Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th April 2017, 13:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Suzuki, Toshiba & Denso tie-up to make automotive lithium-ion battery packs in India

Maruti Suzuki's parent company Suzuki Motor Corporation has entered into a joint venture with Toshiba Corporation and Denso Corporation for production of automotive lithium ion battery packs in India.

Not out of context, just recently Toyota's and Suzuki's global heads met Prime Minister of India and showed their interests to work together in areas of manufacturing and cleaner technologies.
This could be the beginning of affordable electric and autonomous mobility in India.

Suzuki's press release:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 1241
Size:  89.6 KB

Quote:
The partnership ( Toyota-Suzuki) will bring in Toyota’s global leadership in technology (electric and autonomous mobility) and manufacturing, and Suzuki’s strength in manufacture of small cars, especially in India
Quote:
The statement issued by Suzuki Motor Corporation in Japan stated, with higher attention being paid to environment in India and new CO2 standards for automobiles planned, the introduction of sustainable technology suitable for affordable cars is required
Quote:
The joint venture company will be established in 2017 and shall move to manufacturing phase at the earliest. The initial capital expenditure will be 20 billion Japanese yen or Rs 1,184 crore. The joint venture company will be capitalized at 2 billion Japanese yen, with the planned participation ratio of SUZUKI 50%, TOSHIBA 40% and DENSO 10% respectively.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th April 2017 at 14:15.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 15:03   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Suzuki, Toshiba & Denso tie-up to make automotive lithium-ion battery packs in India

MSIL seems to know the future in India or atleast they will ensure whatever they predict through this partnership becomes a reality in the shortest possible time.

MSIL will certainly rest its product strategy on this partnership where Suzuki is putting its money. I am certainly happy that for a mass market shift to EV, players like M&M et. al. have taken steps at the right time, yet their heart and soul are not pushing the EV product line, which can now happen.

A player like MSIL can certainly make the buyers look at EVs favorably ensuring that there is enough interest in their new product line. The recent change in the non-eligibility of MSIL SHVS and M&M Microhybrid under the FAME scheme would have also helped these companies to close their JV and move ahead. One of the principal reasons for success of Ciaz since July 2016 was FAME benefit.

A complete EV product range supported by MSIL's strong muscle power can actually bring in change in the market; I see Indian EV market in India taking a fast track through this all Japanese partnership.

Do we get competent MSIL backed EV range from 2020? I think its possible !

Last edited by i74js : 15th April 2017 at 15:04.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 15:21   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Suzuki, Toshiba & Denso tie-up to make automotive lithium-ion battery packs in India

I think the market has to turn to EVs and other alternative energy means thanks to CAFE norms and BS VI. The first casualty would be those noisy diesel engines, Lord be praised.
Carma2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2017, 15:23   #4
BHPian

Heartening news indeed, all the news about Tesla's, the inevitable staring but no news in India about the impending future.Kudos to Maruti for using their leadership position to lead the electric future. This will have cascading effect into serious plans instead of leap service. As Tesla says IC engine will look like steam engines after 20 years. This is a news worth following,as the future unfolds.
bullock-Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2017, 19:02   #5
BHPian

Not sure if this is good news for the shareholders of Maruti Suzuki Ltd.

Post the transfer of the Gujarat plant from MSIL to Suzuki, seems like all new capital expenditures will be done from the balance sheet of Suzuki even in India.

However I am very happy that capacities are being set up in India, keeping in mind that EV's are here to stay.
arakhanna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote