Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th April 2017, 13:43   #31
BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Totally & completely agreed.

If I were Mary Barra, here's how I'd look at things:

- India is just one market of the 100 that I'm present in.

- After 20 years of being in India, my company isn't making a buck. On the other hand, it's losing hundreds of crores every year.

- We've tried selling multiple brands (Opel, Chevrolet) and cars from multiple origins (Europe, Korea, China, Japan). Nothing worked.

- There are two very formidable competitors who own 75% of the market (Maruti & Hyundai). At best, I'll get bread crumbs for dinner.

I would honestly spend my money & the time of my people elsewhere. If GM can exit Europe, they can leave India too.

Here's a screen grab of the SAIC GROUP'S Global Footprint (GMI is a wholly owned subsidiary of SAIC) and though GM's India address is mentioned there's isn't a mark in India. So an exit may be in the offing. GMI has basically fallen of the buyers radar, nothing except the obsolete Beat to cater to the mass market. The Trailblazer looks as plain as a 'plate of curd rice with nimbu achar' and is priced sky high and out of competition. SAIL Twins have just sailed away. India is not ready for cheap Chinese hand-me-downs: we've been spoilt by Suzuki and Hyundai.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8-saic-screen-grab.jpg  

Last edited by Durango Dude : 6th April 2017 at 13:52.
Durango Dude is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 14:05   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Totally & completely agreed.

If I were Mary Barra, here's how I'd look at things:

- India is just one market of the 100 that I'm present in.

- After 20 years of being in India, my company isn't making a buck. On the other hand, it's losing hundreds of crores every year.

- We've tried selling multiple brands (Opel, Chevrolet) and cars from multiple origins (Europe, Korea, China, Japan). Nothing worked.

- There are two very formidable competitors who own 75% of the market (Maruti & Hyundai). At best, I'll get bread crumbs for dinner.

I would honestly spend my money & the time of my people elsewhere. If GM can exit Europe, they can leave India too.
Is that the MBA in you talking?

I agree that markets are brutal in India. But the reason for their exit should not be purely monetary.

As a brand, Chevy had a strong base. Keyword: HAD

Then they decided to be greedy. Not anyone's fault but that decision took them down the path of introducing cheap Chinese models which couldn't hold a candle to their competitors. Products were either crazy expensive or let down by after sales support. Having said that, as a one-time Spark owner, I absolutely had no issues with Chevy. But, I felt more plush in my Spark than when I checked out the Sail sedan.

Now coming to the exit, I think they are making a mistake. I'd throw an analogy of mutual funds to this. You need to stay invested to see the gains. And keep a watch on what the market is doing. The second part is where they absolutely get it wrong. They are so disconnected with the market here. What's to say that they are doing a better job in other markets if this is their behavior?

If they stay invested in India, they do have a chance. If they leave, they'll feel every bit of the pain when (not if) they have to come back. No amount of branding will remove the indelible memory from the India car buyer. We rarely give folks a second chance and even if we do, the response is mediocre at best.

What could they do better:

1. Do a product re-structure. Fast! They have enough infrastructure and cars in their global portfolio to support a fast turnaround.

2. Quit with the Chinese nonsense. People in India don't want it.

3. Start synchronizing Chevrolet with American (not Chinese / not Indian)

4. Don't throw in halo products and call it a day. A celebrity driving a Chevy halo product does nothing on the ground

5. Explore JV / Partnerships / Alliances. And not on American terms.

6. Bring in the SUVs / Trucks - it's definitely a differentiation.

I do recognize that the pit they've dug themselves into maybe too deep to get out of. So, that's something to consider. Fast forward 10-15 years, Chevrolet entering India would have a completely different market in their hands.

Either way, just because of my experience with the Spark, I'll be sad to see them go.
Mad Max is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 15:04   #33
psn
BHPian

Oh, if this is true, this is absolutely terrible. I own a nearly 2 year old Cruze and if GM exits, I wouldn't even know what to do with the car. Can't sell it because the depreciation is so high, that selling it will mean huge losses. Can't keep it because maintenance of cars of companies which don't exist is difficult and expensive.

If this happens, it will happen to me the second time in my life. First time was with Daewoo Matiz and second time this.

Though, GM exiting seems to be logical from several point of views, especially because, GM really doesn't have any car in its portfolio which will fit in well in the Indian market. Cruze is their small car in USA, but a premium D segment in India. The Malibu and Impala are higher segments, which hardly gives numbers in India. Nor does Chevy badge warrant that kind of prices.

Among the small cars that they have in their US portfolio, the Spark(beat in India) and Sonic(Sail Hatchback in India) are already here, and not going too far in its present form.

Unfortunately, their R&D also hasn't done much either in so many years. Their acquisition of Daewoo to hasn't gone too far I guess, so no Korean developed cars, that could suit Indian Markets. SIAC, well, they've burnt their fingers with those cars in India.

So, I guess...nowhere to go...

Or do they have options and will to stay and fight it out of the spiral that they have got themselves into, with decades of wrong decisions. Lets wait and watch...
psn is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 15:04   #34
BHPian

As a owner of Chevvy car, I am a bit concerned with the after sales support of their cars going forward.

Can someone help Chevvy owners with the following questions
1. Where can we get Consumables like oil filters, air filters etc.
2. How to procure specific engine and related parts like clutch-plates, shock absorbers etc which need to be replaced for older cars
3. How/who will do critical damage repairs and how will specific engine parts like pistons etc procured ?

As far as I know, GM does not sell parts over the counter like Hyundai and Maruti, so that makes this even more important.
NiInJa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 15:33   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The silence is deafening. Usually, when negative reports come out that aren't true, the company's press department sends out releases to everyone within 6 - 24 hours (maximum). They literally bomb your inbox.

No word at all from GM India. They're mum.

This rumour might just turn into reality.
GTO is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 15:58   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I'd throw an analogy of mutual funds to this. You need to stay invested to see the gains. And keep a watch on what the market is doing.
GM India is like a mutual fund whose NAV keeps going to zero every 5 years. And then it goes back to its investors (GM International, in this case) for more money - only to lose all of it again.

Now would you invest in such a mutual fund?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiInJa View Post
As a owner of Chevvy car, I am a bit concerned with the after sales support of their cars going forward.
Talegaon plant making cars for exports - this is a good sign. GM India is not shutting shop completely. It will still be an operational business entity. It is quite possible that GM India ensures ample supply of spare parts in the open market. Servicing needs to be done at third party outlets though.

Last edited by smartcat : 6th April 2017 at 15:59.
smartcat is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 20:21   #37
BHPian

This just in the nick of time when I was planning to put my money on a Cruze AT!!!
octane_100 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 23:30   #38
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised as to how come reference of this thread is missed though SAIC Motors have been mentioned many times.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4155200 (MG Motors India formed by SAIC, China’s largest automobile company)
carwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 10:30   #39
psn
BHPian

I am also member of Chevrolet India page on Facebook, where people have raised this query. Chevrolet has answered to some of those queries as follows.
"We would like to inform you that there is no such official announcement from GM India for closing their operations. kindly ignore such rumors. Regards, chevrolet India."
psn is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 11:11   #40
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psn View Post
I am also member of Chevrolet India page on Facebook, where people have raised this query. Chevrolet has answered to some of those queries as follows.
"We would like to inform you that there is no such official announcement from GM India for closing their operations. kindly ignore such rumors. Regards, Chevrolet India."
Infact somone has posted the link to the team-bhp article on FB, and Chevrolet India has replied to that also as follows:"Good Morning, On the contrary. We have long term future plans. No need to worry about. We are here to stay. Regards, Chevrolet India"
psn is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 11:14   #41
BHPian

Autocar reports Beat launch "sometime" next month.

Link

So business goes on I guess?
400notout is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 12:07   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Infact somone has posted the link to the team-bhp article on FB, and Chevrolet India has replied to that also as follows:"Good Morning, On the contrary. We have long term future plans. No need to worry about. We are here to stay. Regards, Chevrolet India"
Well, their PR agency ought to be sacked They announced factory closures without anticipating the impact on retail operations. Knowing how potential "fake" news and conclusions spread like wildfire, the PR agency should have known better!
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 12:14   #43
psn
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well, their PR agency ought to be sacked They announced factory closures without anticipating the impact on retail operations. Knowing how potential "fake" news and conclusions spread like wildfire, the PR agency should have known better!
I totally agree. I spent last evening wondering what I can do with my lovely chevy Cruze if the rumor does come true.
psn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 17:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Here's a screen grab of the SAIC GROUP'S Global Footprint (GMI is a wholly owned subsidiary of SAIC) and though GM's India address is mentioned there's isn't a mark in India. So an exit may be in the offing. GMI has basically fallen of the buyers radar, nothing except the obsolete Beat to cater to the mass market. The Trailblazer looks as plain as a 'plate of curd rice with nimbu achar' and is priced sky high and out of competition. SAIL Twins have just sailed away. India is not ready for cheap Chinese hand-me-downs: we've been spoilt by Suzuki and Hyundai.
I think there's a correction on the map attached. Hamburger must be Hamburg
ron_9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 18:46   #45
BHPian

Quote:

You made a very important point. As a business leader, she should just focus on spending time and energy of personnel where they can make money as opposed to losing money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

Then they decided to be greedy. Not anyone's fault but that decision took them down the path of introducing cheap Chinese models which couldn't hold a candle to their competitors. Products were either crazy expensive or let down by after sales support. Having said that, as a one-time Spark owner, I absolutely had no issues with Chevy. But, I felt more plush in my Spark than when I checked out the Sail sedan.

Now coming to the exit, I think they are making a mistake. ....

If they leave, they'll feel every bit of the pain when (not if) they have to come back. No amount of branding will remove the indelible memory from the India car buyer. We rarely give folks a second chance and even if we do, the response is mediocre at best.

What could they do better:
1. Do a product re-structure. Fast! They have enough infrastructure and cars in their global portfolio to support a fast turnaround.
2. Quit with the Chinese nonsense. People in India don't want it.
3. Start synchronizing Chevrolet with American (not Chinese / not Indian)
4. Don't throw in halo products and call it a day. A celebrity driving a Chevy halo product does nothing on the ground
5. Explore JV / Partnerships / Alliances. And not on American terms.
6. Bring in the SUVs / Trucks - it's definitely a differentiation.
My take is that this will be a good move. Right now, they are in no position to win-back unless they spend a lot of time, energy and resources into regaining market share. That said, all through this thread we know that the top 2 companies with the biggest market share didn't make it overnight. Maruti had the advantage of starting first and they really used that opportunity well. Hyundai put up (and still does) a long continuing fight and see where they are now. It's not easy. Chevy will need to be as focused as Hyundai or perhaps even more to make a turn around in India and that simply may not be their focus at this point after being out of focus for decades. And turn-around has to be in several areas product portfolio, marketing, sales, services there are just too many areas they need to focus and spend their time and resources on. As a business leader I doubt they'd even want to consider JVs, I mean who would want to have a JV with someone who is not doing so well in the market?

further, I believe that to get a good market share, they also need to look at the sub-10 lakh segement very well. The chinese "nonsense" was just one way of saving money as I see it.

Quote:
I believe they are on an exit route. If they really wanted to have a long term future plan, why stop selling in domestic market? This response might just be to stop a panic among existing Chevy owners and it could send a wrong message and likely damage whatever sales they may get until they exit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I guess the PR agency of theirs have never been good in all these times, not surprised that they are silent at the moment. Perhaps they have been sacked too
sudeepg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote