Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:38   #406
BHPian
 
Skyline GT-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 594
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

One of my friends is a Fancy No: maniac

Swift VXi - KL ** - 1
Innova - KL ** - A1
Fortuner - KL ** - B1
HD 48 - KL 8 ** - 48 (Registered in nearby district to get the # 48)
i20 - KL ** - A 200 (# 120 was already issued therefore chose 200)

The money spent on these no:s in total would by a fully loaded midsize sedan!

People living around Ottapalam would be knowing this guy.

The number CAR 8055 - or CAR BOSS was my dads car for 2 months. It was a 85 or 86 model M800 but re-registered to KLW before we bought it. It had the old book type RC & that is how i found the previous no:.

The car was in a bad condition & we sold it off after finding that the car had major problems.

A big businessman in GCC/Kerala has 2-3 cars with no: KL** - AL 1. His name is Mohammed Ali. ALI=AL1

Last edited by Skyline GT-R : 2nd July 2011 at 15:45. Reason: Added info
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 15:39   #407
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

I agree with you totally, by the way can you tell me which font is the official font of the RTO. I tried looking at some official documents but couldnt find a official RTO font. I think they should come out with their own special font. I can help them with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Its good to be creaive by mixing capital and small letters on paper but it's illegal to use such fonts on the number plates of the vehicles.

If you are ready to pay the 'royality' (fine) to Traffic Police on such number plates then it's okay otherwise keep the things normal.

- Irish
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:15   #408
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 587
Thanked: 647 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
I agree with you totally, by the way can you tell me which font is the official font of the RTO. I tried looking at some official documents but couldnt find a official RTO font. I think they should come out with their own special font. I can help them with it

Please go through the following links. May be these can resolve all your queries on the font or size to be used on the number plates in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ence_plate.pdf
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...late-font.html (Licence Plate Font)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ation_mark.pdf


This is the future of Licence Plate or Number Plate in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tes-india.html

As of now the deadline to implement High Security Number Plates, has been extended several times. But this is due to be implemented since quite a long time so be prepared.

PS: If a person is unable to follow all the guidelines on the size of the alphabets on the licence plate then go for standard fonts otherwise expect un-necessary harrassment by the Traffic Police.


Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:18   #409
BHPian
 
Skyline GT-R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dubai
Posts: 594
Thanked: 198 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Just applied mind & found out that Figo Owners can go for No:s like

KL ** AF190
KL ** FI90

KA * CF190
Skyline GT-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 16:51   #410
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Any government/official link? Tried here MORTH but couldnt find anything. I dont know if thats the official government website. I'll really appreciate if you can find me a official government road transport website which mentions license plate fonts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Please go through the following links. May be these can resolve all your queries on the font or size to be used on the number plates in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ence_plate.pdf
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...late-font.html (Licence Plate Font)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...ation_mark.pdf


This is the future of Licence Plate or Number Plate in India:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tes-india.html

As of now the deadline to implement High Security Number Plates, has been extended several times. But this is due to be implemented since quite a long time so be prepared.

PS: If a person is unable to follow all the guidelines on the size of the alphabets on the licence plate then go for standard fonts otherwise expect un-necessary harrassment by the Traffic Police.


Cheers!
Irish
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 17:53   #411
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 587
Thanked: 647 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Any government/official link? Tried here MORTH but couldnt find anything. I dont know if thats the official government website. I'll really appreciate if you can find me a official government road transport website which mentions license plate fonts.

The .pdf file links have been taken from the rulebooks published by the Govenment. Here is the link for the .pdf file (Cmvr1989.pdf) from the STA of Tamilnadu state:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf

Please go page 38 onwards to see the same pages as mentioned earlier:
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community


Please read subsection 6 of section 41:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Mvact1988.pdf


Dimensions on the alphabets and numbers described on Punjab Government's website (Please check at the bottom of the page):
Registration - Department of Transport, Punjab Government


Traffic Police - Mumbai - Please check the penalty for Improper Number Plates:
Mumbai Traffic Police


Maharashtra Police website (Please find the word - Improper):
Welcome to MPD, INDIA !!!

Please read Page 16 here:
Traffic Rules For All including You


Quote:
Police launch drive against `faulty' number plates

The city police have asked motorists in the city to ensure that the number plates on their vehicles are displayed as stipulated in the law.
The current drive comes in the light of the difficulty in tracing vehicles involved in criminal activities. A meeting of traffic police officers convened by City Police Commissioner Manoj Abraham recently discussed the issue and decided to enforce the specifications of number plates as specified in Sections 50 and 51 of the Central Motor Vehicle Act, 1989.
"The Union Government has given clear instructions to enforce the law, as a lot many cases where vehicles, mostly two-wheelers, involved in crime could not be traced because of illegible number plates," said Mr. Abraham.
The drive will begin on Sunday.
"Motorists violating the directive would be given a warning for a couple of days; after that fine will be imposed," he said.
The law stipulates that numbers and registration mark (alphabets indicating the State in which the vehicle is registered) should be written legibly in reflecting colours on a clear surface and the letters should not have a slant of more than 30 degrees.
All vehicles other than motorcycles and invalid carriages should have registration numbers of the size 9 cm x 2 cm and with spacing of 1.5 cm. The registration marks should of size 6.5 cm x 1.5 cm and with spacing of 1.5 cm.
For motorcycles and invalid carriages, the specifications are numbers having a size of 6 cm x 1 cm with spacing of 1 cm and registration mark of the size 4.5 cm x 1 cm with 1 cm spacing.
The Regional Transport Office has already launched a drive against number plates not conforming to the rules. "We remove wrongly displayed number plates on the spot during checks and give the drivers a notice for five days to correct them, failing which the registration of the vehicle is cancelled," said M.N. Prabhakaran, Regional Transport Officer.
A specimen of the correct size and font to be used in number plates is displayed at the RTO. Mr. Prabhakaran said the tendency for fancy fonts and displays are more prevalent among non-transport vehicles. For, the transport vehicles have to return to the RTO for the annual checking for permit.

Source: The Hindu : Kerala / Kochi News : Police launch drive against `faulty' number plates



High Security Number plates in India:
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...5850551986.pdf
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India
New High Security Registration Plates????.....Is it true - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring


Hope that I am able to clairfy your doubts now.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 19:02   #412
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Wow so much info, thanks for your effort man I appreciate it. But I still couldnt find the font type in any link. For example Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Per these rules one can still use any font as long as the spacing is correct. I'll go to our RTO on Monday and see if they have specified any font or pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
The .pdf file links have been taken from the rulebooks published by the Govenment. Here is the link for the .pdf file (Cmvr1989.pdf) from the STA of Tamilnadu state:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Cmvr1989.pdf

Please go page 38 onwards to see the same pages as mentioned earlier:
Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community


Please read subsection 6 of section 41:
http://www.tn.gov.in/sta/Mvact1988.pdf


Dimensions on the alphabets and numbers described on Punjab Government's website (Please check at the bottom of the page):
Registration - Department of Transport, Punjab Government


Traffic Police - Mumbai - Please check the penalty for Improper Number Plates:
Mumbai Traffic Police


Maharashtra Police website (Please find the word - Improper):
Welcome to MPD, INDIA !!!

Please read Page 16 here:
Traffic Rules For All including You





Source: The Hindu : Kerala / Kochi News : Police launch drive against `faulty' number plates



High Security Number plates in India:
http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/su...5850551986.pdf
Ministry of Road Transport & Highways, Government of India
New High Security Registration Plates????.....Is it true - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring


Hope that I am able to clairfy your doubts now.

Cheers!
Irish
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:05   #413
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 587
Thanked: 647 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
Wow so much info, thanks for your effort man I appreciate it. But I still couldnt find the font type in any link. For example Arial, Times New Roman, etc. Per these rules one can still use any font as long as the spacing is correct. I'll go to our RTO on Monday and see if they have specified any font or pattern.
These are all Government departments and that too in India, so we don't have any specific fonts here (like Arial etc.). The alphabets should be capital, readable and the thickness + spacing to be given as per the rules. For example, the huge size of registration numbers on MH buses in the past.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 23:57   #414
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

That sounds good, if we go per the law at least 50% of the examples in my earlier post are legal. Capital, readable, thickness and spacing can all be per the law and it can still look fancy. For example 8055 in digital font all capital, readable, right thickness and spacing and it will look like BOSS. But one can still read 8055 and BOSS. Wow infact when you look at 8055 without the digital font it still looks BOSS, doesnt it


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
These are all Government departments and that too in India, so we don't have any specific fonts here (like Arial etc.). The alphabets should be capital, readable and the thickness + spacing to be given as per the rules. For example, the huge size of registration numbers on MH buses in the past.

Cheers!
Irish
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 00:47   #415
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: .
Posts: 469
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I wouldnt mind paying if I have the money...

The Number that waiting to get my hands in Mumbai are..
Sereis IM no 8055....It can go something Like MH-XX-IM BOSS..I would pay anything for it..only If I had a huge black Suv..and loads of money to spend..

Guys if anyone reading get your hands on this number ever..Please ....gift it to me..HAHA!!!

Seen an Toyota Innova with the same No (8055) in chennai.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:43   #416
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: India
Posts: 587
Thanked: 647 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
That sounds good, if we go per the law at least 50% of the examples in my earlier post are legal. Capital, readable, thickness and spacing can all be per the law and it can still look fancy. For example 8055 in digital font all capital, readable, right thickness and spacing and it will look like BOSS. But one can still read 8055 and BOSS. Wow infact when you look at 8055 without the digital font it still looks BOSS, doesnt it
BOSS,

Using digital font is ILLEGAL on the vehicle number plates. It seems the links pasted in previous replies were not useful?

Please refer to the Delhi Traffic Police or JCP (Traffic Police - Delhi) pages on Facebook. They are sending hundreds of challans per week, to such offences uploaded via photographs on their respective pages.

Now if somebody still uses such fonts is upto him/her, afterall he/she will have to waste his/her precious time with Police and then paying up the fine. Also if the rules in a specific city/state is not strictly applied, doesn't mean that one has got the liberty to break rules.

Hope that I am able to clarify!

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 12:48   #417
BHPian
 
sreejinair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Aurangabad
Posts: 165
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Those links were useful, just couldnt find any font specified only thickness, space, capital and readable. I'll be going to our RTO tomorrow and will look for font or anything else similar specified somewhere. Thanks for your efforts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
BOSS,

Using digital font is ILLEGAL on the vehicle number plates. It seems the links pasted in previous replies were not useful?

Please refer to the Delhi Traffic Police or JCP (Traffic Police - Delhi) pages on Facebook. They are sending hundreds of challans per week, to such offences uploaded via photographs on their respective pages.

Now if somebody still uses such fonts is upto him/her, afterall he/she will have to waste his/her precious time with Police and then paying up the fine. Also if the rules in a specific city/state is not strictly applied, doesn't mean that one has got the liberty to break rules.

Hope that I am able to clarify!

Cheers!
Irish
sreejinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 22:32   #418
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 746
Thanked: 198 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

My friend's Scorpio Vlx MHawk has AP .. AK 47

It is all well that the sections of Motor Vehicle Act and other rules are quoted by police/RTA while challaning the public, why wouldnt the RTA charge a nominal amount form the customer at the time of registering a vehicle / issuing a driving licence and issue a copy of all the relevant Acts, rules and regulations that are to be followed?

Last edited by simplyself : 3rd July 2011 at 22:35.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 00:03   #419
BHPian
 
ganesc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madurai
Posts: 236
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Having a fancy number do matter @least down south.

2909 - Amby - Sold
1512 - Amby - Sold

Above 2 aren't great, but when we have similar cars at home, we just name the cars by their number :P

5555 - Amby - Sold
9999 - Sumo - Sold
444 - CBZ Xtreme - Sold
4849 - Bike still at home - Dealer paid 1.5k to RTO for this to get me.
3236 - Scooty
Forgot Pep+ number, Some fancy number similar to the above.

Heard longtime back that Numbers like 1 digits, same digits and 8's, 0008 have been taken by govt. for their vehicles.

Also, number reservations are high by politicians as usual.
ganesc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 10:49   #420
BHPian
 
ByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 432
Thanked: 219 Times
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

I started reading this thread like a story book actually. What I actually expected to see were articles on how RTO officials are generally eating money under the table to allot fancy numbers, politicians doing the same thing, etc. But what did I see instead? T-bhp'ians proudly posting how they bribe officials in the RTO to get these special numbers, one BHP-ian even used CLOUT to get these special numbers.

I'm just a bit confused here. We do slap stickers on our cars, saying "I DRIVE SAFE" and "WEAR A SEATBELT", heck we even accept the rules and regulations of the almighty team-bhp.com to follow road rules and not drink and drive etc. Why are we encouraging paying RTO officials for special numbers? Again, when the RTO themselves are corrupt, why are we encouraging them to continue to be so?

Sure they're allowed to officially auction numbers, but 'knowing someone' or 'having contacts' to weasel out a number reeks of underhandedness to me. And then again, deceiving traffic police and the people around by using trickery in the font type to make the numbers look like something else? Are we actually proud of breaking the law? We seem to be patting each other on the back and saying "hey, that's a pretty neat trick" and "wow, you really made the font look cool in this one".

Aren't we the same folks who cringe when a headlight is smoked and it reduces visibility on the road? I for one, do not think this thread is morally correct, nor is it saying the right things about team-bhp.com. Just open this thread from page 1 and look at the posts. Please stop encouraging team bhpians from breaking the law!
ByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VIP numbers, Car stickers and other Power Projectors jimmy_iaf Street Experiences 19 29th June 2015 23:24
VIP Car Parking at New Delhi railway station - Rs40 per hour Bubby Street Experiences 22 22nd June 2015 22:39
Transfering Old VIP Number to New Car Epic The Indian Car Scene 22 8th June 2015 23:07
Interior & Exterior Detailing: VIP car care (Chennai) Raja_babu Chennai 0 30th December 2013 22:58
Crazy Insane VIP Car in Japan deepakchiniwal Shifting gears 1 16th April 2010 10:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks