Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd June 2017, 12:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Rumour: Honda to bring new-gen CR-V to India in 2018

Speculations are high that the Next-gen Honda CR-V diesel India launch will be in 2018.

CR-V to come with a seven-seat layout; 1.6-litre i-DTEC diesel paired with all-new 9-speed automatic.
Quote:
The India-spec Honda CR-V will be similar to the ASEAN-spec model sold in Thailand which gets a seven-seat layout as opposed to the North American version which comes with a five-seat cabin.
Quote:
The new CR-V is likely to continue with the same petrol motor as the current car, a 2.4-litre unit good for 190hp mated to a CVT gearbox. The big news is the India-spec CR-V for the first time will get a diesel engine as well. The new Honda CR-V diesel will come with a 1.6-litre i-DTEC unit good for 158hp at 4,000rpm and 350Nm of torque at 2,000rpm mated to an all-new ZF nine-speed automatic gearbox. This engine will be locally assembled in India, which will help Honda price the SUV competitively. Both engine options will be offered with front-wheel drive and optional AWD setup
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 22nd June 2017 at 12:34.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 15:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda CR-V Diesel coming? EDIT: Now imported for R&D

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Speculations are high that the Next-gen Honda CR-V diesel India launch will be in 2018.

CR-V to come with a seven-seat layout; 1.6-litre i-DTEC diesel paired with all-new 9-speed automatic.

Link
A specific output of 100 bhp per litre is bloody impressive for a diesel. And that torque! for a 1.6
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:30   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
All-new 9-speed automatic.
This ZF sourced 9-speed gearbox is the same as the one in the upcoming Jeep Compass. Had massive recalls affecting FCA, JLR and Honda last year, but looks to be reliable ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
And that torque! for a 1.6
Not sure if a 1.6 is good enough for the segment though, specially on a 7 seater. Tucson has a 2L (with 400Nm) diesel, Santa FE has a 2.2L diesel (with 421Nm), and I guess CRV will slot in between these two, however with a 1.6 diesel.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 22nd June 2017 at 16:40.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 16:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This ZF sourced 9-speed gearbox is the same as the one in the upcoming Jeep Compass. Had massive recalls affecting FCA, JLR and Honda last year, but looks to be reliable ever since.

Not sure if a 1.6 is good enough for the segment though, specially on a 7 seater. Tucson has a 2L (with 400Nm) diesel, Santa FE has a 2.2L diesel with 421Nm, and I guess CRV will slot in between these two, however with a 1.6 diesel.

it will all boil down to two things- power to weight and gearing. And I have a sneaking suspicion that 9 speed gearbox will make things very very interesting in terms of performance. Now here's hoping against hope that Honda prices it under 25L ex showroom. Use the diesel mill for their other Indian products and get economies of scale, to keep overall costs down.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 17:31   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it will all boil down to two things- power to weight and gearing. And I have a sneaking suspicion that 9 speed gearbox will make things very very interesting in terms of performance.
UK reviews seem good for the engine. Performance is enough, even though not exciting. And it's a twin turbo diesel.

Quote:
Now here's hoping against hope that Honda prices it under 25L ex showroom.
It's priced same (slightly cheaper) as the Tucson in countries like US. A 19L to 25L price bracket would be good indeed.

Rumour: Honda to bring new-gen CR-V to India in 2018-screenshot_2017062217242102.png
Source - Honda US website.
http://automobiles.honda.com/mobile/...omptrim1=44723
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2017, 18:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now here's hoping against hope that Honda prices it under 25L ex showroom. Use the diesel mill for their other Indian products and get economies of scale, to keep overall costs down.
Quoting myself for a change!

looks like someone at Honda is thinking on same lines as me:

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ne-405206.aspx

Honda to manufacture the 1.6 diesel motor in India!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 18:49   #7
BHPian

Is there any reason that the CR-V is to be sold in India and not the HR-V.
Was there no way Honda could have priced at the HR-V at around 18-20 L ex-showroom?

From what I understand the CR-V will cost in the region of 40L on-road but the engine is now slated to be a 118 BHP diesel !!

The thing is the HALO around Honda products has vanished and their competition has improved by leaps and bounds!
I don't find anything that distinguishes cars like the Brio, Amaze, Jazz, WR-V, from cars made by Maruti and Hyundai !

Getting the customers of these vehicles to jump to a 40L CR-V is much more of a stretch than a 20-25L HR-V.

Will Honda price the CR-V near the Fortuner ? Methinks not.

The 1.5L petrol and 1.6L diesel motors would have also been adequate for the HR-V.

Honda has gone so downmarket now, I would shudder having to walk into the showroom and purchase a 40L vehicle from them - when even for a 6L Brio the showroom and service experience is pretty ordinary.

Last edited by Redline6800 : 23rd June 2017 at 18:52. Reason: additional info
Redline6800 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 20:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Is there any reason that the CR-V is to be sold in India and not the HR-V.
Was there no way Honda could have priced at the HR-V at around 18-20 L ex-showroom?
CR-V has been there since early 2000s and hence Honda is again bringing in new one. HR-V will come later this year or early next year (Auto Expo 2018) if reports are to be believed.

HR-V will retail for 16-20 lakhs, that's a given thing while CR-V shouldn't cross 30 lakhs for obvious reasons.

Quote:
From what I understand the CR-V will cost in the region of 40L on-road but the engine is now slated to be a 118 BHP diesel !!
Pricing will play a pivotal role here. A Decent Equipped CR-V for 21-22 lakhs & feature packed one for 25-26 lakhs would be good. If Honda doesn't equip it as much as European/American CR-V, then it's all over for it. Indian's will pay if car is expensive but we'll equipped. They have done mistakes for all their cars except City, they shouldn't repeat it.

Quote:
Getting the customers of these vehicles to jump to a 40L CR-V is much more of a stretch than a 20-25L HR-V.
Ya, but that's how most manufacturers think like. Take the Innova Crystal & Fortuner, they too are priced at 25/26 lakhs & 39/40 lakhs respectively with no other products in between. Honda will do same I guess.

Quote:
Will Honda price the CR-V near the Fortuner ? Methinks not.
If they do so, God Bless them. Because a Soft roader at a price of off-roader is a disaster. They cannot cross that Endeavour/Fortuner Pricing. When those Pure SUVs are available at same price as these Urban SUVs, people's choice will be former by default.

I hope Honda realises this.

Quote:
The 1.5L petrol and 1.6L diesel motors would have also been adequate for the HR-V.
Yes, those will be the engine options when HR-V launches here. Diesel will definitely be 118 bhp one.

Quote:
Honda has gone so downmarket now, I would shudder having to walk into the showroom and purchase a 40L vehicle from them - when even for a 6L Brio the showroom and service experience is pretty ordinary.
That's how it has been for most manufacturers. Leave Honda, if I walk into Mercedes Benz Showroom, will i not get similar feeling by seeing the Best Luxury Sedan "Maybach 600" costing 2cr and the 26 lakh worth A Class standing under same roof.
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 03:17   #9

The usage of AWD badging is very vague nowadays.

The CR-V is an on-demand AWD where it will primarily be on front wheel and engage rear only when it is necessary. It does not engage during normal driving conditions. I felt a lot of understeer when I drove the previous generation CR-V. I do not know if anything has changed in the newer generation.

The front wheel drive is a curse to automotive industry. And the same on a SUV, itís a disaster in my opinion.
Pontiac is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2017, 05:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiac View Post
The usage of AWD badging is very vague nowadays.
The CR-V is an on-demand AWD where it will primarily be on front wheel and engage rear only when it is necessary. It does not engage during normal driving conditions. I felt a lot of understeer when I drove the previous generation CR-V. I do not know if anything has changed in the newer generation.
The front wheel drive is a curse to automotive industry. And the same on a SUV, it’s a disaster in my opinion.
Pontiac, thanks a lot! You have no idea what a relief it is to find another soul who is on the same page - FWD in my opinion too is a blot on anything over 3.8m. When Alec Issigonis came out with the mini (a landmark success, still being flogged by BMW) he had no idea that this step would be taken to a ludicrous extreme in the 18+ feet long GM goliaths of the late seventies! And so many of the MNC models here today - the Superb, the Accord, the Jetta, the Octavia/Laura, the Camry, the Teana & others, together with the quasi-CSUV-Xover brigade! - are still on the same gravy train (some of them at least have the grace to offer AWD as options). And the buying public still continues to be led up the garden path by these marketing nobel winners!

Last edited by shashanka : 24th June 2017 at 05:43.
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 17:43   #11
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rumour: Honda to bring new-gen CR-V to India in 2018

Thanks for sharing Volkman10! This is the next-gen CR-V, so moving your posts & replies to this new thread.

Last edited by GTO : 28th June 2017 at 08:49. Reason: Make Mod Note clearer
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2017, 15:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Honda to bring new-gen CR-V to India in 2018

New Honda CR-V gets 5-star ASEAN NCAP rating .

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 729
Size:  64.9 KB

The all-new Honda CR-V has been awarded a 5-star rating in a crash test conducted by the ASEAN NCAP (New Car Assessment Program for Southeast Asia).
Quote:
With this, the new Honda CR-V, manufactured by Asian Honda Motor Co, has become the first model to be awarded a 5-star rating under the new ASEAN NCAP Assessment 2017-2020 Protocol.
This new assessment included a frontal offset impact test, side impact test, and evaluation of safety features. The all-new Honda CR-V received scores of 47.25 for Adult Occupant Protection (AOP), 22.84 for Child Occupant Protection (COP), and 18.71 for and Safety Assist Technologies (SATs).

link

Last edited by volkman10 : 17th August 2017 at 15:54.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote