Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 7th June 2017, 13:06   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

NOTES:

1: Thanks to the team at Auto Punditz for sharing these sales numbers with us!

2: Only cars that sell 500+ units (and thus, the relevant ones) have been included in the gainers & losers chart.

3. These manufacturer-reported sales numbers are factory dispatches to dealerships. They are NOT retail sales figures to end customers.
Aditya is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: May 2017 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Aditya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:14   #4
Team-BHP Support

Aditya is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:17   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Indian Car Scene!
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Not the perfect month to do a proper analysis. Manufacturers / Customers would have been waiting to get a clear idea regarding GST. Still, there was double digit growth.

Some interesting observations :

1. The sales from Nexa channel are more than Honda, Mahindra, Toyota etc. I mean 3rd place on the list.

2. 7/10 top selling cars are from Maruti Suzuki and 3/10 from Hyundai.

3. C segment Sedan battle is only between City and Ciaz. No other cars in the segment sell more than 1000 units.

4. Vitara Brezza sales are 4 times more than Ecosport.

5. Honeymoon period of Kwid is over. The car is readily available at most of the dealerships.

6. Bye bye GM!! ONLY you are to be blamed for the great failure in Indian market.

7. S-Cross has been stabilised at around 2000+ units since many months.

8. Grand I10 is one of the most successful car from Hyundai. This car is like how Swift is for Maruti.
Dr.Naren is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:42   #7
BHPian

Tata- Sad to see the Hexa lose sales like this. Just keeping my fingers crossed that its a supply issue and not a demand one. Tiago is doing vey well almost nudging the 5K mark while the Tigors sales drop again

Chevrolet- Massive discounts for clearing stocks don't seem to be working. Looks like they have stopped importing Trailblazers.

Datsun- Strictly mediocre performance by Datsun. Never really liked the idea of a second brand by Nissan.

Hyundai- The Creta and elite i20 see a slight drop in sales (GST effect?). While the i10's sales increase by 1K. Verna continues its poor run while Elantra and Tucson are doing fairly well considering segment standards.

Ford- Endy's sales drop by 50% to a paltry 300 units. Wonder whats wrong. Ecosport also loses 400 units as compared to last month. Aspire and Figo continue their average run.

Mahindra- Verito drops to single digits while the nuvosport manges only 60 units. XUV remains consistent while KUV also loses 200 units but does much better than expected. Look at that decade old Bolero crossing 6K!

Maruti- Ciaz sees a HUGE drop to only 4k from 7k units. Maybe due to pending facelift or is it Nexa?? The Alto claws back some sales and the Brezza also does the same. The wagon r continues between 15 to 16k. S-cross portrays lack of consistency yet again by dropping 400 units.

Nissan- No new products to talk about. Below average sales.

Skoda- Rapid drops to 800 units while the Superb drops to single digits again. Octavia doing fairly well for itself.

Volkswagen- Ameo drops to 3 digits again. Vento sees a massive drop to 400 units only. 16 units of the Jetta are shipped for stock clearance most likely. Tiguan has a mediocre start.

Honda- amaze and brio see massive drops. City also drops 1k units to 4k. Wr-v seems to be settling down now.

Toyota- Innova remains bread earner. All cars see a minor drop in sales most probably due to GST.

Fiat- Poor performance. Hope they bring the Argo here or they will be forced to do what gm did!

Renault- kwid and duster are the two stars. But the kwid still can't equal the Alto. Talk about brand image!!

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 7th June 2017 at 13:47.
vishy76 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 13:52   #8
BHPian

I think one reason why Car sales are down may (particularly SUV's) is due to awaiting price cuts in GST regime.

Creta, Innova, Hexa all witnessing significant drop. Expect this to continue this month as well unless some meaty discounts are provided. Surprisingly Fortuner remains unaffected which is somewhat understandable as Fortuner buyers are generally not deterred with 5 Lakhs plus or minus as price of new Fortuner has already proved. ( just kidding!)

Chevrolet numbers down to double digits now which is quite expected. As the News came out mid May, my heart goes out to those who bought the car just few days before. Hopefully service issues will be minimal and they have great ownership of the car.
Muski is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 14:03   #9
BHPian

With new Dzire, from next month top 5 would belong to Maruti alone?

S-cross is settling at 2K, bring in petrol engine with automatic then they can settle at 3.5K.

Both Ciaz And City at 4K level and other losing numbers as well, people are moving towards pseudo SUVs?

Last edited by GTO : 7th June 2017 at 17:56. Reason: Maruti, not Maruthi :)
jaganpec2002 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 16:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

The low HEXA sales are worrying. These can't be supply issues and GST alone. I wonder what more can Tata Motors or for that matter most other manufacturers do in this heavy herd mentality market. The Scorpio sales amaze me. Well done M&M.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2017 at 10:23. Reason: Poorly typed post
narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 19:55   #11
BHPian

Market clearly suggesting Tigor needs better 4 cylinder engines and a revised pricing. The competitively priced Tiago is doing consistently good numbers.

Hexa is slowly loosing volumes.

The old warhorses Scorpio, XUV and Bolero doing well for Mahindra but TUV and KUV are hardly putting up respectable numbers.

WRV has had a decent start and City continues to do good numbers.

Aspire despite being competitively priced and having a stonker of a diesel engine is struggling.

Skoda is nearing extinction in India like Chevrolet.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 7th June 2017 at 20:00.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 19:58   #12
BHPian

My 2 Cents.
Absolutely Confused with the sales chart!

I am not able to understand how May sales became the lowest for the year till now! These are factory dispatches and not real purchases so a customer waiting for GST and it's effect will not be affected here. Wonder what happened.

I assumed Dzire will set the sales on fire this month. Maybe I was expecting it too soon. But am sure it is going to happen.
I am predicting Top 5 positions to be Swept by MSIL in June Sales. Any Challenge?
Amaze Sales are really dwindling and no one in Honda has time to see that. They are busy celebrating the Inflated Success of WRV. With Dzire coming to full swing next month, expect more damage.

Except Grand i10, all Hyundai number are in red when compared to April Sales. wonder what happened there.

What's happening with Renault? KWID clearly losing out but to whom?

Too early to call Hexa a dud? I personally would love to see that as a well deserved blockbuster.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2017 at 17:23. Reason: Typo
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 20:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Too early to call hexa a dud? I personally would love to see that as a well deserved blockbuster.
Its too early I feel, lets wait and watch. Hope its the GST effect and sales bounce back big time. I test-drove the Hexa and loved it. But I have always felt that even though Hexa is a superb package with class-besting features, its side-profile shape is too Aria-ish and non-inspiring. Too MUV-ish like say Tavera, etc.

Also, other than the Hexa's engine, other Tata engines have for far too long been a dud, and such reputations are hard to shed easily (I'm not even going into ASS). Look at the pickup of Storme/Sumo, and compare with Scorpio/Bolero, and we see a world of difference! The Mahindras are so much more fun to drive. I dread getting stuck behind an Indica in Blore, my motto being "Never get stuck behind an Indica, they drive like bullock carts". Indeed, it almost feels like Tata makes trucks that drive like cars (in terms of being under-powered) and cars that drive like trucks (in terms of lack of refinement).

Lastly, Tata marketing team is not doing a good job either. I was in Mumbai airport last week. I saw so many Mahindra pickup/crew-cab vehicles operated by Indigo, etc several airlines. I rarely saw a Tata crew cab. Airports are places where you can grab mind-share of people with fat wallets. Thats where they should ensure that many Tata vehicles are seen, even if it means throwing freebies like free maintenance. I doubt if they're doing that.

Last edited by vharihar : 7th June 2017 at 20:38.
vharihar is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 21:24   #14
BHPian

Maruti Suzuki SWift - 16K even when a new model is coming! This car should be renamed Bahubali. Part 1 or 2 - both are hits!

Ignis is back to 4K territory. My guess - would remain there or fall further. Thus jeopardizing brand Nexa itself.

Toyota Innova sees a 22% drop YoY - bubble bursting? Or GST price reduction anticipation? I guess its the latter.

Tata Hexa - 700 units! Pricing has definitely hit this product. XUV500 - 5 year old product with niggles beats this by three times.

Luxury cars does seem to have taken a hit. Experts say GST to bring down effective tax rate from 55% to 48%. Customers must be postponing buying decisions.
OrangeCar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2017, 21:29   #15
BHPian

Maruti
1) Baleno down around 16% compared to April 2017. Are there any quality issues or is it that people are preferring Brezza over Baleno?
2) Dzire, launched on May 16, was expected to show good dispatches as it is widely considered to be better than the outgoing model – Only 9417 no. during May does not seem to be justifiable for the model, given the sales trend of the outgoing model. Is it a case of intentional restriction on dispatches to create scarcity and show longer waiting period?

Toyota – Etios down 30%. Selling lower than Fortuner in April and May 2017. Going by the trend in sales of Toyota Sedan Vs. MUV/SUV, Toyota may do well to launch new SUVs and MUVs instead of Vios.

FIAT may well follow the Chevrolet. FCA India might be making huge losses if not for its MJD engine business. FIAT should introduce the Multijet-2 engines in India early and enjoy more volume and more profit. Time lost is money lost.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2017 at 10:27. Reason: Typos
DImPo is offline   Received Infraction
Closed Thread