Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th May 2017, 15:04   #46
BHPian

I'll wait for some professional reviews also before deciding anything. Rxl AMT is discontinued and existing stocks may have juicy discounts good enough to match retail price of CVT with similar equipment minus alloys and one airbag.
hondacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 10:45   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
I'll wait for some professional reviews also before deciding anything. Rxl AMT is discontinued and existing stocks may have juicy discounts good enough to match retail price of CVT with similar equipment minus alloys and one airbag.
From the link RavenAvi shared earlier.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-404822.aspx

Quote:
Renault has also added a mid-spec RxL trim with AMT to its diesel Duster line-up and it is priced Rs 11.87 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).
Not sure where you got the info about RxL being discontinued.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 11:37   #48
BHPian

The dealer said no new stock is coming from Renault and only existing inventory of rxl is being sold
hondacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 21:43   #49
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs

While coming from office, at Renault Baner, I saw a Brick Red or whatever named colored Duster with a sticker "X-Tronic" on rear hatch door. Car was new with Temp no. plate, is this petrol CVT Duster?
tushar_b is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 22:38   #50
BHPian

Test drove the petrol CVT today and was left quite impressed. No problem in power or pickup in city conditions. The gearbox is quite smooth and was a pleasure. Was pleasantly surprised by minor changes made to the interior, the red chrome finishes, the red stitching on the seat covers (the seat covers though fabric felt quite nice) etc. The black alloys look great. The only deal breaker was the mileage, which the MID was showing 100 kms for 14 liters.
reddevilgautam is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 22:45   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Unfortunately RxL Amt diesel duster is not available at any dealership atleast in faridabad and Delhi. I personally enquired at all of them. Dealers are not taking the booking and there are no stocks in the plant and also none with the dealers. Most of the dealers went out of stock for this trim by March. I was looking for an automatic diesel car in this price bracket and unfortunately only Vento is available and rest are costly. I am happy to book one if you can share which dealer has the stock of RxL amt diesel.
SpoiledBratt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 09:08   #52
BHPian

As I said earlier no further production of rxl AMT. Yes the mileage is a dismal 14-15 l /100 km which makes me wonder why on earth it would be so bad.
hondacity is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 19:40   #53
BHPian

Surprisingly the petrol CVT has zero coverage either through reviews or ownership reviews. Any TBHPians who bought the Duster CVT?
kvish is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:34   #54
BHPian

Test drove the petrol RXS CVT. Following are the key points

Key positives
- It was a great comfortable drive. Tall stance, ease of entering and exiting, easy sitting position, good ground clearance on poor roads, spacious and broad cabin and comfortable ride on bad roads. Basically the code DNA of a mini SUV is still there.
- With CVT, it was easy to drive as well. Driving fatigue prety much vanishes - from bumper to bumper traffic to typical traffic of say 70 kmph we see in city conditions. In bumper to bumper traffic all you do is slightly push and release the brakes.
- To achieve more fun factor while driving (the sort that is felt in manual variants) one needs to engage the manual gear change process.
- If it is left in purely auto mode ("D"), the drive is more laid back but not bad at all. Overtaking a truck on a road or general cruising at 100 kmph is achieved quite easily.

About offroading
Considering there are varying perceptions about what people call offroading. Here is what I felt
- It handled very well : poor broken roads, missing tarmac, occassional muddy patches, potholes. I drove through some bad patches in a village as well as in city. I feel it can handle typical watter logged roads but could not try myself. If any surface is offically a public road, this can handle it. I would say much like Bolero.
- If you mean dirt sport/rally/driving in a field or any surface that is not even officially a path, then I dont think this or any other vehicle below Safari 4x4 can handle it. Personally I would recommend at least Prado

Key Negatives: My list may be somewhat different from what others consider negatives. But for a Rs 11L+ car, I really missed the following, in descending order of priority
- Lack of automatic climate control
- No seat height adjustment
- buttons are not on the steering (they are behind steering)
- No AC vents in second row
- No navigation, even though big touchscren is given
- Rear view camera
- Dead pedal

Manual and automatics are completely differnet ball games altogether. My personal opinion is that people who are crazy about the fun in manual transmission, will not be satisfed with any automatic below BMWs and likes. Among the automatics, I would rate the drive quality in descending order of fun and ascending order of mileage as AT > CVT > AMT. There is not much Renault could have done except deciding what type to choose

Afternote:
It does fill a big gap in the in the market. Peope who want a high stance car with good drivig comfort, space, handling of poor roads while needing decent power should consider RXS CVT. By contrast Ecosport feels too small, including chairs that feel cramped while Creta is a bit too expensive.
ChupaRustam is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 19:58   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Surprisingly the petrol CVT has zero coverage either through reviews or ownership reviews. Any TBHPians who bought the Duster CVT?
I agree - I've been searching for reviews myself for a while but did not see anything on any of the major automotive portals or social media.

And, I took delivery of my Fiery Red Duster RXS CVT on 5/26 Possibly one of the first ones in Bengaluru I guess, though not sure about that. I did see one more red CVT last week near Kasturi Nagar.

Ownership review is on the cards for sure. For now, below are my two cents of having driven it in Bengaluru traffic (about 300 odd kms done so far I guess).
  • Ride quality is brilliant - especially for someone like me who came from a compact sedan prior to this. The road in Thubrahalli (Bengaluru) where I live is a proper broken, muddy road for a good 400-500m. Where my earlier car (Xcent) used to scrape its belly frequently, this chap (the Duster) simply glides over the road.
  • My first automatic in my 20 years of driving experience, and the learning for sure is fun for me.
  • Space is enough for 5 adults in my opinion.
  • The car is still in the run-in phase where I'm trying to restrict it to < 2500 rpm and < 60kmph - for these conditions, the CVT works just fine especially in Whitefield/Kundalahalli traffic.
  • There are some essentials that are missing in my opinion - more so for someone who migrated from a Hyundai! ACC, seat height adjustment, auto-dimming IRVM, folding ORVM, rear-view camera are things I miss for sure.
  • I had heard of the rubber-band effect of the CVT a lot, but now I'm getting to experience it first hand. Maybe I'm just getting used to the new transmission, but whenever I have to start from a stand-still (like from a red light at a traffic junction for instance), and I press the A-pedal and the rev meter climbs up (noisily, if I may add) to about 3000 rpm but the car moves forward very slowly. I guess it'll take me a little more time to get used to it - but the rubber band effect is definitely prominent in this CVT
  • Manual mode is something I am yet to fully understand, experiment and get acquainted with, but the few times I've used it, I liked it. Nowhere close to a true MT, however it does give me some control over the power of the vehicle. I'm waiting for my first servicing to get over (2000 kms or 2 months), then a short highway trip is on the cards. Will try it more then.
  • Fuel efficiency is dismal so far but that is expected given it's barely 350 kms old, my Duster. The MID shows liters-per-100km which I find interesting - as of now my MID shows 15.5 l/100 km. I'm optimistic about the FE figures getting better - realistically though my expectation of FE is around the 10-11kmpl (city traffic, 100% AC) mark once the vehicle settles in.

That's it from me for now - I will definitely put up photos and posts on my buying experience as well as my ownership thread soon, just waiting for my office project to get released (successfully) that's all!
arch_hornet is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 21:50   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch_hornet View Post
Fuel efficiency is dismal so far but that is expected given it's barely 350 kms old, my Duster. The MID shows liters-per-100km which I find interesting - as of now my MID shows 15.5 l/100 km. I'm optimistic about the FE figures getting better - realistically though my expectation of FE is around the 10-11kmpl (city traffic, 100% AC) mark once the vehicle settles in.
Congrats, enjoy your new ride!

The FE will definitely go up. I picked up a Duster AMT (110ps diesel) version 6 weeks back and the car gave me a FE of 10L/100km till 300 or so kms. After that the consumption has gone south, today it stands at 7.0L/100. The ODO as of today, is 1910kms.

If your car has ECO mode, turn it on.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 22:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
If your car has ECO mode, turn it on.
Thanks! Yes my expectation is also the same, fingers crossed

I believe my RXS CVT has an Eco mode as far as I remember, but is it advisable to use the eco mode in the run-in phase? Will it not adversely affect the new engine?
arch_hornet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2017, 22:36   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I believe my RXS CVT has an Eco mode as far as I remember, but is it advisable to use the eco mode in the run-in phase? Will it not adversely affect the new engine?
The Duster e-manual is not prohibiting the usage, so I guess it's okay. Time to seek expertise advise from the forum.....

Please see a screenshot attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Renault Duster to get a petrol CVT variant. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 10.32 lakhs-screenshot-20170613-223213.png  

sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 12:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
The Duster e-manual is not prohibiting the usage, so I guess it's okay.
Thanks - definitely something to try but I'll probably do that only after the 1000 km milestone. Have you tried it in your 110PS AMT? Any noticeable increase in FE?
arch_hornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2017, 13:02   #60
BHPian

Quote:
And, I took delivery of my Fiery Red Duster RXS CVT on 5/26 Possibly one of the first ones in Bengaluru I guess, though not sure about that. I did see one more red CVT last week near Kasturi Nagar.
Congrats on your new drive and wish you happy miles ahead!. Thanks for your initial ownership comments. How is the throttle response in bumper to bumper traffic?

Eagerly waiting for your full review with some good pictures! (Especially the fuel efficiency )
kvish is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote