Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st May 2008, 14:24   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Guys,

One observation about AP cars is that many of them ply on the roads without a permanent registration number / board. Even for more than 6 months at a time...

I was of the impression that cars can ply on temp regn for a week max after which they should be properly registered.

Is the rule in AP different ? Someone mentioned you can book a particular number and wait. For how long ? What is the official rule in AP?

cheers!
Hey srini, AFAIK the T/R is valid for a month and you have to get your car registered in that month.
mezereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 14:53   #77
BHPian

The penalty for driving the car more than a month/1000km, is Rs.1000/- my cousin has paid this 3 times in the last 4 months, waiting for a particular no. for his Fabia!
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 16:36   #78
BHPian

These are the numbers we have used on our cars:
HR XX 0046
HR XX C 0046
HR XX D 0082
HR XX 4242
HR XX E 2200

All these are before the "VIP" numbers were paid.
We knew someone who knew someone in RTO. All the above said numbers we got were without spending a penny.

Now, we just transfer the numbers to new cars, if we sell any vehicle.
SumitBahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 18:53   #79

i got a fancy for 1's - but four 1's were too costly, so settled for 5111, my mobile no. lasting with 98***51111

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st May 2008 at 20:30. Reason: Please use proper punctuation and not...dots.
googly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 20:01   #80
BHPian

Yes it is easy to get numbers in haryana::
my number HR XX D 4400

What is the status of vip numbers /fancy numbers in new delhi
ankit.jhamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 20:20   #81

Dear friends
don't call theses numbers VIP. Actually these are chamcha's numbers mostly given to persons links in political parties so that those chamchas can say that they are the real chamcha.

rajeev
rajeevkmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 21:13   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently had my fiat left hand drive transferred from Kottayam to Mumbai and gave strict instruction to my RTOwallah to get whatever number comes, as I refuse to give a single paisa for such results. I got some number which is good enough for me. This leads me to think - by the time this display of moneypower ends, will there still be some normal numbers leftover for normal people to be able to get their cars registered ? think about it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:35   #83
BHPian

We had a VIP no. on our Premier Padmini... The no. was 9999
swapnil.rahate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:08   #84
BHPian

Exclamation can numbers of old cars be transfered to new cars ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post

Now, we just transfer the numbers to new cars, if we sell any vehicle.
When i enquired at the mumbai rto, i was told we cannot transfer number of old vehicle to new vehicle even if i own both the old n the new car
Any pointers here ?
pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:04   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
When i enquired at the mumbai rto, i was told we cannot transfer number of old vehicle to new vehicle even if i own both the old n the new car
Any pointers here ?
In some cities you cannot transfer the numbers to your other vehicles. I am not sure if its applicable to Mumbai.

Around 15 days ago, I read in the papers that Central Govt. has instructed that there will be no number transfers in Chandigarh.

The ruling has been passed by Center, some states have already put it in action some are in process.

I live in Panchkula which is satellite city to Chandigarh and it falls under Haryana.
In Haryana, you can still transfer the numbers, both the cars should be registered to the same person for the transfer process.
SumitBahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 16:44   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
The penalty for driving the car more than a month/1000km, is Rs.1000/- my cousin has paid this 3 times in the last 4 months, waiting for a particular no. for his Fabia!
Your Cousin is driving without a no. from the last 4 months !!!!
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:02   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnacle View Post
Any pointers here ?
I haven't heard of this happening in Bombay ever. It would be a good practice but this would set the VIP number allotment prices through the roof even more.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:28   #88
BHPian

There is a lot of back stage activity even when there is an auction. My friend never paid more than 55K for a number. And all their cars have the following number

Merc- KL7 AP 1
Merc- KL7 AE 1
Civic- KL7 BC 1
Santro KL7 AR 1
Swift KL 7 AX 1

Last edited by artofzen : 23rd May 2008 at 17:29.
artofzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:14   #89
BHPian

Post 55k for 1 is real lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofzen View Post
There is a lot of back stage activity even when there is an auction. My friend never paid more than 55K for a number. And all their cars have the following number

Merc- KL7 AP 1
Merc- KL7 AE 1
Civic- KL7 BC 1
Santro KL7 AR 1
Swift KL 7 AX 1
I should say your friend is either very influential or damn lucky to get 1 for 55k
In Mumbai, the RTO recently revised the rates for VIP numbers
and the most expensive is 1 @ 100k
and once the car series number 1 is gone, they will give you 1 from the 2 wheeler series @ thrice the rate i.e. 300k + big time chai paani

I got my Santro in 2002 and paid 10k officially + 2 k chai paani for MH-02 - XX- 7777
And now when i was buying my innova in april, i was in a big shock as far as the values for these VIP nos go.
Rates have been hiked to 75k for XXXX all digit same number, and 50k for 3 similar digits. And even then there is a big big demand for these numbers.
Needless to say, the Chai Pani rates have been enhanced BIG time

In April, when i went to buy the Innova, i did not get any 4 similar digit like 7777 or 3 digit similar like 777 available. So wanted to settle for jumping numbers like 5050. Even @ 7.5 k those numbers were not available. SO for me the option was to take it from the 2 wheeler series @ thrice the amount. But the biggest boomer was, the Dealer's RTO guys wanted 15 k Chai Pani ( they claim they have to pay so much ).

Finally, 2 visits to thr RTO office and i got the 5050 from 2 wheeler series @ 22.5k + chai pani ( much lower than the dealer's price ).

I would say that going directly to the RTO was an eye opener. None of the guys there wana talk to the car owners directly and send you to an agent. On continous pestering however, you can expect the work to be done @ 1/3rd the agent's fees. SO now can i can splurge that saved amount on ICE for my innova
pinnacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 21:47   #90
BHPian

i want the a number like DL XXXXX 0077

what is the fees for this ??
NOTORIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote