Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd June 2017, 15:56   #16
BHPian

Default re: Any concerns around the Ford EcoSport's latest safety advertisement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Ford is just trying to highlight that their car has 6 airbags and for a country like ours where safety is non existent both in the products offered and the customer's requirement, this advert will do more good than harm if we have to evaluate it in terms of social wellbeing.
It's a marketing gimmick clearly and assuming the kid might change Ecosport's sales luck is what Ford perceives as every kid will ask their parent on how much airbags does their car have and the parent opting to buy Ecosport in the same regards.

Technically yes children with age below 12yrs shouldn't be sitting in front of a seat with an active airbag. Curtain airbags shouldn't pose a risk ideally.

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:16   #17
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Any concerns around the Ford EcoSport's latest safety advertisement?

I fail to see any issue with the ad.

Is the kid seated safely in the back seat as expected?
- Yes

Is the kid wearing a seat belt?
- Yes

Can we determine the age of the kid looking at a video?
- No

Would it have been better if the kid was in a car seat?
- Yes probably.

Is Ford trying to change buyer mindset to count airbags more than screen size?
- Definitely! It is a USP of the Ecosport.

Is the ad misleading?
- Certainly not.
moralfibre is offline   (38) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

I don't have any issues with this ad either. If anything I'm happy with paradigm shift of using safety as the USP vs touchscreen music systems or sporty stickers. Hope this encourages more safety-centric initiatives from Ford's rivals and collectively go some way in changing the priorities for people when they are shopping for a car.
razor4077 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

This thread is a good example of how much our folks understand the function vs the number of airbags in car.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2017 at 17:55. Reason: Removing line about title, as it has been updated just before you posted this :)
anachronix is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:25   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I quite liked this ad when I saw it. Very unlike the ridiculous car/bike ads that a lot of the manufacturers churn out. While most advertisements take things too far in the name of marketing creativity and focus on maximum number of views, this one was very balanced.
  • Focuses on safety
  • Highlights the major USP of the Ecosport.
  • Picks a nice daddy-daughter theme.
  • Ensures that the girl is in the back and belted.
  • Shows the little girl has awareness about airbags.
  • Shows the dad putting on the seat-belt.

I am sure lot of kids who have seen this ad would have asked their parents about airbags. No better way than that to promote a message about safety. An area where we sorely lag.
Rajeevraj is offline   (33) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:30   #21
BHPian

Exactly same thoughts here. Could see the stupidity of ad maker who did not bother to put child in car seat ? How is this acceptable ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I have written to Ford and to the Mr. Gadkari heading the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways about this too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post

Would it have been better if the kid was in a car seat?
- Yes probably.
Probably No ! Probably Child is not even sitting in booster seat. One look at the shot and you can easily make out. However opinions differ and I respect that.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd June 2017 at 17:56. Reason: Consecutive posts merged. Please use our MULTIQUOTE feature. See the FAQs for more details.
vivek.ks is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:34   #22
BHPian

In a country where still lot of vehicles have abysmal safety measures while having bling features like touch screen and keyless entry, Ford's focus on safety is commendable. They are not perfect yet, but among the best in mass manufacturers.
CoolFire is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Misleading Ad - a Hazard for kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
And here we have an advert which has a kid under the age of 12 where it is insinuated that the airbag is safe for her.
Aren't you otherwise sending out a message that side-curtain airbags are dangerous and should be avoided if you have kids?

I see the kid rightly seated in the back, not at the front. And she is buckled up. How many in reality are?

And for god's sake they are making an ad where they have to get the point across in under 30 seconds. And that is to sell their product, not a public interest message.

There have been far more blatant automotive ads like:

- As a standard, rear occupants are hardly buckled up. This is changing off late.
- The 2017 Vento ad is with a woman with her infant in her hands. Surprisingly buckled up here.
- Fastest Indian ad of Pulsar 220
- 2014 Honda City and old Dzire ad with kid on front seat

And you can find many more.

Point being, what's shown in ads or movies is not reality and there are generous amount of artistic license at use especially in TV commercials.

And we as parents ensure the kids follow what is right. That is after all our role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ford has kickstarted a welcome change IMO.
For trivia sake, its Hyundai i20 that's the mass market first to have 6 airbags. Too bad they didn't publicize it that much. Infact Asta(O) was their lowest selling trim, they even discontinued when Elite i20 came out.

PS: mutualfundsaresubjecttomarketriskspleasereadtheoff erdocumentcarefully

Last edited by narayans80 : 22nd June 2017 at 18:15. Reason: Quoting C_D
narayans80 is online now   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:56   #24
BHPian

Given the short time frame any ad has, I think Ford has done a decent job by advertising airbags as a buyers top priority. A kid has been used probably because some parents place a kids' safety paramount in a car. I say *some* as on a daily basis I see so many folks with the kids either (a) sitting almost on the dashboard by virtue of sitting on their mother's lap or (b) sitting in the boot, not kidding have seen umpteen cars (mostly wagonr's) do this.

So Ford is doing the right thing. At the max, if the age of the kid is < 12, which is not apparent in the ad, they could have shown a booster seat but it is nit picking really.

Kudos Ford
arvind71181 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:30   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.ks View Post
Exactly same thoughts here. Could see the stupidity of ad maker who did not bother to put child in car seat ? How is this acceptable ?
Do take look at this TED talk by Steven Levitt. I am quite sure you'll be taken aback by his findings.

Just wanted to point out that it is NOT as black and white as we think it to be.

And I do have a child seat in the rear seat of our car for my daughter.

source
deetjohn is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:37   #26
Team-BHP Support

Just to add to the thought, would this ad be reported to the authorities for dangerous driving?

The kid is shown upside down and climbing rock surfaces in a Fortuner. Would parents be misled that they can take their kids for a drive in a Fortuner upside down as long as it is shod with CEAT tyres?

That's the point.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd June 2017 at 18:38.
moralfibre is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing the advt. - a real good one indeed!
All the modern cars which score 5-star NCAP rating have 6 or more airbags; by this logic none of those are safe for a child.

In this advt the girl is seated on the rear left seat, belted up - just the way its supposed to be. When I saw the title of the thread, the immediate thought was that Ford has done an advt with a child in the front passenger seat. Happy that I was wrong!
vb-san is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:18   #28
Team-BHP Support

Have to agree with many, i feel this advertisement is really good in educating people with regards to safety features. Gone are the days of single or two front airbags, atleast the urban folks check if it has 4 or more these days, especially while picking costlier cars. Except for the missing child seat (dependent on the size / age of the child), atleast from messaging perspective the ad is really good. Even the seat belt positioning over the child's body seem to be as it should be, maybe they have done some edit to make it look like that, but from a safety compliance perspective seems fine.

With the kind of rating our roads are getting for safety, i feel even authorities should step in and insist on safety features on all vehicles sold. Even forego some tax to keep the prices intact!
Jaggu is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 19:19   #29
APV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I am sure lot of kids who have seen this ad would have asked their parents about airbags. No better way than that to promote a message about safety. An area where we sorely lag.
+ 1 to that. Had pointed out this ad to my son(4 yrs now) to convince him that, kids normally sit in the rear seat, while he insists otherwise.

Last edited by APV : 22nd June 2017 at 19:20. Reason: typos
APV is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 20:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

Few points from my end on the ad which aired often during the champions trophy:

The good :

Emphasizes on safety features - probably a first in Indian car ads.
Child is seated on the rear seat, buckled up.

The smoke:

Airbags, of any sorts, can do more harm than good to a kid that age. I know it firsthand, had a curtain airbag open in a car crash once and it touched the top of my left ear. Got a nasty purple colored bruise with pain lasting almost a week.
A rear seat, of any car, is inherently safer than front seat for a child.

The bad

Parents might be wrongly educated by this ad and actually start placing kids 'near' airbags in their cars where the car has only 2 airbags up front.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote