Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2017, 17:14   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Just called up Jeep showroom and they were accepting bookings for Compass at ₹1 lakh
Funny, because the woman who called from Jeep India informed me that the booking amount was Rs 50,000.😏
Old 6th June 2017, 17:21   #242
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Funny, because the woman who called from Jeep India informed me that the booking amount was Rs 50,000.😏
This stinks of being unofficial Bookings just like when the EcoSport was launched! I think that is the disadvantage of revealing your car in multiple stages. The greedy dealers can easily sense the interest of the customers and just start taking totally unofficial bookings, this puts us the ones are sane enough not to buy without a TD, at a big disadvantage.

Just giving you an example, I had to wait a week after Ecosport's launch for a TD, even though they were taking bookings 10 days before that. Result? I had to wait 3 months for my car.

Hope FCA can crackdown on this somehow, but I don't expect them to
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 17:29   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Hope FCA can crackdown on this somehow, but I don't expect them to
Pre-booking is the norm these days, and may even be official. If a product is launched without the press statement - "Already so many units of the car has been pre- booked and has this much waiting period", it loses a point in the mind of the Indian public already.
Old 6th June 2017, 17:38   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Pre-booking is the norm these days, and may even be official. If a product is launched without the press statement - "Already so many units of the car has been pre- booked and has this much waiting period", it loses a point in the mind of the Indian public already.
Yes the pre booking is the norm, but the manufacturers announce it when its official. Just like Maruti announced it with the Ignis and the Dzire along with the Booking amount. A manufacturer makes the booking amount public and constant across the cities unlike this unofficial business where the amount changes every Km.

and the way Jeep has been doing press events, I'm sure they would announce the start of bookings themselves when they do it.
Old 6th June 2017, 21:24   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Second in the "Know Your Compass" short video series of the India-spec 2017 Jeep Compass, with Milind Soman.

RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th June 2017, 22:45   #246
BHPian

Guys I think expecting Compass to be priced near Creta is being too optimistic. It will be near Tuson that they will target and will undercut it. But it definitely will be significantly above Creta.
vibbs is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 10:29   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Second in the "Know Your Compass" short video series of the India-spec 2017 Jeep Compass, with Milind Soman.
After seeing these videos I have a feeling that it is going to be priced higher than we have been speculating. Their entire focus is on the quality of the product, which has always been charged at a premium by FCA in past in India.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th June 2017 at 14:03. Reason: Please avoid Quoting Youtube links. Thanks.
zulfi hansi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 11:16   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
After seeing these videos I have a feeling that it is going to be priced higher than we have been speculating. Their entire focus is on the quality of the product, which has always been charged at a premium by FCA in past in India.
More than the quality or specifications of the vehicle, people have been speculating that the prices will go against Creta just based on the assumption that Jeep will need such (Creta like) volumes in India. Whereas Tucson is a sales dud.

Compass is a global vehicle and India will be one of the export hubs for it. That's where the numbers will come, but I don't expect Jeep to price it at a loss against Creta to create volumes. Creta is neither an international product from Hyundai (developed for India, China and Latin American markets) nor offers similar engine specs nor 4WD ability.

The vehicle surely goes against Tucson and even Tiguan in most of the markets they compete against, but Jeep might try to showcase value by significantly undercutting it with respect to pricing.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th June 2017 at 11:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:11   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
More than the quality or specifications of the vehicle, people have been speculating that the prices will go against Creta just based on the assumption that Jeep will need such (Creta like) volumes in India. Whereas Tucson is a sales dud.

Compass is a global vehicle and India will be one of the export hubs for it. That's where the numbers will come, but I don't expect Jeep to price it at a loss against Creta to create volumes. Creta is neither an international product from Hyundai (developed for India, China and Latin American markets) nor offers similar engine specs nor 4WD ability.

The vehicle surely goes against Tucson and even Tiguan in most of the markets they compete against, but Jeep might try to showcase value by significantly undercutting it with respect to pricing.
I completely agree. Creta is not even a proper car to be compared. Creta is a paper tiger IMO. It looks capable but is not. What matters to our market is that it fulfills what 90% of the buyers want from it, and unfortunately it will be compared based on size and features inside the cabin, and that is where Compass will be hit. Sure people will appreciate good build quality but are also afraid of the Fiat name, so it nullifies in some sense when we talk about a layman doing his analysis. Eventually people will not pay more than 15% premium for build quality, as nothing else in it will really matter, 4x4 customers are less than 5%. So chances are that it may not really turn out to be a mass market car like Creta which is basically a wimp of an SUV as compare to the Compass which is a true blooded SUV every bit. Like I said Hyundai has brilliantly packaged Creta with what 90% of the Indian buyer wants, so Jeep may have given that precious 10% to people like us, but will also end up getting just that 10% buyers like us.

Considering Creta is overpriced by at least 20%, Jeep could as well pull this off, and if it does, we at TeamBHP will be their greatest critique and salesmen.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:59   #250
Senior - BHPian

Just got a telecall from Jeep. The lady who spoke to me confirmed the following -
The vehicle will be launched in July.
The booking amount is 50000 which is totally refundable.
The price is not announced but will be below 20 lacs.

No info on details like variants etc.
wilful is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 15:16   #251
BHPian

The indication from Jeep KHT Bangalore showroom is that the price would be 17-25 lakhs ex showroom, indicating an on Road price of 20L minimum. So this cuts Tucson by about 3 lakhs since base petrol variant of Tucson retails for about 23L on road Bangalore. Not a bad price point considering we have top end variants of Creta and even the new Honda city retail at close to 17L on road.
motorworks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 15:59   #252
Senior - BHPian

Yup, same information again from Jeep India.
It will be below 20L, but no clarity of pricing announcement. Booking amount mentioned is 50K refundable.
The cars will arrive at the dealers by 20th June.
Old 7th June 2017, 16:07   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Yup, same information again from Jeep India.
It will be below 20L, but no clarity of pricing announcement. Booking amount mentioned is 50K refundable.
The cars will arrive at the dealers by 20th June.
Received call from Jeep India today. Booking amount mentioned was 50K, refundable.
Starting price will be below 20L as per the executive.
Old 7th June 2017, 16:17   #254
Senior - BHPian

I received a call as well, from Jeep India. You can do the booking online via Jeep website starting from June 15th. Booking amount is 50K.
The display vehicle will be available from 20th June.
Official booking at the dealership starts on 30th June.
Starting price will be below 20L.

Last edited by arun_josie : 7th June 2017 at 16:18.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 16:19   #255
BHPian

Even I received the call sometime back. They didnt mention the price but said the dealership will get in touch around 20th when the vehicle is available for display.
Closed Thread