Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th September 2017, 13:13   #1
BHPian

Default Rumour: R.I.P. Hyundai Santa Fe

Thanks to Ahad Hamza for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Rumour: R.I.P. Hyundai Santa Fe-hyundaisantafe01.jpg

Hyundai seems to have discontinued the Santa Fe in India. The 7-seater SUV has been pulled down from Hyundai India's official website. A dealer has acknowledged the same, albeit tentatively. Another dealer added that the car will be available only on a made-to-order basis.

Sales of the Santa Fe had tanked in the past couple of months. Only 14 units were sold in July compared to just 1 unit in August 2017. Over the last 6 months, Hyundai sold just 67 units of the flagship SUV. In comparison, Toyota dispatched 2,116 units of the Fortuner while Ford sold 1,163 units of the Endeavour in the month of August alone.

The third generation Santa Fe was launched during the 2014 Auto Expo and was updated a year later. It was offered in three variants - 2WD, 2WD AT and 4WD AT with prices starting at Rs. 27.87 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

The Santa Fe came with a 2.2-litre, CRDi diesel engine with an e-variable geometry turbocharger which produced 194 BHP @ 3,800 rpm and 421 Nm of peak torque @ 1,800 - 2,500 rpm. The 2WD variant was available with the option of a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic transmission while the 4WD model was only offered with a 6-speed automatic gearbox.
TusharK is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 13:19   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: R.I.P. Hyundai Santa Fe

Or they could lower the price for the Santa Fe and they would get numbers. Its a good car just priced high.
kartavya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 13:23   #3
BHPian

It was difficult for Creta, Tucson and SantaFe to survive simultaneously in India though I am talking about different segments altogether.

All three of them offer similar kind of softroader DNA. Different underpinning / platform is something which is not visible.

Creta offers 70% of SantaFe at a fraction of its price while Tucson offers 90% of it. Even if I consider a single segment here, Tucson looks to be VFM against SantaFe when parked next to each other in the same showroom.

Even a sales executive will find it difficult as why a customer should buy SantaFe when 7 seats and few additional features are the only differentiating factors !

I am sure that even ventilated seats will make way in Creta as Verna has them now !

Good it has been removed from shelves.

Last edited by i74js : 15th September 2017 at 13:47.
i74js is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 13:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I am a supporter of body on frame SUV's (which the Santa Fe isnt) but still i had a soft spot for this soft roader, sad to see it being discontinued. May be Tucson would have cannibalised its sales too.

IMO the Santa Fe wouldn't have seen this day if Hyundai would have launched the LWB version here;

Rumour: R.I.P. Hyundai Santa Fe-maxresdefault.jpg
karan561 is offline   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 13:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

My neighbor has an immaculate 2013 top end specimen and he will have a nervous breakdown when he hears this. Even though he keeps his cars very very well, the resale is pathetic as per his enquiries.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:10   #6
BHPian

The SantaFe was a good car.
It is sad to hear about it's demise. (In India).

Clearly, what killed it was it's price!
It costed slightly more than the mighty Fortuner, but the soft roader & compact image did not go down well with buyers.

In this segment, size & presence matters the most. The reason why the Endeavor is able to compete with the Fortuner, is it's imposing size and presence.
abhishek46 is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:11   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
IMO the Santa Fe wouldn't have seen this day if Hyundai would have launched the LWB version here;
True. That was one of my first reactions when Santa Fe was launched, especially at the price point it was launched at!

A comfortable 7 seater would have made better sense at that price - as a softer and more road biased option to the Fortuner and Endeavor, rather than a value offering to the Germans - a market which has become competitive now with the launch of the Tiguan.

Was also shocked to note recently that the base model of the SantaFe is rather barebones for the price as well - with only the top model offering most of the goodies including safety kit.

Tucson will soon follow the elder sibling's footsteps - if they don't do the necessary corrections soon. It has become sandwiched between the Compass and Tiguan - on either ends of the price range.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 15th September 2017 at 14:13.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:16   #8
Senior - BHPian

A good powerful package (although smaller in India than it should have been really). But this is no surprise at all. Already it had ultra low sales. Hardly any new are seen on roads in my part of the world.

With the new Fortuner, Endaevour really turning up the heat with their menacing street presence, there was very little chance that SantaFe could keep up in the fight. The others in its price bracket or even a bit lower are simply too brute & aggressive in their manner. Indians like that aspect in a large vehicle. Nobody wants a sober car that doesn't scare anybody by its looks.

I don't think Hyundai should take another shot at this segment in India again for near future. Tucson is more or less their ceiling.
Reinhard is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:36   #9

Santa Fe could have done well if the Hyundai management hadn't been so greedy. At the current price pitted against Fortuner and Endeavour, it was a lost battle from day one.
The other factor, as one of my friends has put it, magnify Creta and you will get Tucson, magnify Tucson and you will get the Santa Fe; there's hardly anything outwardly that differentiates one from the other. Now Hyundai lovers, don't do this to me for putting in those words.
To add to that with Tucson doing such low three digit numbers per month, it might not last too long either.
skchettry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Tucson is more or less their ceiling.
And, I'm yet to see a single Tucson in my town. And as for Santa Fe, it appeared doomed right from the start, at that price. Fortuner/Endeavour have the road presence required of an SUV in India.

Last month I drove a Santa Fe, V6 gasoline ( I think 3.5 L) in Denver, and it was completely underwhelming. My cousin's 2005 3.0 V6 Accord back home accelerates much faster. In contrast, I also drove a Ford F150 and it was flying. When I say flying, not just for a pick-up but for a car, too. It had cylinder shut-down system in traffic to increase mpg. As for Santa Fe, I think Hyundai's greed killed Santa Fe in India and they are planning to do that to Tucson, too. And with, both Tucson and Santa Fe out of the way, they can raise Creta prices to 30 lakhs.
pgsagar is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:42   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i74js View Post
It was difficult for Creta, Tucson and SantaFe to survive simultaneously in India though I am talking about different segments altogether.
Don't think that was the reason for it's failure. Among the 3, SantaFe was launched first but they were at a premium. You have to consider that they were directly competing against Toyota and Ford, former which was and is the current segment leader and well established players. This followed Creta which is still enjoying immense success since launch but without any rivals until Scross Came. The pricing blunder by MSIL meant that Creta was going to be untouched. This gave overconfidence to Hyundai when they launched Tucson in a huge premium, again in a segment without any competitors thinking they can replicate Creta success. Since Compass launch, it can be said with confirmation now that Tucson is a flop if not a disaster, a rare one for them since the Getz days. To be fair to them, Getz was a good car but India was and still is mesmerized by SWIFT!

Hyundai came in as a alternate for MSIL and slowly they added gloss and features into their cars and started charging premium. So far so good. People were lapping it up but when you enter 20L+ segment, you need to change your strategies and see whom you are competing against. That became the undoing of SantaFe.
RaghuVis is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:45   #12
BHPian

So if my guess proves correct. It's time Hyundai will bring in the AWD Tucson.

Shocked, that they have discontinued the Santa Fe. Hyundai still struggles to sell their cars upwards of 20 lakhs. Time for them to introspect and stop being greedy with their pricing.
Arjun Reddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 14:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

So the Santa Fe joins Hyundai's list of non performers:

1. Sonata/Embera.
2. Elantra.
3. Tucson.
4. Terracan.

The writing on the wall is clear, the consumer isn't kicked up by the idea of a premium Hyundai yet.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 15:01   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Smart move, its better to cut losses especially at dealer level where working capital is at a premium. With ~20 units monthly sales, its not worth maintaining the cost elements likle inventory, demo vehicles, sales training infrastructure, showroom space, etc.

From a buyer perspective, they are in a mess. They bought a premium car which is average at best in all departments, thus limiting any potential for this car to be a vintage / cult car. All they will enjoy is poor resale and higher maintain costs.

Lets see how this one spans out. Santa Fe owners request you to please share the service experience going forward. Would be a good way to study "End-of-life" strategy of Hyundai.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2017, 15:14   #15
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I really like this Vehicle. Spacious, powerful and comfortable. In-fact I was toying with the idea of letting go of my 2012 Innova and pick a used 2015 Santa Fe. I might still go ahead. This Soft roader has pretty much everything I desire in an Urban SUV. I guess cutting its price was not really a viable solution.

@2000rpm- I have a 2009 model Sonata Transform. And the agency has been more than apt to arrange/source any part replacement that I might need.

Last edited by bigron : 15th September 2017 at 15:30.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote