Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th September 2017, 14:47   #1
BHPian

Default Nissan Micra Fashion Edition launched at Rs. 6.09 lakh

Nissan has launched a limited edition of the Micra. The Micra Fashion Edition is priced at Rs. 6.09 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Nissan Micra Fashion Edition launched at Rs. 6.09 lakh-nissan-micra-fashion-edition.jpg

According to Nissan, the new Micra variant is inspired by the Italian fashion brand - United Colors of Benetton. It is available in two colour options - Fashion Black and Fashion Orange. The limited-edition model gets body graphics with Micra decals, black wheel covers with orange inserts and stripes on ORVM housings. The cabin is finished in orange with piano black trim, black seats with orange stitching and headrests with Benetton signature. It also gets floor mats to match the theme of the interior.

The car also comes fitted with a 6.2-inch touchscreen AVN and built-in NissanConnect with 3-year free service package. It comes with safety features like driver airbag, ABS with EBD and brake assist as standard, although it misses out on the passenger airbag.

The Micra Fashion Edition is powered by a 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine which produces 76 BHP @ 6,000 rpm and peak torque of 104 Nm @ 4,400 rpm. The engine is mated to a 5-speed CVT.

Nissan is offering Benetton gift hampers to first 500 customers of the Micra Fashion Edition.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 14:58   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Nissan Micra Fashion Edition launched at Rs. 6.09 lakh

I would assume that the money spent on the PR exercise to launch this would be more than the sales they can expect from this edition

Having said that, they have at least added a touchscreen (if this is not already present), apart from the usual decals that Suzuki is famous for!!
arvind71181 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 15:28   #3
BHPian

Futile attempt. For how long Nissan wants to manage with infinite trims of Micra? If they are serious about Indian market, they will have to disrupt the market through their offerings.

Tata's have done it, FIAT through JEEP is doing it. Heck even Ford brought EcoSport in India along with its global launch.

Nissan will soon become irrelevant to Indian buyers if they don't reinvent themselves !
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 16:08   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Fashion edition - LOL . Manufacturers will do just about anything to sell cars. Nevertheless, I think it'll help to move a handful of cars as the Micra does appeal to women. It gets an automatic which is another favourite with the fairer sex. I like the black wheels, 3 year service package (good luck with the horrible dealers though) and touchscreen head-unit.

Good to see Dia Mirza. She looks beautiful, as always.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 18:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

If you don't want to pick up the Grand i10 AT for some reason, Micra CVT is the one to go for. Brio AT is expensive for what you get and Ignis AT is smaller is size when compared to the rest.

But I guess service is still an issue - a friend who picked up the Micra CVT a couple of weeks back was complaining about the dealer's terrible pre/post sales experience.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 18:10   #6
BHPian

Do they still make cars in India?

While on a test drive spree for a friend, we went to take a look at the latest Micra and on the longer stretch, the Terrano (if it even appeals). The huge Nissan showroom in our city had only one car; the Redigo for the test drive and as a display car. No other car! One Base Terrano was present in the parking for delivery, they let us sit in it, and it was truly hard to digest that a car with those interiors and finish can cost about 18 lacs on road. Even a Scorpio S10 has far more character if the finish and interiors are at par. No Micra even for test drive or display vehicle or anything. Not even the Go, Go+, Sunny.

The sales guy wasn't interested in selling anything as well. Later we realised probably it wasn't his fault. There must be things available with the Showroom again. Didn't care much to note down our numbers, despite us pushing to call once the new Micra reaches the showroom (only showroom so far which didn't even care to take number), didn't tell anything near coming back again in a week or two to check the newer inventory. There was little the sales guy could probably do.

I have a feeling if anyone will follow Chevy in their footsteps, its Nissan. Don't be fooled by upcoming Kicks, even Chevy announced Essentia for India.
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 19:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Places like Belgium get the new generation all new Micra before India does. What kind of brains are involved in decision making at these companies really? For how long is this same old generation car going to get sold here? Nissan is being slower than Maruti & Tata in phasing out generations now!!! Thats as low as possible really.

Fashion edition? Of all possible derivations they could have tried with UCB, they decided "Fashion Edition" really? What next? School edition?
  1. Yellow with brown stripes
  2. khaki coloured wheel caps
  3. And yes a LOUD HORN
  4. Squeaking brakes

Maybe it will have more sales than a "Fashion edition" still!

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th September 2017 at 19:15.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 19:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nevertheless, I think it'll help to move a handful of cars as the Micra does appeal to women. It gets an automatic which is another favourite with the fairer sex. I like the black wheels, 3 year service package (good luck with the horrible dealers though) and touchscreen head-unit.
It really isn't a bad car though compared to some of the similarly sized models around, I know you love your Sunny as well. Their quality and haptics are surely a notch above Maruti and even some Hondas like Amaze or Brio.

Nissan surely screwed up big time in not developing a friendly, easy to access spare-parts and service structure in the country.. 90% of the people who shy away from a Nissan do so due to poor service and spares reputation. Carlos Ghosn might be praised by most people around the world but surely he isn't all that he's made out to be if he ignores a potential market like India where even VW is trying hard.

As a product its perplexing to me why Nissan just about scrapes together a couple of 100 Micras per month while its a much, MUCH better product than say the Ignis or Brio. There is practical usable sitting space with good head and knee room with reasonable fit and finish.

Look wise I've always liked if not loved the Micra, the first-gen was Mini-esque and this one is kind of nice too, I agree that women take to Micras almost like instinct but it is a proper "family/all-rounder" car as well.

Hope they can manage to push a few numbers in this way.. though the United Colors of Benetton collab seems kind-of lame. What next a Nissan edition of UCB pants?
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 19:45   #9
BHPian

I recently read that Nissan-Renault have toppled VW group as the largest car manufacturer.
So they are definitely doing well elsewhere. It's just the poor brand perception that's making them lose in India.
Is the New X-trail available?

Last edited by wildsdi5530 : 13th September 2017 at 19:45. Reason: Spelling mistake
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2017, 20:35   #10
BHPian

Fashion edition ? LOL

Cheesiest label I have heard for a special edition.

As a car, I like the micra very much. But can't digest the name they gave for this limited edition.

Will the car have a badge "fashion" on it too??
Asish_VK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 09:50   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If you don't want to pick up the Grand i10 AT for some reason, Micra CVT is the one to go for. Brio AT is expensive for what you get and Ignis AT is smaller is size when compared to the rest.
The Micra has a lame engine (especially by current standards) and its CVT is turtle-slow. Only good thing is the smoothness, but that's it. A Grand i10 AT blows the Micra CVT out of the water on almost every parameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
I have a feeling if anyone will follow Chevy in their footsteps, its Nissan.
Frankly, the group should just retire Nissan. It's anyway a damaged name now, and Renault as well as Datsun are outselling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
It really isn't a bad car though compared to some of the similarly sized models around, I know you love your Sunny as well.
Love the car, hate the company's treatment of its customers. If I wasn't a petrol-head, it would be very difficult to maintain my Sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
I recently read that Nissan-Renault have toppled VW group as the largest car manufacturer.
Yeah, they just overtook VW & Toyota - related link. Mitsubishi also added some volumes to the group.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 10:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Another lame effort by a lame group!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Frankly, the group should just retire Nissan. It's anyway a damaged name now, and Renault as well as Datsun are outselling it.
For a group that's mostly a one model / one car wonder at any given time, I can't understand why they are spreading efforts across three different brands with three different dealerships etc - that too when a lot of the overlapping products are pure re-badging.

Hyundai after all these years of success is now bringing Kia to leverage further off its existing goodwill. Even there I'm told they will compete head on at virtually arm's length basis. Maruti after years of dominance only recently created the Nexa format. These are the two market leaders by some distance.

Focus on one brand - I guess Renault - and ditch Datsun & Nissan - you at least have Kwid (currently successful) and Duster (once successful and with further potential should they bring all new version).

Convert all other dealerships into Renault so one brand's customers have a wider footprint of dealer coverage. For a 3 brand group, they don't have a single dealership for any brand in ALL of south Mumbai. Even there, Nissan had the fiasco of constantly changing / cancelling dealerships. At one point when I owned the Sunny, I was struggling to keep track of where to send it for service - dealers seemed to be falling and popping up like 9 pins.

Focus all marketing costs and time effort into that one brand.

Doesn't require an advanced marketing degree surely to get that.

I use my cars long unless they've outlived their basic purpose. The '09 Civic got sold in 2017. The 09 City is still doing duty. Yet, when I bought my BMW in 2015, it was the 2012 Sunny - the newest car in the stable that was sold. Why - I was just fed up of dealing with Nissan. Otherwise it made perfect sense to sell the City at that time and retain the Sunny as the chauffeur driven workhorse.
Axe77 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 12:54   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Name:  Similar.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  68.2 KB

Do both companies (Tata & Nissan) have the same alloy designer?

Both alloys have an almost similar contrast color pattern.

Last edited by GTO : 15th September 2017 at 11:03. Reason: Language
tushar_b is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 14th September 2017, 13:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

When they entered India, they were quite a confused lot. They started with Teana, and the thinking was to establish a premium brand image. Then they brought in the Micra, and it garnered the right publicity, with a decent engine (at that time), good looks and it being the first hatch to provide the start/stop button functionality. Had the AT too to woo the customers.
But somewhere down the line, the management went beserk and confused, not knowing which brand to showcase as premium, Renault or Nissan.
Nissan Micra --> Renault Pulse (premium model)
Renault Duster --> Nissan Terrano (premium model)
Nissan Sunny --> Renault Scala (premium model)

I hope that they are just filling time till they bring in their India suitable global line up. They are a good company with good portfolio, and it will be nice to have them as an option. But if this is not on cards, they might as well shut shop and bid Adieu, ciao.

PS: I also hope that they clear their confusion on which brand they would want to portray as premium.
vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2017, 15:17   #15
BHPian

The expression on the face of the guy on the right of the car says it all
neeravnaik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote