Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2006, 05:58   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

My first car was a Palio (which is still in the family;i.e not sold off) and my second car is a Baleno..Need I say more
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 06:56   #92
BHPian
 
mahadev_kc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 318
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Though you hate about the service, company reputation, buy a car against all odds is a person's passionate about it. Yep I bought Palio 1.6 Sport against all odds because what I wanted was there in Palio 1.6.

Infact the quality of build is so much that, when I visited Nandi Hills two months ago, people are taking photos standing infront of my car that too in different posture. Just to show their near and dear ones that "See this is my car.. Imported"

Even before going bed, She pulls me out of home to see once.
mahadev_kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 09:17   #93
BHPian
 
greatDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 546
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

March 2005,After driving 800 for more than 3 years, I was looking for a 3 box car which was 6-6.5 lac on road.
Cars in contention were
1.Ford Ikon.
2.Accent.
3.Corsa.
4.Baleno.
Test drove all these and was about to book a COrsa for its build and Ride quality until I Drove my friends Palio.
Sitting inside the palio gave me some confidence to go for a Petra 1.6 test drive.
After driving petra for 25-30 kms( all kinds of roads) It was a clear winner for me.
I remember a thread in TBHP going at that time " When will Fiat shutdown in India".
Despite knowing all these rumours, My heart felt in love with Petra and I bought it.
FE was never an issue since all above cars were supposed to give 9-11kmpl in a city like bangalore.
With 5.5 lac in Bangalore, Petra seems to be real VFM.
With Fiat revival in India, My love for this car had paid off and I am planning to keep it for at least 5 years.
Cheers
GD
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 09:27   #94
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,384
Thanked: 14,313 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
Please do not put words into my mouth, samurai sir.)
I didn't, I was just re-confirming your reply. This thread is about what makes lots of Team-BHPians so passionate about Palio and Baleno, which is a fact, the original poster was asking why. You came in saying there is nothing to be passionate about Baleno, which basically hints that all of us Baleno lovers are clueless. My brother is passionate about his coin collection, and I am not. But I don't tell him there is nothing to be passionate about coins, instead I assume he knows something I don't know and leave it at that. If you don't understand the passion towards Palio/Baleno, you could extend the same courtesy I extend towards my brother's coin collection. In short, don't ridicule just because you don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
If & when i do give up my esteem, i will only buy the baleno or the OHC. What i did not expect is for you to exclude me from Team-BHP. Being passionate about your car is not just retorting to any bad remarks made about it in a forum.
When you question/ridicule other people's passion, don't expect a placid response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
In that case, i would have to jump into most conversations in what car when people call the esteem a lot of names as also with many other cars.
You have full rights to do it, nothing wrong about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
of course, i do not have the experiences that you have had in driving in cool(read as foreign) countries & then in india.
Not sure what this has do with the topic in hand.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 09:50   #95
BHPian
 
WhiteKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 828
Thanked: 73 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
I am glad I didn't have that "common sense" referred to here or I would also be driving a Accent, Santro, Indica etc with a thoroughly bored look on my face.
@ Amit, I really appreciate the spirit. That is why I mentioned "So called common sense". You are doing something that defies commonly accepted view.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
I think its turning out to be funny. If I am passionate about some thing does not mean it has to be popular. I can decide my own passion, no popular votes, right. The very symbol of being passion is it beats common sense most of the time.
Correct. But if you are so passionate about something, then you don't cry for support either. people who defies common view should have the guts to stand alone also, right? I am sure, even if some one asks for advice to buy a Tractor in this forum, someone will shout, "Buy Palio...Its a great car"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
If Accent owners are not sharing their excitement, its possible they dont have much excitement to share (no offense meant to Accent owners, IMHO its a good passenger car with a little less leg room than I like). Possible that its coincidence.
Refer my point above. If you are sure of what you are doing, you don't keep shouting about it. That is what I mentioned about NHC/Accent owners

Winners don't do press conferences...Losers DO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
WK, passion is about beating common sense. What wuld you be calling guys that own Viper, corvette, .... ?
Below my belt, so I wouldn't reply. If you ever happend to drive a Corvette and seen how people react, you wouldn't have asked this

Last edited by WhiteKnight : 14th November 2006 at 09:52.
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 10:17   #96
BHPian
 
goldie_malhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I didn't, I was just re-confirming your reply. This thread is about what makes lots of Team-BHPians so passionate about Palio and Baleno, which is a fact, the original poster was asking why. You came in saying there is nothing to be passionate about Baleno, which basically hints that all of us Baleno lovers are clueless. My brother is passionate about his coin collection, and I am not. But I don't tell him there is nothing to be passionate about coins, instead I assume he knows something I don't know and leave it at that. If you don't understand the passion towards Palio/Baleno, you could extend the same courtesy I extend towards my brother's coin collection. In short, don't ridicule just because you don't understand.
I respect each individuals tastes and decisions, especially those passionate about Palio/Baleno. But, the same courtesy should be extended to other car owners by them. Everything sells here for a reason. Especially "boring" cars like NHC, Accent, Indigo/Indica.

And I sincerely believe passionate owners are often biased towards their passions enough to give an incorrect picture to the un-initiated.

As WK pointed out, its the minorities that make the most noise, because they want to be accepted so badly, and want others to become like them.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 14th November 2006 at 10:20.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 10:49   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
finneyp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 160 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
But if you are so passionate about something, then you don't cry for support either. people who defies common view should have the guts to stand alone also, right? I am sure, even if some one asks for advice to buy a Tractor in this forum, someone will shout, "Buy Palio...Its a great car"
Who the hell is asking for your Support? Is Fiat India or we Palio owners??? We care a damn if people support our choice or not, we just love our Car and would definitly recommend it anyone buying a Car in that price range.

If you are offended by it, just ignore the post or share your ownership experience of your Tractor!!!

Last edited by finneyp : 14th November 2006 at 10:53.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 10:52   #98
BHPian
 
sanjaymugur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 262
Thanked: 53 Times
Default

2 brilliant replies...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms
As for people calling Palio owners noisy/overexcitable,
I was taught a nursery rhyme in...well pre school:-
When youre happy and you know clap your hands......
When you're happy and you know and you really gotta show,when you're happy and you know it clap your hands!!
The clapping of hands was followed by tapping feet and snapping fingers!


Blame it on the bloody nursery rhyme
Palio non owners are more concerned about fe,service and lack of spares than Palio owners themselves.
Palio owner - "Palio is great......."
Non owner- "But what about Fe?"
Palio owner -"I love my car more than my wife,girlfriend,.... er male partner!"
Non owner- "But what about spares?"
Palio owner - "Palio blah blah..."
Non owner- "Alright man,you are going to repent having bought that car.Blah,Blah....."
Palio owner- "Sweet"
Non-Owner - "Salty"
Owner- "Sweet"
And the argument continues.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas
Nothing beats the pain of spending 9-10 lacks still people claiming a car costing 5-6 lacks as better.
i too am a FIAT FAN.. have a PLAIO 1.2 ELX silver frost bought on 27th- oct-2006, Bangalore... just can't sit in any of the other TIN boxes available in the mkt...& i dont need to put on the rear windscreen of my car that my next CAR is from the same brand... to fiat LOVERS it is obvious...

if i have money & fiat releases LINEA it will be my next car..
sanjaymugur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 10:55   #99
BHPian
 
naveendhyani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 542
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

i guess its time MODS close this thread cause its going nowhere now & neither is it sticking on its topic. this has become mine is better than yours thread. if other car owners feel left out please go ahead & create another thread in your cars name, i m sure the MODS wont mind. after all we are here for discussions & not for brick fight

on the other hand we can have a seperate thread which tells what passion actually is.

pas‧sion [pash-uhn] Pronunciation Key
–noun
1. any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.
2. strong amorous feeling or desire; love; ardor.
3. a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything: a passion for music.
4. the object of such a fondness or desire: Accuracy became a passion with him.
5. an outburst of strong emotion or feeling: He suddenly broke into a passion of bitter words.
6. violent anger.
7. the state of being acted upon or affected by something external, esp. something alien to one's nature or one's customary behavior (contrasted with action).
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 11:06   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
spadival's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 1,770
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
As WK pointed out, its the minorities that make the most noise, because they want to be accepted so badly, and want others to become like them.
Who are you referring to as minority here? The people who are in a minority in this thread?
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 11:49   #101
BHPian
 
sreenivass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 872
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
@ Amit, I really appreciate the spirit. That is why I mentioned "So called common sense". You are doing something that defies commonly accepted view.

Correct. But if you are so passionate about something, then you don't cry for support either. people who defies common view should have the guts to stand alone also, right? I am sure, even if some one asks for advice to buy a Tractor in this forum, someone will shout, "Buy Palio...Its a great car"

Refer my point above. If you are sure of what you are doing, you don't keep shouting about it. That is what I mentioned about NHC/Accent owners

Winners don't do press conferences...Losers DO

Below my belt, so I wouldn't reply. If you ever happend to drive a Corvette and seen how people react, you wouldn't have asked this
,

Guy

this seems to be going no where, the point is lost. When some one asks for advice and I strongly love some thing whats wrong in suggesting it. If you have nothing to suggest, no one is critical of your choice.

I do not think any one is crying for support here, if you follow the discussions people clearly say they bought palio/ petra despite hearing about not so good A.S.S of FIAT.

Infact it needs more courage to buy some thing less popular as one has to take risks. I do not think insecurity comes here.

I do not about Tractor, looks to me like its stretched too much.

I cant help if NHC/ Accent owners decide not to share their excitement.

In the age of marketing, winners, losers, every body does press conferences. BTW watch for TV ads.

I have seen enough of corvette/ viper, etc... (A couple of my friends owned them) but you know they lack FE and are expensive to maintain. Definitely not comparable to Accent/ NHC.

I suggest we share passion for our cars than kill some one else's passion or excitement.

Thanks
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 11:53   #102
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,384
Thanked: 14,313 Times
Default

The thread is about why people are passionate about Palio/Baleno. Instead of answering that, the very passion is being ridiculed by many members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
I respect each individuals tastes and decisions, especially those passionate about Palio/Baleno. But, the same courtesy should be extended to other car owners by them. Everything sells here for a reason. Especially "boring" cars like NHC, Accent, Indigo/Indica.
Since this was in response to my post, let me ask you this. What makes you think I wouldn't extend that courtesy, did I insult other cars in my posts? You are free to start a thread saying why you are passionate about your car. I will not come there and bash your passion or the car.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 12:03   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
esteem_lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Madras/Py
Posts: 7,554
Thanked: 445 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
I didn't, I was just re-confirming your reply. This thread is about what makes lots of Team-BHPians so passionate about Palio and Baleno, which is a fact, the original poster was asking why. You came in saying there is nothing to be passionate about Baleno, which basically hints that all of us Baleno lovers are clueless. My brother is passionate about his coin collection, and I am not. But I don't tell him there is nothing to be passionate about coins, instead I assume he knows something I don't know and leave it at that. If you don't understand the passion towards Palio/Baleno, you could extend the same courtesy I extend towards my brother's coin collection. In short, don't ridicule just because you don't understand.

When you question/ridicule other people's passion, don't expect a placid response.
samurai sir , please do not get offended. it is my opinion. i guess i have the right to air my opinion. i never ridiculed anyone for buying a baleno or for saying that they are passionate about it. In fact, i love the baleno & will buy it when i can afford it. I see it as a practical car with all that i want in it. Could you point out where i ridiculed the baleno or your passion for it, please, because i cant see it anywhere. And hey, dont think everyone is your brother. there are strangers out there everywhere. of course i could be your friend, if you want me to.

@ Sreenivass .. i love the petra. i have driven it & it felt great to sit inside the car.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 12:03   #104
BHPian
 
sreenivass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bangalore India
Posts: 872
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Sorry goldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra
I respect each individuals tastes and decisions, especially those passionate about Palio/Baleno. But, the same courtesy should be extended to other car owners by them. Everything sells here for a reason. Especially "boring" cars like NHC, Accent, Indigo/Indica.

And I sincerely believe passionate owners are often biased towards their passions enough to give an incorrect picture to the un-initiated.

As WK pointed out, its the minorities that make the most noise, because they want to be accepted so badly, and want others to become like them.
Goldie

I apologize if you find courtesy lacking on my part. I think every one will accept if you say I did not like sienna/ petra/ palio/ baleno or whatever.

If any one says its a boring car, its for his tastes right.
sreenivass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 12:23   #105
BHPian
 
goldie_malhotra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 757
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Since this was in response to my post, let me ask you this. What makes you think I wouldn't extend that courtesy, did I insult other cars in my posts? You are free to start a thread saying why you are passionate about your car. I will not come there and bash your passion or the car.
This was an extension to your post and not a directed response to you/it. I found an opinion I liked and wanted to add my two cents to it.

Quote:
I suggest we share passion for our cars than kill some one else's passion or excitement.
I second that.

BTW, do read post 8 for what I find to be passionate about in the Palio. Not much, but I am sure I share it with you.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 14th November 2006 at 12:25.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Indian Car Manufacturers: Are they really passionate? offroad_maniac The Indian Car Scene 18 26th December 2012 11:55
A Passionate Auto Mobile Enthusiast!! Rachit.K.Dogra Introduce yourself 1 20th September 2010 08:01
Rider Mania 2009 RTMC Ishtyle for passionate RE Riders! agbenny Motorbikes 68 24th October 2009 13:21
Feels good to be among passionate car lovers Mondeo Maniacs Introduce yourself 9 20th November 2008 08:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks