Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th April 2017, 17:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Volkswagen Polo GT Sport launched at a premium of Rs. 20,000

Volkswagen India has launched a limited edition Sport edition of the Polo GT. It will be available with both petrol and diesel variants, i.e. GT TSI and GT TDI. The GT Sport is basically a dealer fitment that adds a few exterior and interior design tweaks to the GT twins. It is priced at a premium of Rs. 20,000, as compared to the regular models.

Changes on the outside of the GT Sport include a new glossy black spoiler, a blacked out roof, 16-inch Portago alloys and decals on the lower door panels. Presence of new leatherette finished seat covers with embossed GT Sport branding is the only change made to the interiors. The GT Sport edition can be opted in only two colour options - Flash Red and Candy White.

No mechanical changes have been made to the GT Sport twins. As a result, the diesel model will continue to be powered by a 1.5-litre, four-cylinder unit that churns out 108 BHP and 250 Nm of torque while being mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The petrol GT Sport TSI will be equipped with a 1.2-litre, four-cylinder turbocharged power plant rated at 103 BHP and 175 Nm of torque, with a 7-speed DSG as the only transmission option on offer.

Volkswagen Polo GT Sport launched at a premium of Rs. 20,000-polo-gt-sport.jpg

Volkswagen Polo GT Sport launched at a premium of Rs. 20,000-polo-sport.jpg

Volkswagen Polo GT Sport launched at a premium of Rs. 20,000-polo-sport-roof.jpg

Volkswagen Polo GT Sport launched at a premium of Rs. 20,000-polo-gt-interior-sport.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by Aditya : 26th April 2017 at 09:51. Reason: Space added
dZired is online now   (26) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 09:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen Polo GT Sport launched at a premium of Rs. 20,000

For 20K, I would get better looking alloys and my choice of tyres from elsewhere (after an exchange, straight off the showroom) Too many Limited editions actually degrade the value a true limited edition... Especially if it is a limited edition that is a retro-fit at the dealer end !
aravind.anand is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 13:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
For 20K, I would get better looking alloys and my choice of tyres from elsewhere (after an exchange, straight off the showroom)
True, but that's us enthusiasts. To a regular customer, this is good value for 20k. He would any day prefer dealing with an authorised outlet over an after-market provider.

Black Spoiler - 5k
Blacked out roof - 3k
Nice looking alloys - 8k (if swapped)
Seat covers - 4 - 5k

There's the added benefit of getting this sport variant as part of the car's loan, thus the EMI difference will be negligible at best (400 bucks a month on a 3 year loan).
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 14:26   #4
BHPian

Frankly, the updates look worthy of only a dealer job rather than OEM standard. Given that it is anyway a GT+ variant, VW could have as well plonked LED headlamps or something which makes previous owners drool and checkout Team-BHP DIY threads
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 14:45   #5
BHPian

Do the 16 inch wheels still sport the same width as the regular GT models? Or has that been increased as well?

I find it very strange that VW should find these upgrades necessary to react to the Baleno RS which seems to be the target as the Baleno too comes with 16 inch wheels. As is the GT TSI was closer to the RS in price and these just serve to push the price up further.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 15:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I find it very strange that VW should find these upgrades necessary to react to the Baleno RS which seems to be the target as the Baleno too comes with 16 inch wheels.
16" alloys aside, I think the new Figo S (Diesel variant) has also contributed to the probable heat VW is feeling right now.
man_of_steel is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 15:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
16" alloys aside, I think the new Figo S (Diesel variant) has also contributed to the probable heat VW is feeling right now.
I agree with that, i was not not aware about any plans from VW about the GT sports version. Figo S was launched and then this happened. Nevertheless, its a good added option for those considering the GT twins
camitesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 21:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
I agree with that, i was not not aware about any plans from VW about the GT sports version. Figo S was launched and then this happened. Nevertheless, its a good added option for those considering the GT twins
That is even stranger as the Ford is cheaper than either of the GT twins which already have sporting credentials to their credit having opened the niche. Also feature wise both of them are as equipped as the Ford. If anything VW should have made changes to price them closer unless they see some logic in keeping the pricing of the cars premium compared to the rest of the pack.

VW has said that the Sports variants would be limited editions unless the demand justifies keeping the variant alive.

Drive on,
Shibu.
shibujp is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 21:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Anyone who was looking to buy a polo at this point of time, For those people its absolutely worth it, But should anyone buy a polo right now just for this so called special edition? Not at all ! VW is really making it common by launching such special editions of their product's, I am eager to see when would they make an effort & provide a proper special edition with some mechanical changes.
Tanveer_2558 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 21:38   #10
BHPian

I'd first ask VW to remove that tacky GT TSI/GT decal on the C pillar, looks ridiculous and cheap on such an expensive hatch! The GT Sport is just a cosmetic addition to the lineup!
Durango Dude is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2017, 23:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I'd first ask VW to remove that tacky GT TSI/GT decal on the C pillar, looks ridiculous and cheap on such an expensive hatch! The GT Sport is just a cosmetic addition to the lineup!
It might be possible to have the car without stickers, in the first place. I remember the dealership people telling me they used to put the "IPL Edition" stickers on Vento themselves, as the cars did not have them from factory.
halfbytecode is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote