Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th March 2017, 21:33   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Aadhaar to be mandatory for driving licence

We just got an update from the Supreme court , Aadhaar Card Can't Be Mandatory For Government's Welfare Schemes: Supreme Court
nitishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2017, 17:49   #32
BHPian

If your name on Aadhar and DL match, existing system can already pull DL details to store them in digital locker.

https://digilocker.gov.in/index.php
Thilak29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2017, 23:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Government has recently made the existence of the Adhaar number as a condition precedent for undertaking several activities; from registering marriages to execution of property documents. Will those who encroach upon the affairs of others be able to get access to bank accounts and other important details by breaking into the system? If this ever becomes possible the consequences would be far messier.
Came across this old article on the dangers of aadhar. the most interesting bit is the author
http://www.bjp.org/index.php?option=...rticle&id=8683
greenhorn is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 00:21   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
... the most interesting bit is the author ...
Was intrigued at seeing the URL even, before I clicked on your link!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 01:19   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Came across this old article on the dangers of aadhar. the most interesting bit is the author
Thanks for the link, I have some respect for the author now and one must appreciate the fact that he took a stance in an otherwise spineless bureaucratic structure which relies solely on the man at the top.

Though I stay far, far away from communications of the "rulers", sometimes some people do make sense Subramanian Swamy for one and now Arun Jaitley. Will their fears be proven right though? Absolutely, because they have little to no say in how the system works.

Aadhar, had no business coming into existence in the first place.. now let this not be fodder for those who are pro-Aadhar to tell me that the government is there to rule us and we must conform else we are criminals, I don't buy that argument one bit. Originally it was, as others have said, a system where people who needed benefits could be monitored, now its just becoming a part of the upcoming Orwellian State.

Would I have to get one? Unfortunately, yes. I'm a prisoner in this democracy and have little say on my own rights to privacy.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 02:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

It'll be interesting to know if anyone can confirm that they refused UAE or UK work permit or an extended OZ visit visa because the respective countries asked for IRIS scan/fingerprints, biometric identification or medical history data.

It's all sensitive private data. There's​ always risk of data theft anywhere and everywhere. And of course it's upto the individual. Don't want to give the data? Don't apply for the visa. But I just wanted to know if someone has exercised their right not to give data to these countries.
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 08:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
It'll be interesting to know if anyone can confirm that they refused UAE or UK work permit or an extended OZ visit visa because the respective countries asked for IRIS scan/fingerprints, biometric identification or medical history data.

It's all sensitive private data. There's​ always risk of data theft anywhere and everywhere. And of course it's upto the individual. Don't want to give the data? Don't apply for the visa. But I just wanted to know if someone has exercised their right not to give data to these countries.

Well shouldn't the correct question be " which other country in the world forces biometric data collection from its citizens"

If I remember right, Obama tried to bring in a national id with sensitive biometric data and it was met with stiff opposition.

Is there any other country which has implemented such scheme?
jraj is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 09:32   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

The way the Aadhar mania is developing you may need it for going to the loo very soon.

More seriously Aadhar can become a pain for married ladies, who change their names. Quite often their professional degrees may be in one name, but the name in use will change. remember in the US which is supposed to be far more accommodative, Hilary Rodham was forced to change her surname to Clinton at one point.

Who remembers the maiden surnames of Theresa May, Angela Merkel, or Margaret Thatcher.
sgiitk is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 14:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Well shouldn't the correct question be " which other country in the world forces biometric data collection from its citizens"

Is there any other country which has implemented such scheme?
That's my question as well. Countries force foreigners to part with biometric data. Is that ok?
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 14:20   #40
BHPian

Quote:
That's my question as well. Countries force foreigners to part with biometric data. Is that ok?
There is a big difference between the two. If a foreign country forces you to give your biometrics, you can choose to not go there. If your own country does that, where will you go?

All the countries in the world give more rights to the citizens compared to the aliens, because the govt is elected by the citizens, not aliens. So comparing compulsorily collecting biometrics of citizens to that of collecting biometrics of aliens is not appropriate.

Quote:
It's all sensitive private data. There's​ always risk of data theft anywhere and everywhere.
In the case of Aadhaar, a more worrying issue than data theft is the misuse of the data by the authorities. The Aadhaar act has a legal provision for the authorities to use the biometric of any individual if they wish so. Is there any democratic country in the world with such a provision?

Last edited by deerhunter : 30th March 2017 at 14:33.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 14:49   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
There is a big difference between the two. If a foreign country forces you to give your biometrics, you can choose to not go there. If your own country does that, where will you go?
Classic case of biting the hand that feeds you, and then having the nerve to give a sermon on why its for your own good.

And the final nail in the coffin, even the supreme court has said that it cannot stop the government from enforcing Aadhar requirement for filing taxes.

Quote:
http://www.bjp.org/index.php?option=...rticle&id=8683
So, this guy who was ranting about Aadhar's potential issues has essentially fast-tracked it into becoming the status quo. Ironic.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th March 2017 at 22:50. Reason: Deleting objectionable word
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 15:02   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a big difference between the two. If a foreign country forces you to give your biometrics, you can choose to not go there.
If you had an answer for the below question, you could have quoted me and replied. Else what's your the point in the telling me what is already there in my post?

Quote:

Don't want to give the data? Don't apply for the visa. But I just wanted to know if someone has exercised their right not to give data to these countries.
Quote:

In the case of Aadhaar, a more worrying issue than data theft is the misuse of the data by the authorities. The Aadhaar act has a legal provision for the authorities to use the biometric of any individual if they wish so. Is there any democratic country in the world with such a provision?
Quote:
It's all sensitive private data. There's​ always risk of data theft anywhere and everywhere.
Is the understanding that the level of data security in India is below par in comparison to developed countries? I guess its safe to assume yes?

Without ruffling feathers or hurting egos, I'm just asking if an Indian is jolly happy to give bio metrics to UK or UAE or OZ because there's monetary (Job) or personal benefit (Tour/Family visits) but is suspicious of giving it to Indian government?

With regard to making the damn card mandatory, I wish education and sanitation facilities was made mandatory and provided to the population before jumping to tech changes like Aadhaar.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 15:15   #43
BHPian

Quote:
If you had an answer for the below question, you could have quoted me and replied. Else what's your the point in the telling me what is already there in my post?

Is the understanding that the level of data security in India is below par in comparison to developed countries? I guess its safe to assume yes?

Without ruffling feathers or hurting egos, I'm just asking if an Indian is jolly happy to give bio metrics to UK or UAE or OZ because there's monetary (Job) or personal benefit (Tour/Family visits) but is suspicious of giving it to Indian government?

With regard to making the damn card mandatory, I wish education and sanitation facilities was made mandatory and provided to the population before jumping to tech changes like Aadhaar.
You are not getting the point. The main privacy issue wrt Aadhar is not related to data theft. It is related to misuse of the data by the government. So there is no use in comparing it with foreign countries collecting your biometrics, because in most countries those cannot be legally used against you in a court of law. But in the case of Aadhar, biometric info can be used against you.

If the issue was only data theft, then people would have objected to collecting biometrics for issuing passport, license etc
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 15:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Just for the information, education is free for all in India since well over a decade now.

The idea of Aadhar is that it will help targeted delivery of services and benefits while preventing pilferage.

Quote:
You are not getting the point. The main privacy issue wrt Aadhar is not related to data theft. It is related to misuse of the data by the government.
Government already knows where you live, which vehicles you own, how much you earn and possibly a lot more. If government is bent upon misusing data, they already have 99 information with them already, Aadhar is just one. Why so much lack of trust now?

Quote:
If the issue was only data theft, then people would have objected to collecting biometrics for issuing passport, license etc
Aadhar is as much a government initiative as passport and license. Isn't it?

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 30th March 2017 at 15:35. Reason: Added some more response
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 15:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Government already knows where you live, which vehicles you own, how much you earn and possibly a lot more. If government is bent upon misusing data, they already have 99 information with them already, Aadhar is just one. Why so much lack of trust now?
It doesnt matter if they know where i live or what food i eat or what clothes i wear. It doesnt even matter if they have my full biometric info (they already have through my passport). But what matters is, the biometric collected for Aadhaar can be used by them for whatever purpose they wish in the name of "national security", and it can be used against me legally in a court of law to implicate me in anything. The biometric collected for other purposes (passport, license etc) cannot be legally used against me.

Why not use Aadhar only for its original intended purpose? Why give blanket power to the government to access and use biometric info of citizens in whichever way they want to?

Last edited by deerhunter : 30th March 2017 at 15:45.
deerhunter is offline   Reply With Quote