Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th April 2013, 19:54   #526
BHPian

Default Re: Cost for choosing registration number in Bangalore?

I have paid 10K for my Electra 350 for the number 5533. All of my vehicles are of with the same number 5533

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamath View Post
Congrats on your purchase!

4K/- is a good price to pay (I paid up 6K/-, nearly 5 years ago). But ensure that an entry/acknowledgement of the same is made in your RC book, so you know the money has been deposited with the RTO. Are only plastic cards being issued now? No idea if that is the case.
double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 21:51   #527
BHPian

I too had paid 10K for my bike (for number 2248) in 2010.

When I checked for car on same number, they asked about 30k. I did not go for it.
500ContyCruiser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 22:10   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhieagle View Post
Hi All,
I am getting delivery of my new vehicle on Saturday. Today, while discussing with the dealer, I asked if it is possible to get a registration number with some specifics- I want a 9 or 1 in the number. The dealer suggested that I can opt for a number ending in 1 or 9. This will cost 4K at the RTO.
Now, I can't find any information on rto.kar.nic.in about either this option or the charges for it. Can anyone help with any information in this regard? Couldn't find much relevant (current) information in previous posts as well.
FYI, the deler will send it for registration tomorrow.

Thanks
Abhi
Here in gurgaon,i paid 8k for the number 6868 in 2010 for my i20.

My friend recently got the number 3188 free of cost. All he did, visited the RTO himself rather than relying on the dealer. They have a book with the list of numbers, the premium ones are marked and rest are available.You can choose any number of your choice from the available non premium. Getting a 1 or 9 is a cakewalk. I would suggest if you can visit the rto yourself.
RTO's are generally flexible enough in giving non premium numbers. I have seen the same in Delhi as well.

For bangalore i can't confirm though.

Also ask the dealer if he would giving the 4k RTO receipt.
k2max6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 22:41   #529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhieagle View Post
Hi All,
I am getting delivery of my new vehicle on Saturday. Today, while discussing with the dealer, I asked if it is possible to get a registration number with some specifics- I want a 9 or 1 in the number. The dealer suggested that I can opt for a number ending in 1 or 9. This will cost 4K at the RTO.
Now, I can't find any information on rto.kar.nic.in about either this option or the charges for it. Can anyone help with any information in this regard? Couldn't find much relevant (current) information in previous posts as well.
FYI, the deler will send it for registration tomorrow.

Thanks
Abhi
Starting from year 2010, RTO KA has three number allocation schemes (unless the rules have changed off late):

http://rto.kar.nic.in/fancy-regnocss.html

1. No fee, you get the default next number. No preference.
2. 20,000: you get a preferred number in the current series
3. 75,000: you get a preferred number in the advanced series

You get a receipt for the 20,000/75,000 amount you pay. I don't know how they classify the numbers into these special categories.

If you are paying any other amount like 4k, 6k 10K, it is basically for a number that is not classified in the 20K, 75K category above and without any receipt (err... bribe). The approx rates for such a favour might be something like:

3-4K - Number ending with X. This should be even cheaper but these days no one wants to do anything for 1000 rupees anymore
6K - Number with XX (two repeating digits)
10K - for more fancier numbers?

Last edited by androdev : 18th April 2013 at 22:44.
androdev is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:22   #530
BHPian

As rightly mentioned by androdev, 20k is to be paid for registering for the required number. Anything less quoted by the dealer is purely bribe. I really don't understand why the government set the base fee as 20k. It is very steep and the whole process is not at all transparent.

BTW, compared to this, Kerala RTO is very transparent. Any number can be requested for registration by paying fixed amount starting from 2k (based on the 'fanciness') and the details (number and name of the applicant) will be published in the RTO website. If two or more applicants opt for the same number, there would be a bidding process. Most of the time the required number can be legally acquired for 3k.

https://smartweb.keralamvd.gov.in/km.../fancybook.php

Last edited by bejoy : 18th April 2013 at 23:24.
bejoy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2013, 23:33   #531
Senior - BHPian

As stated by @androdev, the amount the dealer is asking you to pay is an "unofficial" payment.

When I bought my car in 2010, I asked if I could get a number divisible by 3. I spoke to the RTO agent attached to the dealer, and he said that he could easily do it, but made it clear that I need to pay 5K to him in cash. A majority of the amount goes to the RTO employee(s), a small cut will be taken by the agent.
My wife convinced me to drop the idea.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 10:23   #532
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: VIP Car numbers

Hello,

VIP Car Registration number's to cost more from Wednesday - source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20021903.cms

The above article highlights some little known facts, e.g.:

- Out of series no. 1 will be available for Rs. 12 lacs (current price were Rs. 3 lacs).
- If more than one person demands the same number, RTO's shall aution it to et even higher price.
- The Car registration number AK - 47 is sold for approx Rs. 3 - 5 lacs in Punjab
- Official price of number 786 is hiked from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1.5 lacs in Mumbai.

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 13th May 2013 at 10:25.
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 10:51   #533
Distinguished - BHPian

We did not pay anything extra for a VIP registration! Our old car, bought used by a lady Minister (ex) had a great Registration- 101. Also, something ending with 1 like 101, 501, 1001, 5001 etc is considered a good omen according to people, hence they give cash presents as such.

We paid only for the car and not anything extra for the VIP number it was bearing.

Thanks,
Saket
saket77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 14:59   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello,

VIP Car Registration number's to cost more from Wednesday - source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20021903.cms

The above article highlights some little known facts, e.g.:

- Out of series no. 1 will be available for Rs. 12 lacs (current price were Rs. 3 lacs).
- If more than one person demands the same number, RTO's shall aution it to et even higher price.
- The Car registration number AK - 47 is sold for approx Rs. 3 - 5 lacs in Punjab
- Official price of number 786 is hiked from Rs. 50,000 to Rs. 1.5 lacs in Mumbai.

Thanks,
This price hike is quite large! Just hope the bribe stops and it all goes official. At the moment the bribe amount is almost as much as the receipt amount.

The least they should do is allow an easy and smooth transfer of these numbers to your next car. There have been talks of this but not many have been able to facilitate this. If we are paying such large sums for a number it should be valid for life or at least transferable on your next few purchases.

Also, why do they even bother mentioning the in series prices for single digits? What are the odds that you register your car on the day a new series has been started?! It's almost always that you land up paying out of series fee for a single digit number.

The easiest place to get a good number in the new MH-48(Virar RTO) at the moment. The series are all single alphabets yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We did not pay anything extra for a VIP registration! Our old car, bought used by a lady Minister (ex) had a great Registration- 101. Also, something ending with 1 like 101, 501, 1001, 5001 etc is considered a good omen according to people, hence they give cash presents as such.

We paid only for the car and not anything extra for the VIP number it was bearing.

Thanks,
Saket
Jharkhand RTO does charge for VIP numbers, however it is much cheaper than the prices in Maharashtra. A four digit number in JH costs 11k, 3 digit costs 25k and single digit is 50k. Depending on your RTO agent you can get away without paying a bribe and just pay official receipt amount.

Last edited by Sahil : 13th May 2013 at 15:07.
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 11:41   #535
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

After the recent hike in VIP (choice) number prices, Mumbai RTO had conducted first ever auction for special number 786 alloted for two-wheelers.

There were two bidders & the reserve price was Rs. 20,000 (since the rates are doubled from May 2013). The highest bid was Rs. 31,000 & the number was awarded to the bidder.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20319494.cms

It seems a little strange to me - A person is ready to pay Rs. 31,000 for choice number for a bike whose approximate cost will be Rs. 80,000.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 12:29   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
It seems a little strange to me - A person is ready to pay Rs. 31,000 for choice number for a bike whose approximate cost will be Rs. 80,000.

A farmer in Punjab paid Rs 7 lakhs for Number AK-47 for his Honda Activa

Source
http://zeenews.india.com/news/punjab...ab_836722.html

Edit: Just saw post no. 532 in which you have mentioned "The Car registration number AK - 47 is sold for approx Rs. 3 - 5 lacs in Punjab"

Last edited by driving_smartly : 29th May 2013 at 12:33. Reason: Adding to the post
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 14:49   #537
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Had a 96 model Cielo till a couple of years back with reg no KL5 D 9999. Sold it for a paltry sum due to lack of parking space. Really repent selling it. Praying that it doesn't end up in the scrap yard.
sharoncr_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 17:31   #538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
From the link:
Quote:
The 38-year-old, who owns a Skoda Laura (PB-38 0001), said he would buy a Fortuner and transfer the new number to the four-wheeler from the scooter.
Can one transfer numbers like that?!
babu.sundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 17:36   #539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
From the link:

Can one transfer numbers like that?!
We need to seek advice from experts here, i have zero knowledge about transfer of number from two wheeler to four wheeler.
driving_smartly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2013, 18:17   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
A farmer in Punjab paid Rs 7 lakhs for Number AK-47 for his Honda Activa

Source
http://zeenews.india.com/news/punjab...ab_836722.html

Edit: Just saw post no. 532 in which you have mentioned "The Car registration number AK - 47 is sold for approx Rs. 3 - 5 lacs in Punjab"
Well in the middle east owners of S class and 7er mostly go for number plates that cost almost 120% of the car's cost.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote