Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th August 2017, 11:25   #1771
BHPian

Default Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

There is news report about the hike in cess for SUVs and luxury vehicles.
In my view it will still take time probably a quarter, once it is passed by the parliament or through the ordinance route. The prices are going to jack up for all the SUVs right from Creta .

Best to book this beauty is now

Last edited by redcruiser : 8th August 2017 at 11:26.
redcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 11:48   #1772
Senior - BHPian

If there is an hike in price due to GST, you might not escape as JEEP COMPASS has a long waiting period and ticking.

Quote:
Over 5,000 bookings and more than 38,000 enquiries was revealed at the launch and now we hear that the waiting period for the diesel Compass is already reaching 2 to 3 months. The top-end diesel variants are the most in demand with them commanding the highest waiting period.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 12:06   #1773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Ironically, each of the latter three also does after sales service a lot better than what Fiat has done till now. While Fiat would need to be better at this given the starting handicap.

The unanswerable question at this time is whether the sorry past history of Fiat after sales will be different in the future.
Have you noticed that there is a correlation between service quality and reliability? The same brands that are rated high on service are the same brands that are rated high on reliability too.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 12:41   #1774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
If there is an hike in price due to GST, you might not escape as JEEP COMPASS has a long waiting period and ticking.

Link

I think folks waiting for an AT - but not very particular about 4x4 capabilities - should seriously consider a Tucson or something similar before the GST hike happens. Compass 4x2 Petrol AT with just 2 airbags and not-so-reliable DDCT would cost around 25+ lakhs on road when it gets launched later this year - if we factor in the impending GST price hike. Diesel 4x2 AT if launched with 6 airbags is going to be at least 1-1.5 lakhs more. Diesel AT's 9 speed zf gearbox isn't that great either looking at various reviews. Currently, a Tucson GLS Diesel AT with a lot more equipment and perceived higher reliability costs around 28 lakhs after discount. I am not sure if it still makes sense to wait for Compass AT when Tucson is available at almost similar price right away.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 8th August 2017 at 12:57.
ece2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 13:04   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Have you noticed that there is a correlation between service quality and reliability? The same brands that are rated high on service are the same brands that are rated high on reliability too.
Yes, I have. I would put it down to both growing from a common culture that promotes it in all operations of the company.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 13:05   #1776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
I'm planning to book a Compass 4×4 Diesel. I need some help from here. The price difference between the Limited and Limited(O) is a hefty 85000 to a lakh. Paying 85000 just for the black roof and HID lamps is just was too expensive I feel. If I go for the limited variant can I swap the halogen bulbs with the Xenon bulbs on the same projector setup as this seems to be a more VFM option. Please help me guys.
I am also in the same dilemma. To further my doubts, the manager of the dealership, whom sounded knowledgable advised me not to go for the highest variant for just these two features. He says the halogen projectors are quite good and roof can be wrapped in black for a small percentage of this cost difference.

Experts BHPians, please help
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 15:00   #1777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolFire View Post
I am also in the same dilemma. To further my doubts, the manager of the dealership, whom sounded knowledgable advised me not to go for the highest variant for just these two features. He says the halogen projectors are quite good and roof can be wrapped in black for a small percentage of this cost difference.

Experts BHPians, please help
This is the way you should do it,
consider all the features on offer right from the base variant to the top variant. Classify the features in "must have", "good to have", "makes no difference". Also classify them under "required factory fitted" or "Can be done after market". Once you have this data, filter your list by the "must have" and you will narrow down your search. Out of these must have features, if some can be obtained in the after market, you can go a variant down until you settle with the most acceptable variant.

Personally, I felt the Longitude (O) was the most value for money. The only thing it needs is the reverse parking camera which can be fitted after market. Apart from that the black roof can be done for 10-15K. The HIDs may be superior to projector headlamps, but for me it is a good to have feature only and in the worst case can be done after market too once the projector headlamps end their life. Leather seats can also be done after market as per your personal taste.

PS: If you have the money, just go with the best variant instead of taking the stress or having post purchase depression.
aviraj is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 16:40   #1778
BHPian

Now that FIAT has priced the Jeep Compass very sensibly, I get a feeling that FIAT has practically started implementing the lessons that it has "Learnt" during the past decade or so, in India (albeit in a hard way). I am like for not having waited for this Gem of a machine.

Nonetheless, a factory dispatch figure of 900+ during July 17 shows that it has all started strongly. What matters most as of now is that FIAT should provide good support and service as well. DUSTER, XUV, et-al might have sleepless nights in the days to come
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 16:53   #1779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Personally, I felt the Longitude (O) was the most value for money. .
Thanks @aviraj. I too feel Longitude (O) is quite VFM, but sadly I am looking for the automatic in which the only options are Limited and Limited (O)
CoolFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2017, 23:55   #1780
BHPian

Aftermarket HID is nowhere near factory fitted - have added Morimoto D2S projectors and Morimoto 4.2k bulbs and the results are plain average. QED : local HID stuff is nowhere near factory fit. And neither is sealing if you're in rain country
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 08:40   #1781
Distinguished - BHPian

For all those facing issues with the right variants, but still want to buy the Compass - would suggest to wait it out.

It's obvious that Jeep had to play it safe - given the long history of failure associated with FCA in India. The variant selection and choices do reflect that safe strategy IMO.

Now that they have got a good start (Judging by the footfalls in the showroom), the good variants should start trickling down one by one. Starting with automatics in September, 4*4 in October, Diesel automatic in January etc. Also, with the trailhawk being spied under camo - it might make an entry afterwards as well.

Personal wishlist - I hope they add a panoramic sunroof in the Limited(o) and Trailhawk variants even if that means an increase in prices. Tucson doesn't offer it and there is a huge gap between the Compass and the Tiguan Highline.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th August 2017 at 08:41.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 11:00   #1782
BHPian

Completed TD of the Jeep Compass for my friend. And I am impressed.

The test vehicle was a Longitude model. There was no Limited or Option models available at the dealer-ship. Price: If you are not up to serious off-roading, or for a automatic version and mainly for city rides, Diesel Limited 4X2 makes VFM, with only hitch is that rear side airbags are missing on this model. Price difference between Limited & Limited (O) is exorbitantly high, close to 85K. And you only get blackened roof + LED projector head lights over Xenon’s. FCA kept their mouth tight-shut on diesel automatic. “We don’t know”.

Booking made for Diesel Longitude 4X2 model with INR 50,000/-. Waiting period is 45 days.

Dealers: Celica, FCA authorize dealer for Kolkata. The show-room have premium ambience at par with luxury brands. All staff was very courteous throughout our stay of 3.5 hrs. Most of the staffs are new, some of them just joined 3-4 days back. As a result, they are still unaware of the car details like if it is FWD or RWD etc. But they are trying hard to keep visitors/buyers happy. Test drive (pre-appointment) was arranged with-in 5 minutes of our arrival.

Test drive experience:

1. TD was taken with-in the city, with-out any long/free stretch of road. So could not experience anything above 3rd gear. They have a pre-determined road for the TD; you can’t take the car anywhere else.

2. Driver: IMHO this is not a car for short drivers. Mainly due to long clutch travel. I had to adjust my seat too close to the steering to floor clutch pedal. Position of the dead pedal is close to the clutch as a result one need to be careful as both of them at same height from floor. With my seat-height adjusted, I banged my head with under roof liner while exiting upright. Excellent brake, nice & progressive, good response in panic braking. The gear lever have nice feel to hold. But I doubt the aluminum coating will last very long. All controls are falling nicely in hand, but for AC controls, you need to shift your eyes momentarily from the road. Steering has a nice feel to hold. At low speed steering feed-back is poor but predictable. Good view of the road around, D-pillar is creating a large blind spot. ORVMs have decent view. Inside rear view mirror is only manually adjustable for day-night function. Door switches are comparable to cars a segment above.

3. My first set of dislikes: Compulsory Insurance from FCA/Mopar. The B2B quotation (1 L+) is at par with my BMW 3 GT which is quite unacceptable for a car which is less than half the price. No idea how they have calculated this quote. INR 25,000/- compulsory accessories from FCA. They all are useful stuff but at higher price. Logistics of INR 10,000/- even after several issues with Govt. earlier, dealers are daring to go ahead with this & escaping. And why our Govt is still sitting idle?

4. My 2nd dis-like of the TD was the first gear. You hear a screaming turbo spool from inside the cabin & in city traffic it is quite irritating. What annoying is, car is screaming but going nowhere. Then you tend to shift 2nd gear quickly and there lies the trick. If you are not a good left leg player, you will have several stalling on the road. I had once, and SA told me to keep on 1st gear till 20 km/hr. However I continued my test. And finally I managed to drive on 2nd gear till 8 km/hr with very minor judder.

5. Power delivery: not like 170 BHP. May be due to turbo kicks in quite late (or may be front wheel set up). Good acceleration for the size of the car but not what I get from my 184 BHP BMW 3GT. But over all quite impressive at this price point.

6. Gear shift: too good and in fact you have to get used to this short & smooth pattern. Several times I rammed into 2nd gear from 1st due to short travel. Reverse gear is engaged by lifting one circular plate under the gear knob, with a short travel.

7. Ride quality: excellent, rear suspension set-up does the magic. Experienced minimum body roll, with slight rocking movements over potholes.

8. Cabin & Space: All around soft touch plastics gives a premium feel. Only drawback is the door latches, they look good but of inferior quality. I am 6’2”, with my seat adjustment at driver seat; I still had 9” knee room left when seated at the rear and that is quite impressive. Under thigh support is good, but rear bench 3rd / middle pax will complain. During the drive never experience my hand/elbow touching anywhere. Center arm rest can move fwd-back, but sliding function is way too soft. Even slightest movement of my left elbow causing it to move. Limited model’s leather quality is very impressive. The touch & feel is even better than entry level Germans. Longitude is wearing high quality beige fabric with up market feel. Sport models are having good quality black fabric; but it does not look like for a 15 Lakh car. Bottle holders / door pockets are at shorter side.

9. Boot space: nicely laid out, is good for a small family trips.

10. Engine bay: nicely laid out, very neat & clean. Some wiring insulation covers are not up to the mark.

11. Let some pictures do the talking now, they are all from Limited, 4X2.

Will revert with some photographs....

Cheers
Sail
Sail is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 11:18   #1783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For all those facing issues with the right variants, but still want to buy the Compass - would suggest to wait it out.
With the impending hike in cess, it would be suicidal to wait even for a month.

And knowing FIAT and the pace at which they respond to the market, I don't see a variant rationalization happening anytime soon.

It is better to make some sacrifices and buy one of the variants closer to your choice.
civic-sense is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 11:31   #1784
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

It's obvious that Jeep had to play it safe - given the long history of failure associated with FCA in India. The variant selection and choices do reflect that safe strategy IMO.

Personal wishlist - I hope they add a panoramic sunroof in the Limited(o) and Trailhawk variants even if that means an increase in prices. Tucson doesn't offer it and there is a huge gap between the Compass and the Tiguan Highline.
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
With the impending hike in cess, it would be suicidal to wait even for a month.

And knowing FIAT and the pace at which they respond to the market, I don't see a variant rationalization happening anytime soon.

It is better to make some sacrifices and buy one of the variants closer to your choice.
Mr. Civic Sense summed it up beautifully!

Whilst it's tempting to wait it out for two reasons:

1) New product, ergo, good idea to see how it performs over a period of 6 months or maybe a year.
2) New variants in the pipeline (diesel AT, Trailhawk, etc.)

..It may not be the wisest thing to wait it out either. Prices are expected to climb drastically once the addition cess rolls out, and with Fiat's inconsistencies over the years, it's hard to say if new variants (other than the diesel AT perhaps) are actually in the pipeline.

Also, could it be that the camo'ed Compass Trailhawk edition that was spotted earlier is just undergoing routine testing and being prepped for export markets? I'm not sure.

EDIT: CD, your wish list is perfect! The Compass deserves the pano sunroof, and larger wheels too, if I may say so!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th August 2017 at 11:32.
suhaas307 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2017, 16:15   #1785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
Price list from Sky Moto Pune attached.

Attachment 1664543
Just some additional info on the extra charges,

Taking an example of Diesel Limited 4x2 - Ex showroom price Rs. 17,93,000
RTO Road tax at 14% comes to Rs. 2,51,020
Registration charges would be around Rs. 600
Dealer taking RTO Charges of Rs. 2,66,040 i.e. Approx additional Rs. 15,000
Apart from that Additional handling charges of Rs. 10,000

Those visiting this or any other dealer, can take note and question them on this. Rs. 25,000 additional charges seem to be on the higher side. Please correct if I am assuming something wrong here.

The RTO Tax slabs for Maharashtra are attached,

Basic Taxation - MOTOR VEHICLE DEPARTMENT, MAHARASHTRA.pdf

Last edited by aviraj : 9th August 2017 at 16:16.
aviraj is offline   Reply With Quote