Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 23rd November 2006, 21:36   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Boom, supercharging 1.6 or 1.8?..
Supercharged 1.8 producing 150 horses is no big deal, so it should be the 1.6 I guess.

But why supercharge? Typically american, I guess.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:43   #17
elf
BANNED

@aza: OK. Your wish is my command...

@Rtech: Yep, was officially on the GM stall, as far as I know. Shall check & revert tomorrow. Thought you & 2L8 were going to turn up today...?
elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 21:55   #18
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
can you verify that this is indeed GM India that is thinking about it rather than just an over-enthu dealer that may offer it.
I had seen this Black SRV being worked upon at Pashankar auto some 2/3 weeks back. The work is done by certain Rajeen Ranadive from Pune. The entire thing has been done up at Pashankar auto, but the project was approved and backed by GM.

I had a chat with this Mr. Ranadive - but he did not look interested in divulging any details and kept on saying that its just a company project and its purpose is to show the capabilities of the car ( SRV ).
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 22:03   #19
BANNED

Just got back from the show. The guy there says the kit will actually cost 1.75 lakhs and will void the warranty. I asked him why they are voiding the warranty when the kit is being offered and installed by the company itself and he had no answer.

The supercharger kit is being offered for the SRV, Optra 1.6 and Aveo 1.6.

Apparently the Optra 1.8 has been discontinued as they couldn't source the engines.

They are still taking public feedback before they decide to go ahead and offer the kit in the market, so you guys should go check it out and point them in the right direction
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 22:54   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Apparently the Optra 1.8 has been discontinued as they couldn't source the engines.
Who told you this? You mean GM cannot source that engine from HOLDEN any more??

I find it out of place Boom. Kick those guys again to get the right answer.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2006, 23:05   #21
BANNED

My neighbour works in GM Marketing. Apparently they're trying to work out some kind of performance division for their cars because of negative feedback. A lot of the feedback was probably mine

He says the 1.8 has been discontinued. Don't know if that's a fact, but so far he hasn't been wrong.
Old 24th November 2006, 00:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
Hey I got this off my neighbour who works with GM.

After hearing loads of customers criticising their sluggish engines, GM has finally woken up and is planning to launch a supercharged version of the SRV. They are currently displaying the vehicle at the Autocar Expo at BKC.

The supercharger + plumbing etc will cost Rs.1.5 lakh and will be offered as an option at the dealership level. It's also compatible with Optra 1.6. I think therefore Aveo 1.6 is also compatible but I'm not sure.

No dyno figures yet, but the GM engineers are calculating 150 bhp and 0-100 in under 9 seconds. That's pretty good for a car that will cost less than 10 lakhs.

As of now GM is only displaying one car to guage consumer feedback. Based on that, they will then decide whether it's feasible to launch the upgrade.

Finally!
Brilliant piece of news! The 1st manufacturer in India looking at performance versions of their regular models! Any idea abt their reason to go in for a supercharger over a turbo?!
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 00:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

To prevent turbolag i guess..
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 03:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Brilliant piece of news! The 1st manufacturer in India looking at performance versions of their regular models!
wht abour the octavia RS?
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 08:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

If they can offer this car with warranty, improve the gearbox, use better pastics for interiors( or give it the regular optra interiors at least), and keep it under 10L, I am buying one for sure....Black with matt finish gold alloys!!!! YUMMY
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 09:50   #26
BANNED

Well they're still taking feedback. I made it a point to tell them no one would buy their kit if it voided the car warranty. If enough people tell them, perhaps they will listen.
Old 24th November 2006, 10:17   #27
BHPian

Warranty getting void sounds fishy. Is there any kind of brochure available at the stall. Boom can you please pick p one and scan it. Preferably with some numbers. Thanx buddy.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2006, 10:31   #28
BANNED

Hey Sideways, will try and do that. Some of our bhpians are there - met Dippy and Viper. Sam's also there, so maybe they can grill the GM guys.

I tried asking questions but the guys at the stall were your usual preprogrammed robots. They didn't know anything except for the basic spiel.

Will try and get my hands on a brochure and some pics also when I go next. If anyone's visiting the place today or tomorrow, please try and get them.
Old 25th November 2006, 02:07   #29
Senior - BHPian

i went to the autocar things today and the *** there told me the SRV is a D segment car, loser sales ppl they hire/
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2006, 08:43   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Warranty getting void sounds fishy. Is there any kind of brochure available at the stall. Boom can you please pick p one and scan it. Preferably with some numbers. Thanx buddy.
Hi,

Happened to meet the GM big boss at the expo. Have a scheduled meeting with the guy in charge of the project this afternoon. Will be taking all the info then. Have clicked several pics of all the cars at the expo will be putting them up once the expo is over.

Viper
viper is offline   Reply With Quote