Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th September 2017, 12:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Rumour: VW to discontinue 1.5L diesel by 2020

With diesels taking the brunt of emission world over, all future products from the VAG for India will hover around petrol and Hybrids till the EV kicks in beyond 2030.

TSI's could be the future for the VAG group in India. This would also fall be inline with the NEW generation of Vehicles from the VAG stable.

No future products from the group will have diesels on offer. Hence, VW’s Polo, Ameo and Vento along with the Skoda Rapid will run only on petrol or some form of hybrid power beyond 2020.

Quote:
The VW Group’s 1.5 litre diesel will be yet another casualty of the stringent BS VI emission norms that comes into effect by April 1, 2020. Sources within the VW Group have confirmed that EA189 diesel will not be upgraded to BSVI standards and hence production will stop with the implementation of the new norms
The VW Group’s diesel play in India beyond 2020 will be centred around the 2-litre EA288 diesel that powers a wide range of cars from the Audi, but this could be on hold with the current policies of the government not favouring diesels.

While most manufactures will bring out smaller diesel engines with BSVI compliant in conjunction with the components, VW's 1.5 diesel does not have ”a comfortable enough margin” to comply with the tougher norms.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 11th September 2017 at 12:30.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2017, 13:03   #2
BHPian

Default re: Rumour: VW to discontinue 1.5L diesel by 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

While most manufactures will bring out smaller diesel engines with BSVI compliant in conjunction with the components, VW's 1.5 diesel does not have ”a comfortable enough margin” to comply with the tougher norms.

What an Apt line.
It seems they are admitting openly that their existing engine are already struggling to cope with existing pollution norms.

If they are made to comply with BS6, these mills will choke on their own smoke.

On the other hand, ditching the diesels in the bread and butter category, and becoming a sanyasi, is not going to help.
2030 is more than a decade away, and VW will simply lose lakhs of sales from it's polluting-but-competent 1.5 Diesel.
abhishek46 is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 12:37   #3
Senior - BHPian

Future line-up of engines(for India) from VW/VAG cars will likely be:

- 1.0L FSI/ TSI (65PS and up to 115PS)

- 1.0-liter TSI to different turnings -that develops 115 PS (85 kW) and 200 Nm (147 lb-ft) of torque OR the 95 bhp.

- Moving up to the 1.5-liter TSI with 150 PS (110 kW) and 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) of torque.

- The 2.0-liter TSI

Cars from VW like the T Track, Polo(all variants - GTI), Virtus, T Roc, Tharu, are expected to be powered by either of these engines.

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th September 2017 at 12:42.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 13:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Future line-up of engines(for India) from VW/VAG cars will likely be:

- 1.0L FSI/ TSI (65PS and up to 115PS)

- 1.0-liter TSI to different turnings -that develops 115 PS (85 kW) and 200 Nm (147 lb-ft) of torque OR the 95 bhp.

- Moving up to the 1.5-liter TSI with 150 PS (110 kW) and 250 Nm (184 lb-ft) of torque.

- The 2.0-liter TSI

Cars from VW like the T Track, Polo(all variants - GTI), Virtus, T Roc, Tharu, are expected to be powered by either of these engines.
No TDI at all you suppose? That would be quite a gamble I'd say. At least for now when people have started loving the diesel's torque and so far there don't seem to be actions planned to simply ban diesels as a whole.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 13:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
No TDI at all you suppose?
The new generation of cars( mass market) from VW has diesels - 1.6/(2.0) TDI on offer and for obvious reasons most likely not be an option for India.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 15:50   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rumour: VW to discontinue 1.5L diesel by 2020

Well, the next-generation Polo does have a 1.6L diesel which meets Euro 6 emission norms, thus we'll probably see that here (in the next-gen Polo). If VW wants the small car tax benefits, they can easily shave 100cc off it.

I get a bit upset reading such news. Everyday, I'm getting more press releases on electric cars, and fewer & fewer on petrol / diesel engines :(. Guess we'll have to move with the times. Time to buy and enjoy all the fast internal-combustion-engine cars you can!
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 15:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Well, the next-generation Polo does have a 1.6L diesel which meets Euro 6 emission norms, thus we'll probably see that here (in the next-gen Polo). If VW wants the small car tax benefits, they can easily shave 100cc off it.
Amen to that.

Quote:
I get a bit upset reading such news. Everyday, I'm getting more press releases on electric cars, and fewer & fewer on petrol / diesel engines :(. Guess we'll have to move with the times. Time to buy and enjoy all the fast internal-combustion-engine cars you can!
Things changing faster than we thought or hoped eh? I hope still it will take time for reality to take a gear-stick away from our hands. Hopefully not before we have to appear for tests every 5 years to renew our drivers' license.

I tried this "now or never" card at home to get some support for a Safari/Nexon/Thar (I'm fine for any of these ). But got shot down like a Sabre over Pathankot!

Then maybe would be a time to rename our group from TeamBHP to TeamKW or TeamWH...

Last edited by Reinhard : 12th September 2017 at 16:02.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 18:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
...Time to buy and enjoy all the fast internal-combustion-engine cars you can!
Quote:
Amen to that. I tried this "now or never" card at home to get some support for a Safari/Nexon/Thar (I'm fine for any of these ). But got shot down like a Sabre over Pathankot!
I have had the same thoughts. So when looking for a second car, decided to book a Abarth Punto. Its been 40 days and I have just heard that it may take yet another 30 days for delivery. Was on the verge of cancelling the booking. But reading this thread has strengthened my resolve. It's unlikely that a petrol car as "pure" as the T-Jet powered Punto will become available again at a price-point that's within my reach. I am going to sit tight and wait this out. Wish me patience and luck!
cogWheel is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 21:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the current state it is very unlikely that Volkswagen to re-engineer and localize the Euro-6 engine considering the market size for this engine.

The good news is Volkswagen is likely to bring the MQB platform of vehicles with SKODA leading the development with a 'ECO' car Platform that can accommodate cars of the MQB design.

LINK (Skoda's Mega Plans)

Last edited by volkman10 : 12th September 2017 at 21:06.
Old 12th September 2017, 21:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the current state it is very unlikely that Volkswagen to re-engineer and localize the Euro-6 engine considering the market size for this engine.
Why do you say so? The size isn't that small really. The reengineering won't be that big a deal. Its pretty straight-forward to lose a few cc s. Maruti has been doing that with their K series engines to meet Indian tax slabs.

Also - eventually if that engine in a 1.5 guise is good, it can be made available in other countries also. Looking at the trends, everywhere in the world the emission norms and overall awareness is going to encourage a "smaller the better" paradigm for engines. If people find the 1.5 TDI OK, they won't mind selling it elsewhere also.

Perhaps inadvertently India will be the trend-setter (has already been in some ways for smaller cars and engines).

Please don't say the TDI won't be available at all. It hurts .
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2017, 21:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do you say so? The size isn't that small really. The re-engineering won't be that big a deal..
The current engine in the Indian market is not Euro-6. For VW to localize and further re-engineer makes the business case not viable, exclusively for this market.

VW is having plans for using/ continuing to export from India ( volumes exceed the domestic sales) which then it makes sense to bring the global product including the power-trains.
Old 12th September 2017, 21:34   #12
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
It's saddening to see these changes happening so rapidly, but there's little we as petrolheads can do.
I might sound a little pessimistic here but the oldschool petrolhead in me just can't digest the sheer amount of flak IC engines are receiving world wide.
The most each one of us here could do as enthusiasts would be to retain to their cars or buy new ones while we can and maintain them well to use them for as long as possible.
Like it or not, but with the current changing scenarios of the auto industry worldwide, future is dystopian for the enthusiasts/petrolheads!
Skyline_GT is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote