Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th January 2014, 18:27   #586
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: VIP Car numbers

A businessman pays Rs. 12 lacs for Car Registration Number - 1.

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/28495181.cms

The fixed price for VIP Number 1 is Rs. 4 lacs if available in current series. But if RTO issues VIP Number 1 from future series, triple price is applicable. In this case since the number is being allotted from a different series State Transport Commissioner's approval is required.

Frankly speaking I would rather buy a high end sedan for Rs. 12 lacs.

Last edited by Jignesh : 7th January 2014 at 18:28. Reason: Info added
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 20:19   #587

For Karnataka following is the fee structure & procedure.

An application on plain paper has to be made before the Regional Transport Officer/Transport Commissioner for allotment of a Fancy Registration Number / Advance Registration Number. After the allotment letter is issued prescribed fee has to be paid and submitted before the concerned Regional Transport Officer.

Fees (to be paid at R.T.O. Counter):

Vehicle Type Running Series Advance Series
2-Wlr 6000 25000
LMV 20000 75000
Other Vehicles 30000 75000
vroom77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2014, 13:09   #588

The list of vanity numbers issued my Madhya Pradesh RTO and their fee :

lone_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 18:10   #589

In Kerala, some fancy numbers command a rate of 5k, 10k, 25k, 50k and 1 lakh. If you have no preference and leave it to the dealer a number is randomly generated by the computer and is free.

In case you prefer any particular number apart from the pre-fixed fancy numbers, a fee of Rs.3000 is levied and the list displayed on their website from Monday to Saturday and allotted to you on the next Monday if no one books it in the same period. If someone else also books it, then it goes for auction in front of the RTO/Joint RTO. This auction is pretty much common in Kerala and happens with some of the fancy numbers too. The Rs. 3000 fee is refundable too if one participates in the auction.

One way to avoid double booking in the system using a loophole is to book the number on Saturday between 12.30pm and 1 pm so that it will be allotted to you on the coming Monday!

Usually I prefer the random system where random numbers are quite useful for passwords until recently where I paid 10k for the number 1001.
microaubin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 09:09   #590
Distinguished - BHPian

Read Hindustan times that fancy numbers have been sold at exorbitantly high prices in Delhi in its first e-auction.
It seems '0001' was sold at 12.5L and '0009' was sold at 8.25L

Quoting from the news item:
NEW DELHI: Delhi’s first e-auction of fancy or VIP registration numbers for cars concluded on Friday with 29 bidders walking away with numbers of their choice after participating in a fierce online auctioning process.

With a base price of ` 5 lakh, ‘0001’ — the number considered as a status symbol and generally found on cars driven by either politicians or big industrialists — was sold for ` 12.5 lakh in the three-day long online auction.

The number was bid by UP-based sugar manufacturing company Dwarikesh Sugar Industries Limited and is likely to be used by company’s managing director Gautam R Morarka.

Another number that generated a lot of interest among bidders was ‘0009’, which was bought by one Karun Arora for ` 8.25 lakh. The number had a base price of ` 3 lakh.

Brys Hotels Private Limited was also bidding for 0009 but let it go after the auctioning cross ` 7 lakh mark. The company later settled for 0007 for ` 5.5 lakh.

“Nine is my husband’s numerological number and seven is our lucky number. We have cars with the digits of the registration number totalling up to seven. We personally didn’t want to go beyond a particular amount and hence decided to focus on 0007,” said Neetu Gaur, director, Brys Hotels Private Limited.
Shahbad-Mohammadpur based civil construction company Swami Contractors managed to get 0006 for ` 3 lakh, its base price.

“Six is my lucky number. I am lucky that I managed to get the single digit six this time,” said Ajit Singh Gaur, company’s managing director, who will use the number on Audi Q5.

Of the 140 numbers up for grabs, the transport department could manage to auction only 29 numbers — including 0777, 0786, 0111, 7777, 8888, 9999 — in its first-ever auctioning of fancy registration numbers. The department managed to earn ` 72.4 lakh from the auctioning. Till last year, the transport department used to allot these numbers to general public on the recommendation of politicians and bureaucrats.

“Only a handful of people participated in the auction this time. We expect better response to our subsequent auctions,” said a senior transport department official. The next round is likely to take place in first week of November.

“For the next few days we will send letters to the successful bidders, receive payments and complete other formalities,” the official added.
Source: http://paper.hindustantimes.com/epaper/viewer.aspx
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 17:21   #591

I bought some fancy numbers for my cars, Started when i bought the Audi. Cheapest on on the Audi and the most expensive on the Innova xD . Audi is 0011, 0009 for both Fortuner and Innova. Got them between 50k and 1.25l
V12Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 18:02   #592

I booked 7111 for my polo today. Now after one week if there are no double bookings, i will get my vehicle registered with this number or else it will be auctioned.
nidhinsarath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 11:12   #593
Senior - BHPian

Question on VIP numbers in Karnataka. The RTO says that you need to pay Rs. 75000 for a number from a future series for cars.

Now, given that all car registration numbers begin with M, N, P or Z, can I buy KA xx ZZ 9999?
KiloAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2015, 13:02   #594

This Chandigarh man is really crazy for VIP numbers. He paid 8 lac for his Activa scooter

Can you pay Rs 8 lakh for a Rs 50,000 scooter? Well, a Chandigarh based businessman Kanwaljit Walia has achieved the same!

Walia, who is into the catering business in the city, made the highest bid for the number CH01BC 0001 for his newly bought Activa scooter.

The trend of buying VIP numbers has increased in the past few years. Especially '0001' is much sought after and people are ready to pay anything between Rs. 70,000 and Rs. 10 lakh for such a number.

Before the record was with a farmer-turned-realtor, NS Shergill, in 2010.

Walia also spent another Rs. 2.6 lakh buying the number CH01BC 0011 for his son's new bike and the number CH01BC 0026 for his third SUV.

The other two SUVs of the family has fancy numbers too. But this is the first they have spent so much for a scooter.

According to Walia, “I have inherited the passion from my father who also had two VIP numbers.”

The licensing authority in the city has earned Rs. 77.71 lakh this year which is slightly low in comparison to last year when they earned a whooping Rs 98.7 following the launch of the CH-01-AX series.
Source: http://www.newsnation.in/article/783...p-numbers.html
mahesh_sn is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2015, 23:14   #595

Originally Posted by mahesh_sn View Post
This Chandigarh man is really crazy for VIP numbers. He paid 8 lac for his Activa scooter

Source: http://www.newsnation.in/article/783...p-numbers.html
Indeed one of my friend's aunt has such a mania to get a special number for her scooter. Finally she made it getting the number TN XX D 1 by paying 50k for an Activa.
Amarkarthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 01:31   #596

I have a swift dzire registered in Noida and the number is 0123. Now, I need to buy another car and will be selling the dzire off. Can I get the number re-registered on the new car if I purchase the same in noida? Are UP numbers transferable between vehicles?
Storme_on_d_way is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 02:11   #597

Even I had this doubt in mind that whether the number plate can be used on another vehicle that we own. Especially after moving to Doha where it works and is quite simple. Talking about numbers here is like enjoying the firecrackers of Diwali.

Though I don't own a big mouth for these vanity numbers, it's apparently a good future investment as long as these rich folks who will fall for them are alive and will get you jaw dropping profits; especially when the license plates themselves are transferable.

This is the reason why the T-Fort stood #1 and the Swift at #2 back home.
roaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 02:15   #598

I would like to inquire on transferring of Old ViP number to my other car. in our garage
my Dad has a Old Ambassador car with Punjab ViP registration which he hasn't used since quite sometime, maybe 30 years or more and had not been renewed on Road tax and stuff.

Now that i wish to get this number, can i transfer it to any other car or only new car?
Plus how should i go about it and where to start as even the RC of the said car is lost.

Appreciate you guidance.

Regards & Cheers,
Hesbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2015, 10:02   #599

At last got my choice of registration number at ARTO, Kashipur in Uttarakhand. After my last three vehicles having regn numbers - AS116969, AS01AD-0003, and AS01-AK-0056, I wanted to get a vehicle number to go aligned with my penta-one mobile. The full rate chart of fancy number in Uttarakhand is attached.
Attached Thumbnails
VIP Car numbers-new-car-number.jpg  

Attached Images
drbahar is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 17:34   #600

Apparently, the fees to choose "any" (Non VIP/Fancy) number in Gurgaon has been increased from 10,000 to 20,000. This does not include the already blocked numbers which have a price tag attached to them and is the cost if you want to "choose" even a normal, non fancy number

Earlier one could choose from the available numbers in the series by paying 10,000 but the cost has been revised only yesterday according to a dealer in Gurgaon
amit_2025 is offline   Reply With Quote