Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th July 2017, 20:06   #16

Default Re: Scoop! VW Polo GTI stock clearance. Now at Rs. 19.99 lakh

VW should have instead cared about launching the Octavia vRS (I don't know if that car's still in the pipeline), if they wanted to launch a performance car in the ~ Rs. 30L range. That car had far better prospects even if it had costed some Rs 5-7L more as it's far more practical, much more upmarket (both in terms of perception as well as the actual finesse of the product) and overall a much more broadly talented car especially at that price.

If VW wanted a halo product for the VW brand, nothing less than a Golf GTI/Golf R would have fit the biil. Regardless of the power and exclusivity packed into the Polo GTI (and the 'Polo' name itself being removed), it's still very much a Rs 20L Polo (without even the flexibilty of five doors) and I'd any day pick the far better balance of performance/practicality offered by the Octavia 1.8 TSI Style Plus.

Most of the potential buyers of the Polo GTI must have been discerning enough to know that the Golf GTI was always the 'original' GTI. Launching that at around Rs 35L (or 40L for the Golf R) would have been far more ideal.
kpower11 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 21:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Somehow feel that VW is going to shut the shop in India eventually . With GST around the corner launching Ameo made no sense . They even told that they are not going to take part in auto show for 2018 and also no concrete info on new launches like new Polo .
Its a possibility no doubt ! With no concrete details about future launches, it seems they have lost interest and don't know how to crack the market. It would be a sad sad day honestly. VW makes great cars and i used to absolutely love my Vento TDI which was eventually replaced by a Corolla (no i didn't buy another VW, inspite of being in love with the Vento). I guess its more to do with the overall suitability of the Japanese and Korean cars as opposed to the Germans in India. Air-conditioning in VW is strictly average and maintenance can be expensive (not always though). Unfortunately VW cant do much about both these problems as these are a part of its DNA. They don't compromise on build, they build cars for colder climates in general and their parts are over engineered, more sturdy (but more expensive to replace).

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2017 at 14:33. Reason: Typo
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 23:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

20L is a rather mouth watering price for this one. Hands are really itching. Gonna check out the on road pricing tomorrow.

I do not know why folks are comparing a small hatch like the GTI with the octy. The only thing common between the two are the engine block and price tag. Anyone considering the GTI at this revised price obviously doesn't care about practicality as they would most certainly have another ride for that. GTI is not a long distance highway cruiser. It is a track tool and corner carver first and everything else second.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 14th July 2017 at 23:09.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 23:44   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
At 20 lakhs ex-showroom, I think it's a great option for the rich enthusiast (2nd / 3rd car of the house). Very viable alternative to other niche cars like the Cooper S for example.
Just goes to show that cars like the mini require an iconic brand not just amazing engineering behind them. A car that matches it in performance but not in brand value, will not sell at premium pricing.

With the polo itself not setting sales charts on fire, I doubt this would be an easy sell either, huge discount notwithstanding.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 23:52   #20
BHPian

I think it's a great car. Undercuts the Octavia (Polo obviously has lesser weight = better performance) and just blows away the Mini in terms of pricing.

The only thing holding it back is the looks! Not that it's bad looking but it looks same as a 7 lakh Polo to a layman's eyes. Should've launched with a lot of differentiation and a different name. It's the marketing team's fault.

I think pricing is brilliant and people who can afford it, should grab it before it's lost forever.

Also, suffice to say hot hatches can't succeed in India.From Abarth to this, such a shame. We're still stuck in that sedan/suvs are more premium mentality.
(The only reason GT TSI sells is it's auto gearbox).
The Brutailer is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 23:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I do not know why folks are comparing a small hatch like the GTI with the octy. The only thing common between the two are the engine block and price tag. Anyone considering the GTI at this revised price obviously doesn't care about practicality as they would most certainly have another ride for that. GTI is not a long distance highway cruiser. It is a track tool and corner carver first and everything else second.
Actually at Rs 20L it isn't such a bad deal. And even the size or the lack of rear doors isn't an issue. But considering the compromise on practicality, at least VW should have packed it to the gills with equipment. In fact, despite the Polo GTI being a CBU, the Euro-spec version still comes with quite a bit more kit than the Indian one. Considering that it compromises almost completely on practicality and also on equipment to a great extent compared to the Octavia, with a tangible (but not huge) advantage in power, a price of around Rs 17-18L ex-showroom would have been ideal.
kpower11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 07:32   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hadn't VW earlier said they'd received a 100 bookings or so? Shows that PR speak is as reliable as a used car salesman's tongue . .
I believe bookings were made, but the people who made them never really went through with the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Never believed it had to be a CBU / CKD.

The car is not too different from the one made in India, except the 3 door versions and the sportier components / additions. The engine is assembled in India. Don't see the need why it should have been a CKD, let alone CBU.

The decision to go 3 door and CBU would have been made only to position it as a halo product. Like the beetle.
Au contraire!

It's very very different. No two components are the same or interchangeable. Starting with the shell, the interior plastics, switchgear, the electronics and wiring, the engine, suspension, brakes, every single thing is different. It shares practically nothing with the home-grown Polo, except maybe the badge. The 1.8 TSI is imported, and whilst most of it is nearly identical with the 1.8 TSI in the Octavia, it still has bits and pieces that are not.

The decision to go three door was simple:

VW had to clear excess stock of the 3-door somewhere, since production was discontinued a few years ago.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2017 at 07:33.
suhaas307 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 09:33   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower11 View Post
If VW wanted a halo product for the VW brand, nothing less than a Golf GTI/Golf R would have fit the biil.
Absolutely. And since it was anyways going to be a CBU halo car, VW could have introduced the Golf GTI with as much effort as they had to undertake for the Polo GTI.

It's still a hot version of the Polo, and nothing more - as far as the mass 'halo' appeal is concerned. No Mustang, or 370Z or Camaro as some of the other brands have tried previously.
Quote:
I do not know why folks are comparing a small hatch like the GTI with the octy.
Because it's a mental mindblock in the Indian market. There was a warm hatch introduced sometime back for 10L and people asked the sedan version of it for more practicality. Similar trend is seen in the Baleno RS thread with multiple comments about how the base version of the City makes more sense.

Likewise, for a souped up Polo - The Indian market would not be paying more money than a proper D segment benchmark sedan available with the same engine - one which is not too bad to drive either!

Mini Cooper is a different story and a Golf GTI would probably have fit in to that segment. The "Polo" GTI however, does not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Au contraire!

It's very very different. No two components are the same or interchangeable. Starting with the shell, the interior plastics, switchgear, the electronics and wiring, the engine, suspension, brakes, every single thing is different. It shares practically nothing with the home-grown Polo, except maybe the badge. The 1.8 TSI is imported, and whilst most of it is nearly identical with the 1.8 TSI in the Octavia, it still has bits and pieces that are not.

The decision to go three door was simple:

VW had to clear excess stock of the 3-door somewhere, since production was discontinued a few years ago.
Absolutely agreed. No arguments.

My point was that it never needed to be a dumping ground for the old product. There was never a business case for a halo Polo variant.

Instead, the base car was always available made in India. Even the engine was assembled in India, albeit with different components and slightly different state of tune. All they had to do was to introduce a properly beefed up (mechanical) version of the Indian four door Polo with the 1.8 TSI at prices closer to 13L - 14L.

That would have made a business case for itself. Hope they do it with the 1.4 TSi atleast now, priced around the 11L mark. I was hoping they had gained that confidence with the success of the GT twins in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Somehow feel that VW is going to shut the shop in India eventually .
Off topic for this thread. More relevant here is the future of this car. With VW struggling to sell 99 units, we can be sure the sales will end once the 99 are sold with discounts.

The car is very different from the Indian version as well. Hope people considering a purchase seeing the discounts realize that the future support for the car might not be easy considering - 1) VW reputation for reliability and service. 2) VW future portfolio itself not committed to India and 3) The car is extremely rare for the market.

Quote:
Anyone considering the GTI at this revised price obviously doesn't care about practicality as they would most certainly have another ride for that.
The point being made is that no one considered it at the earlier price, and the situation isn't likely to change drastically with the current drop in prices.

For example, this happened with my neighbour who has a garage of more than half a dozen of the luxury Germans. Had reported it back then in the GTI thread. Being a fan of his GT, he would have easily payed 15L on a GTI if it had the 1.8 TSI on the Indian 4 door car with brakes and suspension to match. They went ahead and exchanged the GT TDi with the GT TSi instead, a 24L on road price difference between the two made it a no-brainer!

Quote:
My neighbour was hell bent on picking up one, to replace their GT TDi as a fun city car. They already have multiple Europeans (A180, 520D, 3GT, X3, S60, A6) in the garage - so I was pretty sure they would go ahead with the decision, but he seems to have backed out hearing the price.

Well, price is a wrong term may be. The value proposition of replacing a Polo with a Polo for an additional 33L is more like it!

The family qualifies as a typical young generation of enthusiasts and an older generation with cash to support them. If such a family doesn't pick up the GTI at 30L prices, I dont know who is the target audience.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th July 2017 at 09:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 09:46   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Absolutely agreed. No arguments.

My point was that it never needed to be a dumping ground for the old product. There was never a business case for a halo Polo variant.

Instead, the base car was always available made in India. Even the engine was assembled in India, albeit with different components and slightly different state of tune. All they had to do was to introduce a properly beefed up (mechanical) version of the Indian four door Polo with the 1.8 TSI at prices closer to 13L - 14L.

That would have made a business case for itself. Hope they do it with the 1.4 TSi atleast now, priced around the 11L mark. I was hoping they had gained that confidence with the success of the GT twins in India.
I had made this observation in several threads pertaining to the Polo GTI.

VW could have used the existing shell available to them and do a Fiat by making a limited number of locally-made India-specific Polo GTIs.

Without extensive modifications to the drivetrain, the 1.8 TSI will not go into the engine-bay of the Polo. To cram it in, VW will have to relocate the battery. The GTI has its battery in the boot. That mandates extensive rewiring!

The locally made GTI could have been powered by the 1.4 TSI found in the base Octavia. That would have fit in without too many problems.

VW had done exactly that in the Chinese market. But the Chinese market warrants such levels of localization considering the demand for such a product.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 15th July 2017 at 09:47.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 12:08   #25
BHPian

I was drooling. Then i realised that i have a VW Vento and that, i have had problems with Elite Motors Bangalore for every service. And i would let this offer pass. No Thank you.
adityabenz is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 17:45   #26
BHPian

Let's see what VW's been upto:

VW Phaeton - Discontinued
VW Passat - Discontinued
VW Jetta - Discontinued
VW Beetle . Discontinued
VW Touareg - Discontinued
VW Polo - 1.2 TDI - Discontinued
VW Polo - 1.2 Petrol - Discontinued
VW Polo - 1.6 Petrol - Discontinued
VW Polo - GT TDI - 1.6 - Discontinued
VW Vento 1.6 Petrol - Discontinued
VW Vento 1.6 Diesel - Discontinued

VW Polo - GTI - To be discontinued -

VW has discontinued almost every model / variant they've launched.

So what's new with the GTI ??

Doesn't all this reinforce what we've known all along - that VW management is UBER INCOMPETENCE personified?
AMG Power is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2017, 18:10   #27

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The GTI seems good value for money with this price drop. It does have its own demerits such as 2 doors, average rear bench, not enough gizmos for a price of 25 lacs on road, no exclusivity factors in the exterior view, etc.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th July 2017 at 18:13. Reason: Typos
KAUBMW7 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 15th July 2017, 20:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Priced to flop!

A 1.4 TSi which is made in India and priced around 10L? Could have made an impact. Or a 1.8 TSi priced around 13L.
That's never gonna happen. The 1.2 TSI GT itself costs 9.3 L ex show room right now. With 1.4 and higher taxes, it's impossible.
drpudhi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 07:23   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Let's see what VW's been upto:

VW Phaeton - Discontinued
VW Passat - Discontinued
VW Jetta - Discontinued
VW Beetle . Discontinued
VW Touareg - Discontinued
VW Polo - 1.2 TDI - Discontinued
VW Polo - 1.2 Petrol - Discontinued
VW Polo - 1.6 Petrol - Discontinued
VW Polo - GT TDI - 1.6 - Discontinued
VW Vento 1.6 Petrol - Discontinued
VW Vento 1.6 Diesel - Discontinued

VW Polo - GTI - To be discontinued -

VW has discontinued almost every model / variant they've launched.

So what's new with the GTI ??

Doesn't all this reinforce what we've known all along - that VW management is UBER INCOMPETENCE personified?
To be perfectly honest,

The Phaeton has been discontinued globally,

The Passat is coming back,

The Jetta was definitely a genuine failure.

The new Beetle has already been here for a while now,

Touareg did not see much success because of lack of snob value (at that price). So, the Audi Q5 was much better suited for that sort of segment.

Polo 1.2 TDI was simply replaced with a new and massively improved 1.5 TDI for the 2015 facelift.

Polo 1.2P still exists.

The Polo 1.6P didn't see much success because there was no market for hot hatches at all, let alone one from a brand that had only been noticed for the past 12 months (at that time). GT TSI is succeeding mostly because of good equipment levels and the DSG automatic, both of which weren't the case with the 1.6. Plus, the excise duty on the 1.6 made it perhaps a bit more prohibitive for customers.

The 1.6 GT TDI was replaced with a 1.5 with a bit more power, and the current 1.5 also enjoys a much lesser excise duty. Thankfully most of the changes to the engine options were clubbed with the facelift, so that made sense.

Vento 1.6P still exists.

Vento 1.6D was the same situation as the GT TDI (but no excise duty benefits here).

The problem with VW is that they have always had the best products, but they haven't worked enough on their aftersales, or at least they should have had some consistency in equipment levels offered particularly in the Polo and Vento. It's almost as if every time a customer walks into the showroom, the SA will always have something to tell the customer about what has been recently added to the model, to impress the customer just that 10% more.
kpower11 is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 11:33   #30
BHPian

VW is learning few lessons in the hard way !
1. This is Indian market, you can't price your product it to your liking
2. You are no "premium luxo" company (as you think) in the eyes of us
3. Polo is not a halo car in our eyes (no matter what the badge says, GT or GTI)
4. You are no Ferrari , release only 99 for India at Insane prices and hope people will fight for it

hope VW will be more careful about their strategies. I wish if it was the Golf GTI for that price
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote