Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th April 2017, 18:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Mercedes-Benz S-Class Connoisseur's Edition launched at Rs. 1.21 crore

Mercedes-Benz has launched the S-Class Connoisseur's Edition in India. The car is available in two variants - S 350 d and S 400 and is priced at Rs. 1.21 crore and Rs. 1.32 crore, respectively (ex-showroom, Pune).

The most significant addition to the S-Class Connoisseur's Edition is a feature called Night View Assist Plus. This feature is claimed to enhance driver visibility during night drives. It uses infrared lamps to illuminate the road ahead. An infrared camera placed behind the windscreen then reads this illuminated area and displays the output as a greyscale image on the car's digital instrument cluster. A thermal imaging camera mounted on the front grille distinguishes any pedestrians and animals in front of the car and indicates their presence on the display of the instrument cluster.

The Connoisseur's Edition also gets an updated executive rear seat behind the front passenger. This seat comes with extended thigh support and a recline angle of up to 43.5 degrees. Additionally, it gets a cushion bag under the seat cushion, which has been engineered to deploy in the event of a frontal crash. This cushion bag can avoid the seat occupant from sliding beneath the seatbelt, while the rear seat is reclined heavily.

The S-Class Connoisseur's Edition further features an Air-Balance package that offers the option to choose from among six fragrances. The fragrance can be changed by simply changing the fragrance flask that is mounted in the generator located inside the glove box. Additionally, this package also comes with a filtering feature for the incoming and recirculating air. An ionisation function is also on offer that fills the cabin with negatively charged oxygen ions.

No mechanical updates have been made to the S-Class Connoisseur's Edition. The S 350 d continues to be powered by a 3.0-litre, V6 diesel engine that churns out 255 BHP @ 3,600 rpm and 620 Nm @ 1,600-2,400 rpm. The S 400 variant draws power from a 3.0-litre, V6 petrol engine that develops 329 BHP @ 5,250-6,000 rpm and 480 Nm @ 1,600-4,000 rpm. Both these engines are mated to a 7-speed automatic transmission.

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Connoisseur's Edition launched at Rs. 1.21 crore-unnamed.jpg

Mercedes-Benz S-Class Connoisseur's Edition launched at Rs. 1.21 crore-unnamed-1.jpg
Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 5th April 2017 at 18:51.
dZired is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 22:27   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz S-Class Connoisseur's Edition launched at Rs. 1.21 crore

As usual, Mercedes' launches a "Special Edition" to exhaust existing kits before the Facelift/Next-gen car.

Highly doubt the utility of the Night View, although the updated Executive seat sounds nice!
sidparekh is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 02:28   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz S-Class Connoisseur's Edition launched at Rs. 1.21 crore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Mercedes-Benz has launched the S-Class Connoisseur's Edition in India.

Anyone have any clue whether this edition has front memory seats package? Last i heard the S350 does not have it which is absurd really.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 03:17   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mijnoirhammer67 View Post
Anyone have any clue whether this edition has front memory seats package?
According to the 'Autocar' report, it does. The brochure reads "Up to three different positions for the front seats, steering column and exterior mirrors."

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidparekh View Post
As usual, Mercedes' launches a "Special Edition" to exhaust existing kits before the Facelift/Next-gen car.

Highly doubt the utility of the Night View, although the updated Executive seat sounds nice!
I feel that more than "to exhaust existing kits before the Facelift", it is a response to the "Executive Lounge" package being offered by the BMW 7 Series. The Launch Edition S 500 variants came with split rear seats, but after that, buyers had to go in for the longer and more expensive Maybach variants to get more pampering accommodation in the rear. Now this ‘Connoisseur’s Edition' brings the S Class almost on par with the 7 Series in the rear seating department.

The 'Night View Assist Plus' is a very important driving assistance system, I feel. It would have been nicer if Mercedes added laser headlights too. An automatic boot-lid mechanism would also have been very welcome.
Yeldo is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 09:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

That's some really fancy name. They could have just called special edition, hope the sales people know their French.

Night vision is useless, better to buy just the button and replace the blank one.

The rear seat package is good but remember it's only one rear passenger, not for the one sitting behind the driver. Understandable. But be warned of family wars to decide who gets the business class vs economy class.

I hope the front seats are ventilated, it's the most important feature for me. Even more than memory or electrically adjustable.

Given that the prices have reached stratospheric levels, it's time we get the real deal at least as options. ABC instead of airmatic, Nappa leather, AMG sports package etc.
androdev is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 10:57   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldo View Post
I feel that more than "to exhaust existing kits before the Facelift", it is a response to the "Executive Lounge" package being offered by the BMW 7 Series.
Could also be to remind everyone that an S-Class is an S-Class, after the very spacious E-Class LWB's introduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
The rear seat package is good but remember it's only one rear passenger, not for the one sitting behind the driver. Understandable. But be warned of family wars to decide who gets the business class vs economy class.
Really? Can the back seat of any S-Class be considered economy class ?
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 11:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Should be more like first vs business.
Wonder why MB decided to skip night vision when they launched the car in India. They had showcased this feature considerably in their international reviews at the time of launch.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 12:08   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The rear seat package is good but remember it's only one rear passenger, not for the one sitting behind the driver. ... But be warned of family wars to decide who gets the business class vs economy class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 'executive seat' or 'lounge seat' or 'business seat' arrangements offered by Mercedes, BMW and Audi all are limited to the left side rear passenger seat in their full functionality. It would be impossible for the rear passenger seat behind the driver to be provided with these 'seat away' and seat collapse functions. However, the two individual rear seats provided by Audi and BMW certainly looks more luxurious than this 'Connoisseur' arrangement.

Quote:
ABC instead of airmatic, Nappa leather, ...
I would prefer no air suspension at all. And Mercedes still offers 18 inch wheels on the Diesel variant which is a better option for our roads. The BMW 7 Series comes with 19 inch wheels in all except the base DPE variant and gets air suspension all round.

On leather (not on the S Class), I was offered three different explanations by Mercedes sales people. The first was that "genuine leather would crack in the Indian sun". I asked him how Mercedes sold cars in Dubai. Then another executive told me that the "thickness" (whatever that meant) was not good enough in Indian leather. Then a third explanation was offered that there were pollution issues in the leather industry and the animal slaughter needed to procure leather was a sensitive issue in India. (This discussion took place almost 2 years back). To my query how then BMW and other manufacturers offered leather, there was no reply.

I should say, that after touching and feeling the leather that BMW offers, the seat material definitely feels poorer in the Mercedes models.
Yeldo is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 14:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Unfortunately without heavy recline and calf support, it can't be called business class. Of course, it is not economy either. Hope you get what I mean.

Quote:
I would prefer no air suspension at all. And Mercedes still offers 18 inch wheels on the Diesel variant which is a better option for our roads. The BMW 7 Series comes with 19 inch wheels in all except the base DPE variant and gets air suspension all round.
Why don't you like air suspension?

Quote:
On leather...
Never heard a convincing explanation of why the seats are universally cheap in cars sold here. Cheaper/tough/art leather, poor bolstering/contours, not much colour choice, less surface covered with leather, etc. I don't know why. Hoping Lexus would do differently.

I was in Mercedes showroom the other day and I got tired of seeing their tough ivory white seats in every car in the showroom.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 14:47   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you like air suspension?
Air suspension is good in an ideal world, but for some, regular suspension and smaller wheels with higher profile tyres are more reliable and better for use on roads that are not- so - good.

Quote:
Never heard a convincing explanation of why the seats are universally cheap in cars sold here.
Whatever excuses they offer are confused and not convincing at all. Especially when BMW, their chief competitors, offer superior leather. Mercedes offer Nappa leather on locally assembled Maybach S 500, and thus all the talk on heat, on leather 'thickness', and leather industry problems are so very lame.

Quote:
... I got tired of seeing their tough ivory white seats in every car in the showroom.
Have they started offering ivory / off white interiors? Then that in itself is a change. When I bought my GLE, the choice was only Beige or Black. Almost all models had only black or beige also. The earlier light grey colours offered on some models were discontinued by then.

Coming to think of that, I also feel that the Cognac/ saddle brown/ tan colour leather that BMW offer go a very long way in making their interior look so good.
Yeldo is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2017, 11:22   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Air suspension is good in an ideal world, but for some, regular suspension and smaller wheels with higher profile tyres are more reliable and better for use on roads that are not- so - good.
Count me in the anti-air suspension club. Too complicated, too expensive (when it's time for replacements) and potential reliability issues. A well-tuned traditional suspension can ride & handle just as well.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote