Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2017, 17:32   #241
BHPian
 
Aniket6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 137
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Guys, need help!!
I have been waiting a long time to buy either the T-Fort or the Endy and with great difficult prepared to shell out 35L big ones.
But just this week, prices went up further by Rs.3L OTR for both and dealers are saying its not possible to get the pre-hike prices.
I do not want to buy one now but the prices in a month or 2 comes down again and become a "bakra".

Whats your suggestion, is it safe to go ahead and shell out 38 big ones now hoping it wont reduce in next few months? or wait for some time and observe to see if any reduction in prices atleast with the festival season?

Last edited by Aniket6 : 14th September 2017 at 17:43.
Aniket6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 18:16   #242
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 837
Thanked: 954 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Whats your suggestion, is it safe to go ahead and shell out 38 big ones now hoping it wont reduce in next few months? or wait for some time and observe to see if any reduction in prices atleast with the festival season?

I am currently playing the waiting game for my purchase.Diwali will see some offers. Also Dec/Jan will be a good time. You might get a 17 model with some discounts.
Arjun Reddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 18:19   #243
BHPian
 
abhishek46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 930
Thanked: 1,697 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Guys, need help!!
I have been waiting a long time to buy either the T-Fort or the Endy and with great difficult prepared to shell out 35L big ones.
But just this week, prices went up further by Rs.3L OTR for both and dealers are saying its not possible to get the pre-hike prices.
I do not want to buy one now but the prices in a month or 2 comes down again and become a "bakra".

Whats your suggestion, is it safe to go ahead and shell out 38 big ones now hoping it wont reduce in next few months? or wait for some time and observe to see if any reduction in prices atleast with the festival season?
You can go ahead. Prices will not decrease now.
Atleast till next Budget.
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 18:30   #244
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: -
Posts: 495
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Endy also jacked up from 23.91 to 25.08 Ex Delhi for the base 2.2.
Torquedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 18:47   #245
BHPian
 
ece2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 474
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post

Whats your suggestion, is it safe to go ahead and shell out 38 big ones now hoping it wont reduce in next few months? or wait for some time and observe to see if any reduction in prices atleast with the festival season?

If you are not in a hurry, I would suggest you to wait until atleast December to have a look at the year end offers. Almost all companies would have exhausted their SUV inventory during the pre cess hike period and you may not get good discounts in the near future even on the slow movers. Let the stock build up over the next few months so that you can haggle some discounts during the end of the year.
ece2k2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 16:05   #246
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: India
Posts: 9,351
Thanked: 13,234 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Updated price list specific to Creta post the GST Cess hike

GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked-img20170915wa0003.jpg
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2017, 13:20   #247
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 679
Thanked: 710 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
The definition of SUV says, >4m length, >170mm GC and >1500cc engine.
The 1.4 petrol Compass should fail this test as the engine is 1400cc.

The definition of large car says, >4m length, >1500cc engine.
The 1.4 petrol Compass again fails this test as the engine is 1400cc.

The definition of mid sigment car says, >4m length, <1500cc engine.
The 1.4 petrol Compass passes this test.

So the cess hike should be 2%.

Did I get it right? Or not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by serious_maniac View Post
Knowing Govt, it is OR condition and not AND.

I would believe if GC>170mm - it is a SUV irrespective of length etc.
If engine >1500cc you are a mid size car
If engine >2000 cc it is a large car
small car definition remains same

So if you fall in more than one bucket, you will pay tax for where it is higher. So unless Jeep makes the GC lower by making the bumper lip thicker or dangle something meant to be broken it is a SUV.

~m
Well, the 1.4 petrol Sport got a 23K hike which is ~2% of the ex-factory. The diesels got higher hikes. So the petrol Compass is indeed categorized as a mid segment car and not SUV and hence attracts 2% cess.

Yep, I got it right.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 11:28   #248
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 100
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Car is not a luxury if there is non-existent public transport. Most of our Metro cities aren't even completely covered by Metro rail yet.
A car beyond a Mid size hatch is a luxury in India. And a SUV is definitely is.
I stand by my logic. Considering the roads and the way we drive , bigger more powerful cars should be discouraged. On other taxes like Import Duty, well you chose to import a car and not buy one that is manufactured in this country. Separate topic altogether. None the less. Good move by the government.
spyder_p8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 12:08   #249
Senior - BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
A car beyond a Mid size hatch is a luxury in India. And a SUV is definitely is.
I stand by my logic. Considering the roads and the way we drive , bigger more powerful cars should be discouraged. On other taxes like Import Duty, well you chose to import a car and not buy one that is manufactured in this country. Separate topic altogether. None the less. Good move by the government.
Very myopic thinking, why should I be forced to buy a car with sub-par safety and features just because it is manufactured in the country. I pay a considerable amount of taxes and this is blatant looting from the tax paying citizen.

Also by your logic, my Mini Cooper is a small hatchback and should be exempted from all the taxes other than customs because it's small and efficient. Just proves that the government policies make absolutely no sense and are ill thought of.
quickdraw is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 12:44   #250
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,175
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Are cars dealers allowed to put your company GST number in their office if the car is being bought on directors individual name? However, EMI and payments are being done by the company?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 15:55   #251
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 100
Thanked: 103 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Very myopic thinking, why should I be forced to buy a car with sub-par safety and features just because it is manufactured in the country. I pay a considerable amount of taxes and this is blatant looting from the tax paying citizen.

Also by your logic, my Mini Cooper is a small hatchback and should be exempted from all the taxes other than customs because it's small and efficient. Just proves that the government policies make absolutely no sense and are ill thought of.
You seem to have limited knowledge of full range of vehicle that are manufactured and assembled in our country. Team-BHP has all the great reviews and first drive impressions of all major luxury cars. Some are CKD as well. They are no way behind the imported competitors when it comes to safety or features. Please go through them. And Mini Cooper is just a small hatchback ?


NOTE FROM MOD: Post edited. Please put your argument across in a logical and polite way. Do NOT resort to personal attacks and sarcasm.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2017 at 17:28. Reason: Please see the note that's been added at the end of your post.
spyder_p8 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 15:51   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
quickdraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,004
Thanked: 1,269 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder_p8 View Post
You seem to have limited knowledge of full range of vehicle that are manufactured and assembled in our country. Team-BHP has all the great reviews and first drive impressions of all major luxury cars. Some are CKD as well. They are no way behind the imported competitors when it comes to safety or features. Please go through them. And Mini Cooper is just a small hatchback ?
Mini Cooper comes in 3 door and 5 door hatchback form. Here are some size comparisons for you with popular hatchbacks in India.

Mini Cooper
Length 3,821mm
Width 1,727mm
Height 1,414mm
Wheelbase 2,495mm

Hyundai i20
Length 4,035mm
Width 1,734mm (excluding mirrors)
Height 1,474mm

Maruti Suzuki Baleno
Length 3995
Width 1745
Height 1500

Please refrain from calling arguments ignorant if they are contrary to your point of view. A healthy discussion cannot thrive if you make up your mind that others on the forum are stupid.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2017 at 17:28. Reason: Editing quoted post.
quickdraw is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 15:58   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,143
Thanked: 2,782 Times
Default Re: GST cess on midsize sedans, SUVs & luxury cars hiked

Quote:
Are cars dealers allowed to put your company GST number in their office if the car is being bought on directors individual name? However, EMI and payments are being done by the company?
Won't serve any purpose, GST is not available as ITC on Automobiles yet except for leasing and few limited segments. But you need to check Tax implications if the car is in name of Director ( Director PAN) whereas payments are done via Company ( Different PAN) unless its a proprietorship company. I may be wrong though but better you buy in company name only and sell to director at later date at book value ( depreciated value)

You can claim GST as ITC on any repairs or extra mods you do if Invoice of such is on your company name carrying correct GST number.


Quote:
And Mini Cooper is just a small hatchback ? wow ? To end this ignorant discussion, i would rather agree with you
That's not a correct way to express your views, Yes Mini is a compact Hatchback

Quote:
Some are CKD as well. They are no way behind the imported competitors when it comes to safety or features.
Agreed, Mercedes sell Maybach at around 1,80 Cr, perhaps what Quickdraw meant was the availability of certain features in a particular segment, like there are limited CKD hatchbacks with 6 or 7 airbags and stability controls.

Last edited by Turbanator : 10th October 2017 at 16:07.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spare Parts Price Comparison - Midsize Sedans JayKis The Indian Car Scene 33 1st December 2016 13:20
Rumour: GST could mean the end of sub-4 metre compact sedans Motard_Blr The Indian Car Scene 14 9th August 2016 16:07
SUVs safer than sedans? Edit: evironmental impact discussions too bhogalrajnish The Indian Car Scene 217 22nd June 2015 19:35
Road Tax rates Hiked. Vehicles get expensive in Haryana *UPDATE* Apr'13 Hiked again .anshuman The Indian Car Scene 28 28th July 2014 13:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks