforts" in two of the world's best off roaders - the German Leopard2A6 and our own Arjun Mk2 - I disagree with this point. Why should my kid not be safe in a Thar exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
What's more important for an offroader is torque. Now, Mahindra will obviously use turbo-charging (& maybe direct injection?), but then my worry is turbo lag.

They'll need a lot of power to move the 1,700 kilo Jeep. If it is a 1.5L, that'll mean a big turbo.

If the Thar is going the petrol way, it'll need to have a larger petrol engine. 1.5L is just way too small.
Also - many like me might pick a Gypsy over a Thar if Petrol was the fuel of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Airbags alone won't make the Thar safer. It's a vintage body style with a lot of jugaad on the chassis. Put it through any crash test and it'll end up with zero stars.

Considering that crash-testing is going to become compulsory in India, this 'next-gen' Thar might just be a safer Thar (with the required structural modifications).
If I remember it right - our very own BehraamDhabhar had once said on the official THAR review thread (when he was still in M&M or just about to move on to the new challenges) that considering the upcoming vehicle specification & regulation updates in near future, it may not be possible to keep selling the THAR in its current structure & guise.

So it will have to be really an "All new" car with retention of cosmetics and appearances at most. Not sure if it holds true today though, there may of course have been changes made to those upcoming regulations based on feedback from auto-makers and experts. Afterall, that would make a lot of other vehicles illegal on the road also. So perhaps re-segmenting of vehicles in differently regulated categories will be required.

[I'm already reporting to the Mods myself to merge this post with the one above.]

Last edited by GTO : 12th August 2017 at 08:44. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Reinhard is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2017, 12:36   #48
BHPian

Default Re: Next-gen Mahindra Thar coming

Quote:
............People looking for a family car should look at a Maruti Alto or Honda city. You cannot take a true blue off roader and add creature comforts to it.
I would disagree with you on this point. There a many Thar aficionados who have modified the vehicle and use it as a family car.

A prime example is our fellow BHPian, cpboppana from Bangalore, who has documented the mods he has carried out in his thread 'Call of the wild'. If you spend some time going through this thread, it will be an eye opener.

Further, based on what I have read in this forum, I understand that the if late Mr. Behram Dhabhar, had been sanctioned a bigger budget, the Thar would have had a lot more 'creature' comforts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somitra1981 View Post
I pretty much have the same dilemma. Incidentally I actually checked out Jeep Wrangler specs yesterday and it does offer both ABS + Airbags. We all know the Wrangler off road credentials and the flexibility it offers in terms of removable roof/doors + drain holes for washing etc. I think Mahindra needs to take a leaf from Jeep on this one. Probably there can be like a cut off switch which deactivates your ABS/Airbags etc when you head off road, simple as that.
I too have checked out the specs of the Wrangler and have realise that the Thar finally has some serious competition.

Given the 'killer' pricing strategy adopted by FCA when launching the Compass, a premium category vehicle, I would expect that the Wrangler would be priced at a discount of at least 20%.

This implies that M&M would have to deliver both in terms of features and price to maintain market share. After all, M&M cannot depend on the fact that lots of us Thar aficionados believe that it is the best looking vehicle around at the moment. At least I do.

Guess it would make sense to wait a few months to decide.
Zezé is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote