Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th May 2017, 12:52   #106
BHPian

Default re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
Who is going yo buy these 2000 units with all these rumors? And if they announce their exit officially, then how are they expecting to sell these units? People are already shy of GM and now all this!!
If they plan to sell, I would be ready to take one (though at a decent discount). I am using AVEO UVA for 9 yrs and is an extremely practical car for sedate driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Being an existing Beat owner, I don't really care about GM operations in India. Beat has been an excellent companion, no major niggles in 7 years (76000KM) of ownership so far, but GM's play here in India has been negligible. So it wont make any difference to me if they completely wind up (new car owners have to worry though). What I need is OTC sale support of spare parts.

Chevy cars are no rockets employing any state-of-the-art technologies anyway. I will be more than happy to service it on local garages provided spares are available
In my ongoing 9 yrs of ownership, the major issues for were
1. Battery replacement: after 5 yrs
2. thermostat flanges got rusted and broke: 8th yr- had to be replaced
3. CAM Shaft sensor failure: 9th yr, had to be replaced

Even now the vehicle does not have any major rattles and finish is very durable. On this aspects, I wouldn't mind going for another chevy and can manage with local service centres.

Last edited by Doo_Dev : 18th May 2017 at 12:53.
Doo_Dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:12   #107
Senior - BHPian

Confirmed.

GM ending domestic sales.
To focus on exports.
Chevrolet brand will be phased out by the end of 2017.
Existing Chevrolet customers will continue to be supported.

Source: GM Official Website
ashutoshb is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:31   #108
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Pathetic! They're just taking the easy way out!

I don't know what's up with GM's top management. They keep on pulling out of market after market.

India is not alone in the latest round of GM's supposed "restructuring". They're selling off their South African & East African plants to Isuzu, and are pulling out of those markets as well.

The 2008 global financial crisis and subsequent Uncle Sam bailout had kind of transformed GM into "Government Motors". It looks like they're still trapped in that mentality (always taking the easy way out).

It's tragic to see any brand exit the market, even more tragic for one which was among the top five or six a few years ago.

It's Opel all over again for Chevrolet owners. Whatever resale value their cars have will slowly evaporate.

It looks like a private launch of the facelifted "Intelli Beat" will be held (along with the Essentia maybe), just for the Uber/Ola operators. Why bother launching anything now?

Last edited by RSR : 18th May 2017 at 13:41.
RSR is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:37   #109
psn
BHPian

Angry re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

and here seems to be a confirmation:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/general...dia-1495092601
psn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:39   #110
BHPian

Wow, didn't expect this so soon! There were possibilities for sure, but I thought GM was going to give it a last shot with the new essentia and the refreshed Beat. Guess the essentia is only for export markets now. Opel first and Chevrolet now, 2 we'll know brands sinking in India due to sheer product not being up there. They were one of the very few MNCs to have a very wide range of cars under 10-12 lakhs and yet faced failure.
motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:42   #111
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Rumour has been confirmed. Received the following statement. GM boss is taking a media call in the afternoon.

Quote:
General Motors India is announcing today that it will focus on its growing vehicle export manufacturing operations at Talegaon and cease sales in the domestic market by the end of 2017.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:43   #112
BANNED

A report in TOI.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/b...w/58731138.cms
MercFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:43   #113
BHPian

It was shocking but we have to accept it as reality! I was on the verge of selling off my car but with this news i think there is no point is going to the used car market now. The only sensible option seems to be to keep the car as long as possible. The availability of spares will also not be that easy considering we won't have the authorized service centers.
What are the owners on the forum going to do?
Mr.Beat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:44   #114
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet to stop selling cars in India? EDIT: Confirmed on page 8

Another news:

Quote:
U.S.-based General Motors Co. is likely to stop selling its Chevrolet vehicles in India but the world’s third largest carmaker will continue to manufacture and export cars from the country, two people with direct knowledge of the matter told BloombergQuint requesting anonymity.

The company is expected to make an official announcement on Thursday that it will shut down the Indian sales arm– Chevrolet Sales India Pvt. Ltd. The carmaker’s India head, Kaher Kazem, had visited the global headquarters to discuss the details, said the people quoted above. A team of senior officials from the U.S. is currently in India, they said.

“We do not respond to speculation. As we have said on numerous occasions, we are currently evaluating our future product portfolio,” General Motors India said in a statement to BloombergQuint. “Our product launches are progressing to plan and we continue to implement our consolidation of manufacturing at Talegaon,” it said.
Source
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:48   #115
Senior - BHPian

More on GM's exit,

New Beat launch off. Severance pay-3 months for employees less than 3 years. 45 days per year for those above 3 yrs.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th May 2017 at 13:51.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 13:48   #116
BHPian

And there are half page ads in Mumbai newspapers today for the Cruz at a special price of 13.99* lakhs. Looks a last ditch effort to sell unsold invents.
SPARKled is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 14:13   #117
BHPian

Great - I had always assumed my 11 year old Aveo would hardly find a taker and now I know there will be only one taker - the local steel scrapyard who will buy by weight.

At least I am glad the car had some decent sheet metal now that it will be sold by the kilos.

It was a dead brand and the announcement only formalized what the consumers had judged by their lack of interest in GM's portfolio. Truly sad to see my first car's brand go this way.
Hells Bells is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 14:18   #118
BHPian

Confirmed : GM to stop selling cars in India by 2017 end.

Source : Financial Express http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...xports/674425/

Last edited by The Brutailer : 18th May 2017 at 14:20.
The Brutailer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 14:22   #119
BHPian

Seems its true

Link:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...autonews-blast
arjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2017, 14:26   #120
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Chevrolet planning to wind up operations in India?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Being an existing Beat owner....What I need is OTC sale support of spare parts.
Chevy cars are no rockets employing any state-of-the-art technologies anyway. I will be more than happy to service it on local garages provided spares are available
Yes the cars can be repaired at local garages, however parts are a big problem. Spares shops get the spares from dealers, remove the MRP sticker and sell at exorbitant prices. Substitute parts are not good in quality. Coupled with GM's stupid policy of very less child parts, it is a nightmare to source genuine parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well maintained and niggle free 2011 Cruze LT with 93k km. Keep or sell? Real dilemma now!
Sell it, before you regret it. Keep it only if you plan to continue with it for next 5 years. Service will become difficult for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doo_Dev View Post
If they plan to sell, I would be ready to take one (though at a decent discount).
You are lucky to face less issues, but trust me sourcing parts is a real pain. Bumper locks, rubber seals, side mirrors, brake pads are regular items and they are not available in the market. In service center due to no child part policy you are ripped off royally. So either be content with substitute parts or get ripped off. For example to replace the ORVM mirror, one has to replace the whole mirror assembly in beat. Cost Rs. 2500 + taxes. Genuine mirror not available in market. So be content with a Rs. 100 plain mirror. Gear knob cracks, replace the whole gear stick for Rs. 2000.

Here are some more details. Link
Quote:
GM says it would no longer market its Chevrolet brand - its only brand of cars marketed in India - despite India's promise as a market set to overtake Japan as the world's third largest in the next decade. But it doesn't plan to leave India entirely.

It plans to keep operating its tech centre in Bengaluru and to refocus its India manufacturing operations by making one of its two assembly plants in India – the one at Talegaon, about 100 km (62 miles) southeast of Mumbai – into an export-only factory. It plans to sell the Halol plant in Gujarat to Chinese joint venture partner SAIC Motor Corp .

"We are not giving up benefits India offers as a local cost manufacturing hub with an excellent supplier base which is extremely competitive," Stefan Jacoby, GM's chief of international operations, said in an interview.

Jacoby said the move to turn the Talegaon assembly into an export-only plant will not impact GM Korea and its position as an export hub. India will export vehicles mostly to Mexico and South America, among other destinations, while GM Korea will ship Korean-made cars to North America, Southeast Asia, Australia and Pakistan.

Dan Ammann, GM’s global president, said the restructuring actions for India announced on Thursday in essence cancels "most" of the plan GM unveiled in 2015 to invest $1 billion in India to deploy newly-designed vehicle architecture as part of a Global Emerging Market vehicle programme or GEM for short, and build a new line of low-cost vehicles in India.

The decisions to significantly scale down GM's operations in India are results of months of analysis over "where we are going to place our bets (globally) as a company," Ammann said in an interview.

Ammann said GM looked at many options but determined that the investment originally planned for India would not deliver the kind of return other global opportunities offered.

The GEM vehicle architecture, which is being engineered as an emerging-market platform technology for markets such as China, Brazil, Mexico and India, was envisioned to help GM come up with more cost-competitive cars. But for India, GEM was still too pricey a technology since it has been designed under GM's global vehicle safety, performance and other standards.

To be successful in India, Jacoby said one option for GM was to "give up on implementing global platform and vehicle standards". The other was to team up with a local partner to run full operations as an automaker designing products and manufacturing and marketing products locally.

"We have made the decision that these two options are not for us," Jacoby said.
After reading the above article I have only one thing to say "LOSERS"!!

Last edited by PraNeel : 18th May 2017 at 14:40. Reason: Added news article.
PraNeel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote