Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th July 2017, 22:47   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic

Hi all,

I am an owner of a Ford Figo 1.2 Petrol ZXI bought in January 2011, done a bit over 32000 kms. Since the past couple of weeks, I had been noticing some oil leakage below the front right portion of the car.

This is a video I made to hopefully identify the source of the leak :

I thought it could be a power steering fluid leak because of a noise that I noticed coming probably from the steering rack, which occured only when the car was being steered while going through an undulation.

Couple of days ago, we all got the news of the recall to replace the High-Pressure Power Steering hose because of a potential leak and subsequent risk of a fire. I immediately checked with Ford to see if my car was a part of the recall, to which I was told that it was not. Nevertheless, I decided to get the issue sorted right away. The 30k km routine service was also pending.

On Sunday 2nd July, I took the car from my place in Noida to Harpreet Ford in Gurgaon, since I used to live in Gurgaon earlier and the car had been serviced only at Harpreet. The technicians informed me the leak was in the Low-Pressure hose which needed to be replaced.

I gave them the go-ahead to replace the faulty part and carry out the routine service procedures. When the engine cover was removed during the routine service procedure, the technicians told me that there was a leak in the High-Pressure hose as well, and that needed to be replaced too. Below is a photo of the same.

Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic-wp_20170702_16_21_02_pro.jpg

Here I must mention that as part of an earlier recall in 2012, the High-Pressure hose had been replaced once before. The same part had now developed a leak, but the car was not part of the current recall which was issued to rectify the exact same problem. This means that had I not visited the service centre, this leak could have gone un-noticed and posed the same risk of a fire.

This also means that there could be other owners like myself who have been told that their car has not been recalled, but may still have the same leak from the High-pressure hose. And unless they're coming in for a routine service by chance, they might be oblivious to the fact that their car also has the same issue.

This concern is in addition to a service experience that was nothing to write home about. I reached the center at 10:30 AM ( after driving through heavy rain all along ). The SA seemed totally uninterested in doing his job, and was very lethargic. The car was first sent to the washing and polishing area due to unavailability of bays, and by the time the actual service started it was already 4:00 PM. I asked the SA to replace the High-Pressure hose as well. Afterwards, I was informed that the Low-Pressure line is out of stock.

When the problem was identified in the morning, why did the folks wait until evening 5 PM to check for the part's availability?

I got the Clutch and Flywheel of my Cruze changed last weekend at Aravali in Gurgaon, and watched the entire surgery staying by my car's side. Nobody raised any objections. But when I came near my Figo at Harpreet, the mechanic gave me strange looks and I was told by the Service Manager that owners are not allowed near the cars while they are being serviced

My point is, when Ford first got to know about the Power Steering issues and issued a recall in 2012, why has the same issue cropped up again after 5 years? And how come there is a vehicle (and possibly many more) here that has the same issue but has not been recalled? And why do I get the feel of shady deeds happening at Harpreet Ford? Me not being allowed near my own car, Service Manager and Mechanics talking in whispers, Service Manager shoving additional part changes down my throat, and what not. On top of that, over the past 2 days, I have noticed a sound from the front shock absorbers which wasn't there before the service.

I have taken this up with Ford, and shall post here as things go on. Highly disappointed with Ford and fed up with dealing with a lousy service staff.

Last edited by Senna4Ever : 4th July 2017 at 23:08.
Senna4Ever is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2017, 15:25   #17
BHPian

Got the hose replaced on my 2009 Fiesta 1.6 during the regular service. Time taken for replacement was about 3 hours. Below parts/fluids were replaced.
1. P/N 6742740 Connector ASSY-P/S (Probably Union) Rs. 250
2. P/N 6N2Z3A719B P/S Hose Rs. 2293
3. P/N 8000047 PAS Fluid 1Lt: Rs. 455

Also Wheel alignment was done free of cost since the cross member has to be dismantled when replacing HOS.

Once change immediately noticed was the firmness of steering. I had long complained that the steering didnt way up with speed as firmly as I would have liked. That vagueness is gone now. Not sure if the new hose design or change of P/S fluid did the trick. I believe its the later.
Dealer: Caculo Ford Goa. Happy with prompt service.
akshay380 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 09:54   #18
BHPian

Received a letter from Ford regarding the PAS hose replacement in our Fiesta 1.4. Attached a snap of the letter for reference.

Ford India recalls over 39,000 units of Figo & Fiesta Classic-1.jpg

However, 2(Fortune,Mody ford) out of the 3 major dealers service centers in hyderabad are unaware of any recall/replacement. It could also be a case of pretending to be unaware in order to avoid the labour intensive and time consuming replacements that are not chargeable to the customer.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 16:53   #19
BHPian

This is not only for India. I received a call today morning regarding the same issue and have been told to visit nearby service Centre at Abu Dhabi for the replacement.

Mine is a Ford Figo 2011MY
snaseer is offline   Reply With Quote