Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd June 2017, 14:53   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Objective sort of review from a magazine in Dubai, who are not taken up by the 'Jeep Hype' that Indian journalists seem to be high on:

In top-spec Limited trim on 19in wheels, the ride is harsh, hollow over bumps, and too many vibrations creep up through the steering wheel. The back end feels like it rides on a solid axle.
With your technical knowledge, I'm pretty sure you would have already figured out that it's more physics than journalist hype.

The 19 inchers (optional there, and not available here) would be having 40 or 45 side wall ratio at max, and this would be having much harsher ride than the 225/60 R17 option available in our market.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd June 2017 at 14:55.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 15:33   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
I second that Man, that's exactly my thoughts. People are ready to pay for Over Priced Creta/Fortuner/Innova Crysta/Honda City and some of them consists of endless niggles or quality issues. But still what I see as an expectation is Compass should be priced from 15 lakh onwards if JEEP wants to rule the road. They want everything inside to be of Top Notch Quality and not even a single feature should be compromised(Say Cruise Control), otherwise they will bash the product like that feature is the only deal breaker in their decision. People are ready to buy Suzuki Dzire which is on Road more than 10 lakhs (Top Variant) but they are not ready to pay when it comes to good quality and engineered products.
I for one is extremely happy that they are coming with this product in India. Currently I'm not in a position to own one anytime soon but I aspire to get one some day.
Wunderbar! great sentiments, this is the need of the hour. More competition in the automobile space is always welcome and the Jeep Compass is definitely a well engineered product. Plus we have to keep in mind that the same Compass would also be sold internationally. I think this is going to be a superb product if priced in the 16-20 Lakh range, anything above that might just be overkill in my opinion. One of the posts mentioned about it having space for just 500 ml bottles, i hope that's not true, otherwise i see it going down the Tucson way.

Last edited by Shwet : 23rd June 2017 at 16:03.
Shwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 15:41   #723
Senior - BHPian

Suppose the Jeep Compass Prices will be announced post the GST Implementation which means they are in a position to decide an accurate price better than Tiguan or Tuscon which it seems to be setup against.

Probably one last golden opportunity for FIAT to redeeem themselves in the eyes of Indian Customers than just being manufacturers of National Engines. Hopefully better sense prevails and they price themselves to be competitive to be in the fray. Once confidence is there both from customer & company they can increase a La Toyota.

Post July 1st we will see the verdict.
ku69rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:13   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyakmodi View Post
Interesting take on that.

We aren't expecting them to stoop too low, loose their dignity or not make profits.

All we expect is that they shouldn't get over ambitious in pricing their vehicles. They have a long way to go before they start commanding a premium for their products.

The punto didn't do well initially because people felt that the interior quality wasn't at par with the i20. When they overhauled it and came out with the evo - they far excelled in the interior quality but the mindset was never changed. People found enough reasons not buy their products and chose inferior products while paying a premium.

Whether we like it or not - we live in a world of perception. Most of the buyers don't read our forums, and nor do they do extensive research like us. They simply observe which is the most seen car on the road in the segment they want to buy - and end up finalising it. Believe it or not - I've heard many a times - "itne logo ne li hai - must be a great product".
For eg. Swift, dzire, innova, creta, baleno, etc.

Needless to say these vehicles are the hot cakes even in the used car market.
I concur with most of the points here, however i think a lot of us are also getting swayed by the so called great quality and brand dignity of Jeep. Let's not forget that Jeep is normally always at the bottom of the heap in reliability ratings elsewhere in the world. The Jeep Compass and even the Grand Cherokee have had a reputation of being notoriously unreliable even in the United states (Their best market).

Although the India edition will be sold with Fiat engines, so we might not have so many issues as the issues reported have been majorly of Pentastar and TigerShark gasoline versions of the Jeep. However an automobile has many complexities like synchronizing the Drive-train with the engine and what not!

So i guess we all should hold our horses before awarding the 'High Quality' tag to Jeep, let's wait and watch for some time.
Shwet is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:14   #725
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
No doubt, you see yourself as Guy1 and hence you make him look like he is the only one capable of intelligent arguments.
Well, I am responsible for what I say and not what others understand so I will refrain from commenting further there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
It is not that that Guy2s of the world wish compass to succeed only at creta price point. It is just that at 28 lakhs for top spec, Guy2s fear that compass will not succeed, no matter the "quality" or "mechanicals".
That fear is not just rational, its impractical.

Imagine the scenario a couple of segments down. Ford Aspire, Tata Zest, VW Ameo are having abysmal sales when compared to Dzire. Should they price it at a lower price point to say a Kwid/Alto/Celerio so that it becomes a success.

You will find the similarities of KWID/Celerio and ZEST/Aspire are much higher than Creta and Compass.
RaghuVis is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:29   #726
BHPian

Default Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Discussion summed up

!

You cheeky cheeky fellow. I know your dig was directed at me and was quiet rib tickling too but in all fairness I didn't get your point to be honest.

You completely have missed the basic reason why I feel Jeep should be priced not more than 10-15% premium over creta.
Even with 65% localisation (which I was quiet sure was more in the 85% range) Jeep is saving huge costs just in terms of import duties. Not even bringing up the cost of manufacturing of India VS rest of the world.

I believe I'm not the only one who feels that creta is over priced by atleast a couple of lacs - and I see no reason why should Jeep follow the same path and not place their products with the right price tag.

Being an automobile component manufacturer and with an experience of more than 15 years in the same field I stated my reasons on why it should be priced in that range.

Would love to hear from you (especially with your sense of humour &#128522 why do you think it should be priced higher?

Maybe I'm not seeing something which you are - and would really like to understand your thought procedure too.

Edit : nowhere I'm suggesting that Jeep should make losses just to sell their product. All I'm expecting is a product which is priced right.

Last edited by samyakmodi : 23rd June 2017 at 16:32.
samyakmodi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 16:47   #727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
It IS one ^

Congratulations on Tiguan! it is a good car. Only wish they had priced it little lesser. Which model you booked? See if you can get the 17" wheels instead of 18" if you have opted for the top end. That suspension and 18" wheels are a bad idea for indian roads... don't ask me how i know lol
Thanks and Yes, I've booked the Highline spec - it has the 18" wheels with the so called self sealing tires....why are the 18" wheels bad for our roads? - do tell...
driven646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:01   #728
BHPian

Interesting point of views here. The Tuscon base diesel variant, as I see, is priced at INR 22,65,998 ex-showroom in Pune and the base petrol variant at INR 19,88,065 ex-showroom. How much should Jeep reduce for the lack of features vis-a-vis the Tuscon?

Looking at the segment it is in and reported features, 15L for the base petrol and 16L for the base diesel variant will help Jeep make good inroads in this segment.

Last edited by nikhil0405 : 23rd June 2017 at 17:20.
nikhil0405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:29   #729
BHPian

The only way FIAT can build a brand is by getting their cars out on the road. The products are their biggest advertisement, not print, TV or facebook.

If they think by pricing the car along with the Tucson and weaning away half (if they are lucky) of its buyers (which in May 2017 stands at 120 cars) they would be able to build a brand, then they are mistaken.

There are no buyers in that segment. If they just want to only have beautiful cars in their portfolio which no one can buy, then so be it. Nobody will miss FIAT.

ps: Yes, I want FIAT to succeed and more than that, I want to buy one too. If they sell a bare bones version with two airbags at 15L ex, I will be able to buy one.
civic-sense is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:35   #730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
That fear is not just rational, its impractical.

Imagine the scenario a couple of segments down. Ford Aspire, Tata Zest, VW Ameo are having abysmal sales when compared to Dzire. Should they price it at a lower price point to say a Kwid/Alto/Celerio so that it becomes a success.

You will find the similarities of KWID/Celerio and ZEST/Aspire are much higher than Creta and Compass.
So, Ford Aspire, Tata Zest and VW Ameo would have succeeded, if they were priced higher? If not, then shouldn't they be priced less ( at least until they are not making a loss for the company) ?
ashlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:36   #731
BHPian

Interesting posts for the past few pages on the pricing of the Jeep Compass and comparisons being drawn with Creta prices. However, I don't find any post comparing Compass with the Innova Crysta prices .

Toyota sells the Innova by the thousands every month and we know it is priced at quite a premium as well.
In most(not all) Indian homes, when there is a talk of spending anything more than 18 Lakhs on a car, the 'Innova' seems to be the default choice.
Take for instance, my brother's case: He prefers Jeep Compass even if it priced at 21 or 22 lakh rupees.
However, his dad has flatly refused his choice and is just waiting for GST so that Innova may see a minor price correction before booking it.(Booking the Innova has been decided and my brother has no choice as his dad has clearly mentioned that Jeep is an unknown brand on which he wont spend 20+ lakhs.)

Though we may understand that Jeep is totally different compared to the Innova, the price is what most(not all) of the buyers will look at while making a decision.
There is always a niche set of enthusiasts who will appreciate the Jeep, but those numbers wont be enough for Jeep to survive in the long run, they need to attract the mass market for that.

I feel that the Compass will have to fight it out with Creta at one end and the Innova at the other for volumes.

Jeep seems to have their task cut out here and I wish them all the best.
jvm_1986 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:41   #732

For any product, there will be 2 prime sales strategies (as far as I know):

1) Low price , High Volume
2) High Price , Low Volume.

There should be some product for mass reach, so that that reach can be used to sell the premium products. As FIAT has to establish itself through JC, my opinion is, they have to launch a low price - means, Price range starting from Creta's mid-high ... can have a premium version too, which can touch 20+ L, Ex-Showroom.
moorthyms is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 17:50   #733
BHPian

I think that Jeep might have managed to get away with a slight premium over Creta if it has exclusive showrooms/service. Now that Jeep is selling alongside Fiat that has a pretty pathetic track record in India, Compass needs to be priced at par with Creta (variant to variant) if FCA intends to sell 1000-2000 units a month. I think Jeep should go a step further and sell the Compass at zero profit for the first few months to garner some interest. Infact Tucson failed in India because of the presence of Creta IMHO and Compass would meet the same fate if it is positioned at a premium to Creta.
ece2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:03   #734
BHPian

Friends, here is a news that predicts the Compass might even start at a lower price than Rs 15 lakh (due to GST). If it happens, Compass may attract good initial sales.

Link to the News: http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...-lower/732493/
vsun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:10   #735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The other way of reading that is that Creta should be having most if not all of these things. That is the entire point. Creta is overpriced and under-equipped. And it still does massive volumes.
Jeep can never match the brand equity of the Creta that has now been cemented by years of success. It has to play the disruptive game. And it easily can. All it has to do is price the vehicle fairly for what it is worth and what it costs to make. You have to build from a base. You cant just dive into a pool and start challenging Michael Phelps right from Day 1.
Buyers as it is are just not willing to look beyond the handful of established products. "Shock" pricing is necessary, otherwise it will start slow and die a painful death. Other point is that a majority of cars sold in the premium segment are the upper/top models. The strategy of having a basic stripped down variant as a low entry point will not work. Just ask the Hexa. Even the Innova Crysta sells mainly in the high end V or Z models. Jeep has to offer good equipment and good prices for the mid and top spec variants.
Agreed! - Shock pricing is the crying need for any new entrant in this segment. The prime example being the XUV500 which which ran away with the trophy mainly because (apart from its solid worth/ton specs!) it had shock pricing for its segment!
shashanka is offline   Reply With Quote