Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2017, 18:40   #91
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Doesn't have the road presence of either the Q5 or the Merc since those two caught my attention before the vehicles in camouflage

Ha ha , 4 Jeeps vs 2 Germans.Hard to take that kind of a call when you have the vehicles camouflaged. The Germans would have been in all their shining glory of pure metallic paint and those awesome DRLs. Wait for Cinderella when she is let loose in all her glory in July.
Arjun Reddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2017, 20:12   #92
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Not sure about this latest variant. But if size wise it is similar to the previous iteration then actually it is a rather small vehicle. The older version does look puny standing next to Grand Cherokee. Road presence it has not.
Old 21st May 2017, 22:40   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Ha ha , 4 Jeeps vs 2 Germans.Hard to take that kind of a call when you have the vehicles camouflaged. The Germans would have been in all their shining glory of pure metallic paint and those awesome DRLs. Wait for Cinderella when she is let loose in all her glory in July.
From a distance I first thought it was a Mahindra TUV 300 facelift doing test rounds. The size and the front grille resembled it. Only when it came closer and I saw some bits like a forward camera and so I realised this was something more premium. One of the four cars had basic halogen reflector headlamps while the others had projectors. The front had more of such features than camouflage so I am not sure if it would make a difference without camouflage.
audioholic is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:25   #94

Spotted quite a few Compasses stationed near Raddisson at Kharadi,Pune.
One of the test driver was kind enough to let me sit in the car a explore it a bit.
The vehicle that I sat in, looked like a top end 4X4 with terrain settings as auto, sand, mud and snow(Guess the variants sold abroad are with settings for rocky terrain as well. Don't think we would get one here)
Coming to the interiors and comfort.( a quick take)
- The dashboard looked clean and had a Touchscreen unit.
- The quality of the plastics looked premium.
- The front seats were nice and firm with good support.
-Seat position was high and one could get a good view ahead.
-There was sufficient leg room at the back; at least for a 5'8er like me .
- The width of the back row is a compromise. Seating 3 adults would a bit of a struggle.
- The dimensions are very much like Creta.

Overall it looked like a well built car with good premium quality all around.
Hope they price it right and have a good sales winner for the company and an awesome car for the enthusiasts

I had requested if I could take pics and was told to take them quickly before his superior came in. Please excuse the quality and the quantity. Didn't have much time.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-image00002.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-image00003.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-image00004.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-image00005.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-image00001.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 23rd May 2017 at 08:52. Reason: Watermarking :). Thanks for sharing!
Dugzy is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:59   #95
BHPian

Thanks for the best interior pictures so far. Some details I can infer from the picture:

1. This is not a trailhawk version, it must be a "Limited" version, given most premium features and 4X4 present, however, not the ROCK mode
2. This seems to confirm the rumor from Autocar and other sources that 4WD Auto variant will not be initially available, since the gearshift on this version seems to be a manual one. The knob itself seems very poor in quality of construction and looks
3. The three switches at the bottom seem to indicate the presence of electronic parking brake, traction control system which can be switched off and centre differential lock (not sure about this last one) - Would be great if it offers a differential lock.
4. Single Zone automatic climate control present
5. Touchscreen seems rather small, more like 6 inches?
6. Interior plastics quality looks fit for for a 10-15 lac car, definitely not very premium quality your would expect in a 20 lac plus car, from the photos

Attached the most important picture after rotation and enlargement.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-presentation1.jpg  

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 22nd May 2017 at 11:00.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 11:25   #96
BHPian

Default Meeting the Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Thanks for the best interior pictures so far.
  • Trailhawk not slated for India as of now.
  • Looks like dual AC is present. I can see two temperature control units. Where is the auto button for the aircon? Looks like temperature will be displayed on the touchscreen unit.
  • The area around the touch screen looks outright ugly with a small screen.
  • Interior fit and finish looks no where close to the Hyundais. Creta looks neat and clean on the inside. Just too much happening on the compass center console.
  • This looks like the automatic being tested though it won't be launched till around the 3rd quarter.
  • Overall the interiors look disappointing.
  • No keyless entry and start/Stop.
  • The steering controls do not seem to have the volume and mute buttons.
  • The right controls on the steering all seem to be for the cruise control. Left I haven't been able to decipher.
  • Jeep will have a hard time convincing buyers to pay a premium over the Creta for the non 4*4 models.The compass is now starting to look budget. Except for the 4*4 there seems to be no other USP. The average Indian consumer will never need a 4*4.
  • Have to wait for our official review once it is launched and then decide.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2017 at 13:29. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:39   #97

My observations :

1) Its an Automatic Variant (I can see dead pedal & broader brake pedal; and also electronic parking button).

2) Automatic Climate Control - (but if looked closely, i can see four different button for temperature control (2 for raising temp. & 2 for lowering it - marked in Red & Blue color around fan control/ mode knob). but again, no sync button & only single fan control knob?

3) Cruise Control can be seen on steering control, along with phone & MID control on left.

4) No leather seats.

5) 5/6" inches touch screen with ugly & thick silver bezel around it.

6) Mute button on center console, bad placement?

7) No Key-less start & stop.

8) Traction control button is visible as well. Also noticed a button below Hazard indicator button, which shows as OFF and have symbol of Car going out of lane/ highway.

For all good reason, I wish its not a top end variant but mid or lower end variant. Looking at above feature my judgement says under 20 Lakh as a budget vehicle not the premium one. Lets hope for the best.
shahbaz63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 12:43   #98

Sorry, my bad, don't think the one I sat in QA the top-end one.
As I mentioned, there were quite a few Compasses parked there and I have taken random pics.
Sharing one more that has start-stop button and a view of the dashboard from outside.
Also one which has a different wheel design. This looks bigger than the 5 spoke one.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_3553.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_3547.jpg  

Dugzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:06   #99
BHPian

Talk about a fast developing story! Thanks for all these photos and good job in convincing the guy to let you take them I was very disappointed after seeing the first set of photos. As others have said, it does look like a budget car and nowhere near a 20L one. My mind was also set on the Auto one and I had dropped it from my list when I heard it only being available in a manual version.

Hopefully Fiat will surprise us yet. I spoke to the Fiat guy yesterday and he initially informed me that they have started pre-booking. I got all excited and asked him to confirm before I land up at the showroom with my checkbook. Unfortunately, he called back saying that they have not started booking as of yet. The sales training has been moved to first week of June. It was earlier planned on 15th May. Looks like they will inform the prices and other details post 1st week June; a-la the Octavia.

Interesting to see how they stack up.

Last edited by ampere : 22nd May 2017 at 13:31. Reason: Formatted post
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:42   #100
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

If everyone is saying that Auto would not be available initially then why are they testing Auto variants? The pic below clearly shows its an Auto variant. Hope they do launch Manual and Auto at the time of launch.
Old 22nd May 2017, 13:52   #101
BHPian

Jeep was always launching an auto, but in the petrol version. The diesel auto will follow later.
Old 22nd May 2017, 14:09   #102
BHPian

Certainly looks like the latest spotting is a lower variant of the 4WD Pertrol Automatic version. The cheap silver casings around the Infotainment system screen does not appear in the below picture posted last week by another bhp-ian:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...85788524_o.jpg

The previous picture seems to be a higher variant of the 4WD Diesel version.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:10   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevilgautam View Post
Jeep was always launching an auto, but in the petrol version. The diesel auto will follow later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Certainly looks like the latest spotting is a lower variant of the 4WD Pertrol Automatic version.

The Petrol auto does not get 4*4, only the diesel gets it. I am guessing this is a preproduction diesel albeit not in the actual trim level. They may have just fitted a small touch screen unit , no leather seats, missing keyless go and start/ stop as it's a test vehicle. Also the cosmetic chrome inserts are also missing on the dash. So this could be their diesel model and may be testing the automatic which is due to launch around October.

So maybe we shouldn't jump to conclusions on this specific car. Wonder why Jeep hid the interiors when they showed the Compass a month ago ?
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:44   #104
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The Petrol auto does not get 4*4
Its does, with 7 speed Automatic and 1.4L petrol engine. In fact you can see the 4WD lock button above drive mode indicators the from the spy pics. Its a 4x4 petrol model, nearby the gear lever you can see manual mode too (+/ -)

The second spy shots from Dugzy is indeed 4x4 MT ( see the ball type gear knob), probably longitude variant ( coz of the small touch screen )

see the previous spy shot pic below
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...85788524_o.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...4587380233.jpg
Old 22nd May 2017, 19:02   #105
BHPian

Quote:
  • Looks like dual AC is present. I can see two temperature control units. Where is the auto button for the aircon? Looks like temperature will be displayed on the touchscreen unit.
There is only one Temperature control unit. The other two are for different purposes.

Temperature 'Auto' is available on the far right.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-untitled.jpg

Quote:
  • No keyless entry and start/Stop.
It is available beneath right hand side of the steering wheel.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-0332017jeepcompassdashboardtopangle.jpg

Quote:
  • The steering controls do not seem to have the volume and mute buttons.
Well, they do have steering mounted volume control buttons.

Name:  steering.jpg
Views: 6131
Size:  46.5 KB

The aforementioned specs are available in LHD Jeep Compass sold in the US and other countries. However, I am not sure if the India made RHD Compass will also have them.

Source:
https://www.jeep.ca/en/suvcompass/overview
cbatrody is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread