Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 4th December 2009, 15:45   #91
Senior - BHPian

Today there was a Ford India ad in Times Of India - Up to Rs 75,000/ discount on Fiesta; Offer valid for 10 days.
pramodpk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 17:21   #92
BHPian

well that depends how long are you planning to keep the car, how well you plan to maintain it and howz the current resale value of the car.

a - If you plan to keep the car long enough and if you plan to maintain it really well - by all means prefer buying a december car.

The topping on the cake is that if the car you plan to buy suffers with a poor resale - and if (a) is true then you'd get more discounts. However if a is false then postpone your decision to Jan.
sonirohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 18:18   #93
BHPian

No cars would be sold at all in December if everyone thinks of resale of an old car one year later. Infact when looking for a used car every where its mentioned as date of first registration and age in years and months to be precise. Go to any true value dealers, thats how they mention it. Why manufacturers give discounts in Dec is because they would want to clear inventory and give a facelift in features and other upgrades with a price hike in January. With the kind of discounts, no one should bother about resale value that much when no one is sure when they would actually be reselling it in the future. With the current discount on ford Fiesta, I am sure there will be a complete makeover of the model next year, so thats why the discount to clear the inventory. So wait till next year to get a new design and pay way more or buy now to avail discounts.
samsan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2009, 20:49   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivprasad View Post
I have booked an SX4 ZXi and expect it to be delivered in the second week of December. I propose to buy it then, but get the vehicle registered in January 2010. By and large, the age of a vehicle is determined from the date of first registration, not from the date of manufacture.
Kindly find out from your RTA if you are allowed to wait for 2-3 weeks after the delivery of the vehicle for getting it registered. Here, in AP, we are given 7 days only to present the vehicle for registration.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 09:56   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Kindly find out from your RTA if you are allowed to wait for 2-3 weeks after the delivery of the vehicle for getting it registered. Here, in AP, we are given 7 days only to present the vehicle for registration.
Correction: In AP, it is a 7 day period for getting the Temporary Registration done and a 30 day period for getting the Permanent Registration done.
kalyan_hyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 14:20   #96
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiesta has been having discount schemes on since the last 6 months, first it was on the base spec (where at 5.5L they added some of the stuff from the higher end ZXI). Then they had a discount on the SXI with a lot of the goodies at the ZXI price, and now they have it primarily on the ZXI (75k off) but the rest of the range too has a discount.

Don't expect a new look fiesta for another 3 months, this is to beat the dec slump, and bring about a price correction over the longer term.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 18:54   #97
BHPian

ya, thats for sure there are lots offer going on these days .Skoda dealer over here is giving ads of Skoda Octavia for Rs.9.99 lacs only & Laura for Rs. 11.99.
If at all while selling we loose some money, it is componsated at the discount we get at the time of buy.
ganesh_evo75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 23:14   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalyan_hyd View Post
Correction: In AP, it is a 7 day period for getting the Temporary Registration done and a 30 day period for getting the Permanent Registration done.
The period is 15 days I think, after which you are charged Rs 2,500/- for the next fortnight. In fact, alongwith the initial payment this money is collected, to be refunded if the permanent registration is done within the stipulated time. The dealer has calculated the OTR cost this way.
vivprasad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 11:43   #99
BHPian

Default Buying a Car: Year End Dilemma

Hola!

This is my very first post on Team BHP forum!

Straight to the point:

I currently drive a Santro and have been comtemplating buying a new car. Reasons:

- Santro is getting old. 10 years and 1.4 lacs + Kms
- The service station bills have started looking scary

I had initially started looking for a car with a budget of Rs. 5.5 lacs which has now expanded to Rs. 6.5 lacs and have zeroed in on Hyundai I20 1.2 L Sportz.

However, I am not sure if I should buy the car now (given it's already Nov 2010 and the car would be delivered around December 2010). I read in new car buying guide that one should avoid buying cars in the year end. Moreover, Hyundai has absolutely no offers and discounts for the I20.

The only consideration is that I am getting an exchange value of Rs. 1.10 lac for my Santro (2000 registered, 1.4+ lacs km., second owner). And i cannot sell the car much before i get the new car. So, will the exchange value change drastically if i wait till 2011 for the new car? Or, is it ok to take a hit on the exchange value of the old car as a trade off for a better re-sale value of the new car?

Further, if i am waiting till 2011 to buy the new car, which is the best month to buy the car?

Any advice will be much appreciated
manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 19:17   #100
BHPian

Hey Manz, Welcome to T-Bhp.

Think of the year only if resale is important. Ppl tend to bargain only if you missed the new year in buying the car. However, if you wanna play safe then its just a matter of a couple of months.
You are gettin exchange value by Hyundai or some other place?

The other catch - if you book your vehicle in late December the showroom guys can offer you discount if you bargain. Again for the same reason - most of the ppl avoid buying in late December.
Vibhanshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 21:02   #101
Team-BHP Support

Dude manz, you buy a car when you need a car. Everything else is buckwaas!

My first car was Nov registered- got it just after my birthday. Actually a LOT of cars in India would be bought around Oct/Nov anyway thanks to the festive season.

The main reason people advise against buying a car late in the year is that it adds a year to the car's age during re-sale. If say you want to sell your car in June 2013, people will think of your car as 3 years old as opposed to 2. In the long run it really doesn't matter, because pricing a car up for resale is more art than science anyway.

Also as Vibhanshu mentioned, you can probably worm out a better discount from your dealer for a December buy. So go for it!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 21:34   #102
BANNED

Welcome to TBHP. Why not buy the car towards the end of December and take delivery in Jan.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 21:40   #103
Senior - BHPian

couldnt agree more to your first statement
also - nowadays people have evolved way past that silly year end nonsense unless one is intending to claim depreciation as a company or something of that kind.

people are generally more interested (when seeking an used car) in its service history, quality of maintenance, upkeep, kind of owner / dealer that one is buying from and overall cost vs benefit etc. the old story about buying in December and registering in Jan etc doesnt really make a difference either way any more in most buyers minds.

[quote=noopster;2155733]Dude manz, you buy a car when you need a car. Everything else is buckwaas!

The main reason people advise against buying a car late in the year is that it adds a year to the car's age during re-sale. If say you want to sell your car in June 2013, people will think of your car as 3 years old as opposed to 2. In the long run it really doesn't matter, because pricing a car up for resale is more art than science anyway.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2010, 21:56   #104
BHPian

The resale value would depend much more on how the car has been used and maintained and the miles clocked than on the month/year it was bought in.
But yes, when you advertise to resell your car, a Hyundai i20 (2010) would sound a year older than a Hyundai i20 (2011). If this is and issue, I guess there are three options before you:
1. If you are trading in your old Santro, the price offered is unlikely to change if you wait till Jan. You could book the new car in December and take delivery in early Jan.
2. You could let go of your Santro now, and go without a car for a month, and take delivery of your new car in Jan.
3. You could take delivery of the new car in December, on a temporary registration and have the permanent registration done in Jan. Technically you'd have 2011 car!
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 13:33   #105
BHPian

If you need a car then buy it right now!
The reason for the whole year end buying has been explained sufficiently so I'm not going to dwell on it.
However I will say this, if you are planning to keep your car for more than 5 years then this whole year end thing won't even effect the resale value. So be rest assured of this and go get that discount on your Santro.
veedub89 is offline   Reply With Quote