Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th November 2006, 21:59   #46
BHPian

even though i this thread is about the 1.6 palio and baleno, i would still like to contribute towards this inspite of having a 1.2 palio sport.
well the main thing about the palio when it was launched was the adverts, i was planning to buy an indica v2 at that time,but then one day i saw the schumi advert, and me being a schumi worshipper, decided to take a test drive. wen i saw the car in flesh and blood, i was bowled by her looks, the crystal clear head lamps made me feel as if the car was trying to make a statement, and when i drove her thats it there was no looking back, and the fact is, even after 3 yrs people still gave her a second look, i own a red palio by the way. and the main strengths of the car according to me is the handling, it is always rock steady and all speeds, i never lacked confidence while taking a curve at a high speed thats how good it is,yes the f.e is low but still, the ac,the interior space and all make me forget that. i still feel that i should have gone for the 1.6, but its ok i have upgraded to the new civic which i will be receiving next week. but my palio will always remain my first love and my best pal!!
tif0si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 22:07   #47
BANNED

My mistake...though I could have sworn the thread title yesterday only mentioned Palio...
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 22:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

By decent FE i mean that being a heavy car with good safety and looks + good perfomance engine palio gives a good fe of 10 - 12 on an average. Though it depends upon one driving.

I know you own a baleno and you are a baleno lover but you can not disagree the facts that baleno is not very good on safety. It performs well against its competitors but lacks safety and being 0.5 secs really doesnt make it that passionate to own.

And i can say how many baleno's do one used to see when it was not at a price of 5.5 lacs ?? and how many were baleno lovers / passinate about it ?

It's my personal opinion and nothing can change it until the new baleno launch or they add bulk to baleno and make it a much more looker..

Also MUL is not the only the car maker in the country now. In a view of competition we have Aveo, Fiesta, Petra and Verna. So i think that no manufacture will miss anyones purchase, it's the dealer's who miss it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
Maybe you could start with defining "decent FE". Then we could get talking.
Don't bother too much. MUL will not really miss your purchase.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 22:52   #49
Team-BHP Support

Yet another Palio v/s Baleno thread in the making?

My $ 0.2. I had an option to go for a used Palio or a Baleno or a VTEC. A used VTEC was out of my budget, a Baleno or a Palio in good condition was not to be found. Very few people who bought these cars in their peak time are ready to sell them if they have fallen for it and for those who did not, the cars are in a trash condition. I ended up buying a 1.6 Sport just for the sake of my passion and a lot of criticism.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th November 2006 at 22:58.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2006, 23:42   #50
BHPian

Common people,lets not get into this mine vs yours war this time around.I think this thread should be dedicated as a tribute to these two pocket rockets.And thats just as well since the "days of thunder" for these two are numbered.The current Baleno 1.6 might no longer be in production(thats what we are getting to hear from dealers) and the Palio 1.6 might soon follow suit.
Whatever said and done,these two rightly belong to that coveted list of "team-bhp's most loved/favoured cars" along with the Zen,OHC Vtec,Lancer and Ford Ikon 1.6.
All thats good has been said about the Palio time and again.And the same goes for Baleno.
I'd like to add that I love my car for a fact that in today's day and age of computer chip controlled cars where you put your foot down and then wait for things to happen,the Palio comes as a surprise.You just need to dab the pedal a teeny bit and it goes...I mean it really goes.That response is something I have'nt come across somehow in any other car under 10 lakhs,not even in the Ikon 1.6 somehow.And you cannot drive this one slowly even if you want to,such is its character.It makes a fast driver out of a slow one.
At times pedestrians have to bear the brunt of its sudden acceleration.Here is what happens.I'm at a signal.The pedestrian in front thinks he can manage to cross my car before my car approaches him.The light turn green.I go about my usual business of changing gears at 2000 rpm and keeping a light foot on the pedal.Still,the car manages to surprise me and the pedestrian and covers ground really fast.Now he is smack bang in the middle of the road waiting for me to run over him.Finally I end up lifting off the throttle and braking hard,only to see a bad stare on the pedestrian's face.Its really not difficult to misjudge the speed at times.Its made me realise that this car can go mad.It may not be the fastest out there,but is special alright.
And then there is that noise,which is'nt just a noise.It sounds like a miniature version (say a 1:50 ratio) of a V8 engine. That raspy note is to die for.Before I get out of control,I think I'll stop.
So,we have to salute these cars for what they've given us,the not so filthy rich enthusiasts in the past few years.A chance to own something out of the ordinary at a not so big price.Who will be the next most favoured/loved cars on Team-bhp?We should get that answer in a couple of years from now.The Fiesta seems to be having the right ingrediants.Its not an Ikon,but is definitely better than the present lot of new sedans.Until then, to the Baleno/Palio love affair.

Last edited by roms : 12th November 2006 at 00:00.
roms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 00:04   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh
By decent FE i mean that being a heavy car with good safety and looks + good perfomance engine palio gives a good fe of 10 - 12 on an average.
What does looks have to do with FE ? Do a search on the forum and you will see the actual user quoted FE. That is like single digit buddy. If that is decent per you, well, then GWB will be Prez for the 3rd time.

Quote:
I know you own a baleno and you are a baleno lover but you can not disagree the facts that baleno is not very good on safety. It performs well against its competitors but lacks safety and being 0.5 secs really doesnt make it that passionate to own.
I own a Baleno and yes I love it. Just like you love the Palio. So whats the big deal here ? Safety ? Show me some actual safety ratings for the Palio1.6 and then we will talk on that. Being heavy does not mean being safe.

Quote:
And i can say how many baleno's do one used to see when it was not at a price of 5.5 lacs ?? and how many were baleno lovers / passinate about it ?
The Palio never sold at a premium again, right ? Even at a discount, what does it sell ? A few hundreds every year or so, right ? Atleast the Baleno did much better than that.

Quote:
Also MUL is not the only the car maker in the country now. In a view of competition we have Aveo, Fiesta, Petra and Verna. So i think that no manufacture will miss anyones purchase, it's the dealer's who miss it.
Did you think the dealer makes the car appear from hot air ? If the dealer does not sell, the manufacturer is the one taking the hit.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 00:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

phew..!!!

Dont think this thread will last long.....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 01:45   #53
BHPian

it was about time we gave them their due.

i have no experience of Baleno, but a proud owner of new 1.6 sports. i have bought this car after a wait of 4 long year. no other car has made such an impact on my heart. now the other cars which i had is ikon 1.6 and currently new Vtec. they all are heck of a performer, still palio is somehting else.
i stay at palm beach and cant help going for a drive in night since palio has come i remember few days ago i overtook an accent. this fellow got worked up and climbed on the speed overtook me at 100 i let him go for a while then hit the acceleartor even in the fifth gear it took off i soon left him behind at 135 now it was a curve and he took it at 140 i slowed down let him go. just did not want to take chance i was only getting used to it then day before yesterday it was corrola, same curve and i zoomed past him at 150 my eyes were glued to the road and now it was his turn to back off when i looked at odo 150 my god i took the same curve at 150.

now to all sane people out their definetly should not try it, but sit in a palio and see what it makes out of you.

second thing after 1st service i am ripping it still getting 10.2, that is two digit with a nice touch of fraction involved. anyway would not have cared less even if it was single digit.
fight_club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 12:53   #54
Senior - BHPian

One thing is for sure, if you drive a Palio once, you will get addicted to it!
When you see the package it comes along with - Build Quality, Space, Looks, Ride Comfort etc, a true Car enthusiast will grab it without breaking his head over Service, Resale value etc...!

And the Best is yet to come - Grande Punto, Linea etc!!!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 16:18   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I own a Baleno and yes I love it. Just like you love the Palio. So whats the big deal here ? Safety ? Show me some actual safety ratings for the Palio1.6 and then we will talk on that. Being heavy does not mean being safe.
SB - He's right I remember reading that the Baleno fared pretty badly in the Euro NCAP crash test. Let me try & search for some concrete data there.

EDIT: Found it & as I thought the Baleno fared poorly and scored only 1.5 stars. Here's their assesment of the car's safety features:

Quote:
The Baleno is not equipped with a driver airbag as standard in all EU markets, so Euro NCAP tested this car without one. In the frontal impact, its driver would have been likely to sustain a severe head injury. He would have also risked severe chest injury in the side impact so the second star is 'flagged' to indicate unacceptably high risk levels. The car would not meet forthcoming side-impact legislation for new models. Two of the three leg impact test sites on the bumper met proposed pedestrian protection requirements.
More information can be found here: http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...p?id1=2&id2=42

Last edited by iraghava : 12th November 2006 at 16:22.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 15:09   #56
Senior - BHPian

I guess instead of the baleno, the esteem & the lancer should have been included alongwith the Honda City. Baleno really does not have the looks to qualify. I love the baleno, but really cant see anything to be passionate about. It is more like a wagonR, a sensible, practical car, thats all. you really do need looks for that & baleno, IMHO, does not have any.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 15:27   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
I guess instead of the baleno, the esteem & the lancer should have been included alongwith the Honda City. Baleno really does not have the looks to qualify. I love the baleno, but really cant see anything to be passionate about. It is more like a wagonR, a sensible, practical car, thats all. you really do need looks for that & baleno, IMHO, does not have any.
agree lancer is a stonker but esteem "better than baleno", i guess not in this life. over & above looks are subjective matters, i dont like bentley, it doesn't mean i m a fool.

we are talking about being passionate & trust me, i have not met many people who drive an esteem & are passionate about it. rather i wud say they are the ones who like plain jane. whereas the baleno owners pay almost a lakh more just for that little extra. else these 2 cars dont have much difference.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 15:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
I It is more like a wagonR, a sensible, practical car, thats all. you really do need looks for that & baleno, IMHO, does not have any.
Man, you just added fuel to the raging fire

My idea is this thread should ideally be restricted to Palio/Baleno as the thread starter intented. because these two cars belong to a categor of their own...Hold on...don't stare.. let me explain

OHC, Esteem, Lancer, Ikon 1.6 have their own really passionate fan following. But, owning these cars would never draw strange "are you crazy???" stares from your family, in-laws, colleagues and neighbours (including their dogs). These cars do continue to have great image among aam janta (we like them for other reasons).

Now, about Palio/Baleno? Do I need to explain more?. Its more of a "me agaist the world" attitude. Thease people had to defy so called common sense to buy Palio and Baleno (Baleno being less so-being from Maruti itself gives it common man's acceptance- a bit). That is precisely why we keep seeing Palio owners popping up in every thread and saying "Its a great car". A feeling of Insecurity within them?

Two cars that needs special mention in this "Its the greatest car" world is Hyundai Accent and NHC. I am sure there are Accent/NHC owners here in the forum. But we don't see many complaints against Accent/NHC. Neither any superlative statments. Seems they are a content lot.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 15:45   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I love the baleno, but really cant see anything to be passionate about. It is more like a wagonR, a sensible, practical car, thats all. you really do need looks for that & baleno, IMHO, does not have any.
If what you say is true, why Baleno is one of the most popular car in Team-BHP along with Palio? Are you suggesting Team-BHP members don't know much about cars?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 15:58   #60
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
If what you say is true, why Baleno is one of the most popular car in Team-BHP along with Palio? Are you suggesting Team-BHP members don't know much about cars?
Baleno may be somewhat popular, but I dont think Palio is. Palio members are more vocal than others. Baleno is picking up just recently. At TBHP meets which I have attented(including mega meet) Palio was not in the majority. There were more swifts, santro's and indicas! Infact IIRC even baleno was rare.

Also keep in mind that though Baleno and Palio are recommended very often in what car threads, not many people go with the recommendations.

PS: I am not saying wether Baleno or Palio are good or bad. I dont own them, so cant comment, all I know is they are not the most popular if you count the numbers.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote