Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st July 2017, 22:51   #31
BHPian

Default Re: If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?

More clarity on the issue - "It has come to our notice that the 3-minute rule might be applicable only on the highways in Punjab. We will roll out another article once we have clarity on the issue. Our conversation with NHAI Ludhiana office also revealed that the 3-minute rule begins once a vehicle enters the user counter and not the toll plaza queue." Link.
PraNeel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2017, 06:46   #32
BHPian

There is a clarification notification by NHAI on 20th July 2017, stating that no exemption for user fee based on the waiting time of 3 minutes. Taken from the NHAI website. It's available on the front page.
Attached Images

Sree73 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 00:44   #33
BHPian

I have been let go without paying tolls once in China and once in Poland because the queses were long. My Chinese colleagues informed me that if the length of the queue extends beyond a certain point, they must let a certain number of cars. This is enforced by their highway police. I am assuming Poland has something similar. Also the toll booth attendants have smart appearance in nice uniforms, etc. Never had problem getting change in both countries for any denomination bill. The fast pass I used after my initial days in China worked like a charm. If there is one country that needs all these efficiencies and customer centric systems, it is ours.

Last edited by Theyota : 23rd July 2017 at 00:45. Reason: A
Theyota is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:08   #34
BHPian

This is a perfect example of fake news, the media published it as click bait. Before I got my fastag , the average wait time was 2 minutes per vehicle at BETL. Today, fastag works but there is a deliberate attempt to make it inefficient by allowing all cars to use the fastag lane.

I've yet to see any promotions for this even as we are bombarded with propaganda about the benefits of going cashless.
avira_tk is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 07:03   #35
BHPian

IMHO it is a very difficult one to be 'automated' be it 3 minute rumour or the number of vehicles logic. Suppose it is a high traffic day and 10 vehicle is the limit - then it will mean that toll operators would have to be keeping their toll gates open most times, and who benefits here, 1st person in the queue or last person in the queue? The discussion will continue for ever.

However my suggestion on this issue is to involve Traffic wardens, just like any traffic junction where there is a pile up, they manually release traffic, the control should be given to these wardens and ensure that they are not bribed! May be they do it from a remote location with gate control and access to a cctv.
sam_sant2005 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 11:55   #36
BHPian

All this conversation- long and short is unless there is physical threat and harm brought on the Toll Operators, there is NO excuse from paying toll.
Yesterday we took 32 minutes to crawl from MCDonalds to the Kharghar toll (exempt for cars)- and yet trucks and buses that were taking an hour to make the distance were paying toll.
I do not propose threats or harm- but the authorities have a ready answer for anything we will ask them.
It should be 3 minutes or FREE.
OR
The promise of >3 min is a hoax.

That's it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th July 2017 at 19:02. Reason: premise - promise
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 13:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
Before I got my fastag , the average wait time was 2 minutes per vehicle at BETL. Today, fastag works but there is a deliberate attempt to make it inefficient by allowing all cars to use the fastag lane.
Sorry, I may digress a bit, as its not just about the "3 minute" article.

my experience with Fastag is also mixed, bit more on the bit negative side.
Mostly I have seen even longer queues in the dedicated Fastag lane, and later I find that many non-Fastag vehicles have entered this lane & paying using cash! As a matter of fact, at many toll booths I have seen big banner saying "non-Fastag users found in Fastag lane will be charged 10 times the toll amount" (dont remember the exact text). But, who will really monitor this and bell the cat (i.e. charge such users).
Many times I kept honking at the barricaded Fastag lane, and maybe a guy walks (slowly!) to remove the barricade only after seeing my Fastag card!

Classic one: Recently, after my failed attempt of calling the guy to remove the barricade in the Fastag lane, I entered the normal queue. And just then saw the guy running to open the Fastag lane for a "vip" vehicle, who even didnt pay the toll. Additionally, the vehicle had blackened glasses, but who will question!

I have witnessed few times in Mumbai (& just sometimes on other highways), that during busy hours, when the long queue is really messed-up, the toll guys will let go few vehicles without asking for toll charges, this is to clear the queue. But this is just done at random at their behest, and toll guy may "revert" this process to "normal" just when you were trying to pass freely, and you couldn't even argue!

I have also come across some literature that if queue is build-up till some yellow-marking before the toll booth, then you could deny paying the toll charge. Didn't really check the veracity of this.

Even happened few times that before / after seeing a lot of bad roads, we still have to pay toll towards the development of road infrastructure, funny!

Finally, now we facing these wars-of-words, that 3 minute wait time is really IN the queue, or AT the booth, and what not such parameters! Rule should be simple, and adhered well. Overall, even if planning maybe right, but execution still is a big challenge.

Last edited by pcpranav : 24th July 2017 at 13:25.
pcpranav is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 17:43   #38
BHPian

https://thelogicalindian.com/awarene...nutes-waiting/

This article is quite clear on the issue of payment of toll fee if it exceeds 3 minutes which is that any any vehicle that waits in queues for more than 3 minutes at toll plazas does not have to pay the toll; and any inconvenience faced by travellers on roads where a fee is collected can be taken to the Consumer Forum.

The only question is if someone will be willing to take all the trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?-1.png  

If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?-2.jpg  

If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?-3.jpg  

If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?-4.jpg  

sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 18:44   #39

Default Re: If you wait more than 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll? EDIT: Ministry denies r

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Not to mention Mumbai where Toll booth staff is smart enough (along with the drivers) to identify the currency note the driver is displaying as he approaches near the booth and he passes this message to the fella inside and he fetches his hand out with a receipt and the right change. It has worked reasonably faster every time I have passed Mumbai for Thane and beyond from Panvel. And most of the time this transaction is complete while your wheels are still spinning without coming to complete halt.
But this is only at the toll booth, what about the long serpentine lines of vehicles to reach the toll booth? That also constitutes the waiting period, right?
RahulD1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 19:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: If you wait more than 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll? EDIT: Ministry denies r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulD1980 View Post
But this is only at the toll booth, what about the long serpentine lines of vehicles to reach the toll booth? That also constitutes the waiting period, right?
The "wait" means the total waiting time and not the "transactional time".

It also means that you need to have an efficient system to manage the queues such that none of them have to wait for more than 3 minutes. It also means you need to had adequate staff and number of booths to cater to this.

The waiting time for transaction at the window is 10 seconds only.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 19:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the toll roads are nothing but a scam.

1) In the west, a toll road is in addition to a non tolled road, so one always has the option of taking a longer route without paying any charges. In India there is no such option in many cases.
2) The bidding for the toll contract is not transparent, for ex: the toll contract for the Bombay entry points was awarded without any tenders.
3) The duration of the toll gets extended on an arbitrary basis and the toll collection far exceeds the cost of constructing the road.
4) Even after paying toll, you are driving on pathetic roads, where the toll collector does not maintain the road and you end up driving through potholes.
5) The toll collection is so messed up that you end up wasting 5-10 minutes at the toll naka. This ultimately defeats the purpose of a tolled road, which is supposed to be a high speed road which reduces the travel time
6) The minimum distance between 2 toll nakas as prescribed by the NHAI is 60 kms. That is not always followed, for example: They built a new toll naka at Kharghar in violation of the 60 km rule. The toll was collected on an existing road. No improvements were made to the road, not even in the slightest sense. The road is still a nightmare to drive on with numerous accidents on a daily basis. After numerous protests, the toll was waived for cars and LMV's while it continues illegally for trucks, buses etc.

Hence, I think the whole toll roads should be reviewed and even if it is required, it should be as per the standard and no more than the concession period. No extensions strictly.
Lalvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2017, 17:00   #42
BHPian

These notification could be really confusing, or are really made to confuse normal people (& gain something out of it) ? The big question remains, for a common man, how can all run really smoothly ?!
Building & running infrastructure has two aspects, and things have to be looked in totally, revised appropriately as per changing times. We all know that time & money are needed to build a better tomorrow, but at what cost, and for who's real benefit ?!

Allow me to please again digress a bit!

Sometimes on the national highways, and regularly at the Mumbai tolls, I try paying toll using my Paytm on phone, riding the digital bandwagon. However I have always noticed that Paytm method consumes more time completing the 'transaction', just because either toll guys are not trained to handle, or they still searching for the QR Card, etc. So, if I take few more seconds, and multiply with similar cars, then queue will surely surge, affecting even the guys who were ready to pay by cash, funny !

Link : Tolls between Navsari to Mumbai : Boriach - Bagwada - Charoti - Khaniwade - Dahisar (total distance: 210 KMs).
Now consider a vehicle after paying toll at Khaniwade, runs towards Mumbai. In the last leg, vehicle will encounter the Versova Creek bridge (also called Vasai Creek Bridge, build about 5 decades ago), and after crossing this bridge, one can turn Left towards Thane, or go straight towards Dahisar/Mumbai. This bridge has been having issues since few years, and been repaired few times. This repair work has hampered hunderds of vehicle, costing them precious time. However, neither Khaniwade nor Dahisar Toll stopped asking for toll charges, even knowing that vehicle really witnesses many hours of traffic jams. I read a PIL was filed (Link), but don't know status. These days the situation is quite better : Link

Trucker association offers Rs.20000 crores to Central Govt to scrap all tolls across India, to save time, money & fuel. Read Here. Really, so much money can be saved for the nation.

Chenani-Nashri tunnel, between Jammu & Srinagar:
Known as "Patnitop Tunnel", its a 9.28 KM of tunnel.
Key Saving Offered: 30 KM less travel, cuts travel time by 2 hours, fuel worth Rupees 99 crore per year (around 27 Lacs per day).
Link-1, Link-2

Dhola-Sadiya Bridge, links Assam & Arunachal Pradesh:
Known as "Bhupen Hazirika Bridge, its a 9.16 KM long bridge.
Key Savings Offered: 165 KM less travel, cuts travel time by 6 hours, fuel worth Rupees 10 lacs per day.
Link-1, Link-2

Road ministry sanctions 115,435 kms of national highways: Link

Some North East India infrastructure projects:
Link-1, Link-2, Link-3, Link-4

Chenab Railway Bridge :
This will be world's tallest bridge, even taller than Eiffel Tower, read here.

Some more Article: Link-1, Link-2

The point is, most people don't mind paying toll if it really provide them better services. However, services should be properly rendered without much deficiency, and accountability rule should apply evenly.

On a similar note, lets say I go to a restaurant for dinner. Now if the table is free then I take a table, order my food, and expect the food to be delivered in reasonable time. However, if the restaurant is running full, then manager would tell me about expected delay in getting my table itself, and maybe also advise me of bit delay in serving food too: then its my decision to either wait or go to another place etc. However, I wont expect surprises at my own cost, which would be forced! Happy eating, happy motoring. TGIF!

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 28th July 2017 at 17:04.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote