Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th December 2010, 11:10   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Is there any advantage in waiting for New Year to buy a car ?

Sometimes I wonder why didn't I just decide to buy the car a few months ago. Anyways, the deed is done. I will be the proud owner of a November 2010 manufactured-December 2010 registered car.

And, if and when, i plan to sell the car, and the potential buyer gets stuck on 2010 registration, i'd go and look for another one. Simple.
manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 17:11   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manz View Post
Sometimes I wonder why didn't I just decide to buy the car a few months ago. Anyways, the deed is done. I will be the proud owner of a November 2010 manufactured-December 2010 registered car.

And, if and when, i plan to sell the car, and the potential buyer gets stuck on 2010 registration, i'd go and look for another one. Simple.
well done. Now that is what I call the spirit.

Congratulations on the buy and enjoy your car for many many happy miles
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 01:02   #123
BHPian

Thankee AnilSanil!

I got my car today and seriously not even once have i stopped to think it's Dec2010. I have a new set of wheels that I am loving and seriously it's all that matters at the end of it all!
manz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 21:42   #124
BHPian

thats the way, one should never obssess with the thought of selling a car when buying in the first place. You are buying the car to enjoy and use it over the years, not to sell it first. And when the time comes be a bit reasonable in expectations, but do your talk of being a hard ball.
Congrats.
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 11:42   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Welcome to TBHP. Why not buy the car towards the end of December and take delivery in Jan.
Hi live to Jive,

Interesting name i say.

wanted to ask if you take the delivery of the car in December but get it registered in January, The RC will have a date of January 2013 ? The day you are registering it ? Isn't it ? The RTO uses which date ? the sale agreement or the day of registering it ?

Thanks.
manjuhara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 11:52   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjuhara View Post
The RTO uses which date ? the sale agreement or the day of registering it ?
May there is change in format of RC book (card), however for KA RC book mentions the year of manufacture. So even if you register the car in new year the year of manufacture will still show the previous year.
I am unable to re-collect if apart from that there is a second field which mentions something like year / date of registration.
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 11:53   #127
BHPian

why think about selling at the time you are buying a new car? just think about the fun in driving ahead of you...
The only possible problem of buying a car in December is the cold...a new engine needs some run-in time and warming up, which might be an issue in the winters.
amitayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 19:22   #128
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally, I am given to understand that most car loan and consumer loan interest rates are likely to move southwards in the New Year, in an attempt to boost consumer spending. Given the doldrums which most manufacturers are in, on account of growing stock-piles of goods, this seems to be one way of giving a fillip to the flagging consumer purchase behaviour pattern story over the last few months.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2014, 01:27   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Even if you buy in Jan/Feb there is no guarantee that you will get a car manufactured in the new year. The year of manufacture in the RC book is not based on purchase or date of registration......Hence If the manufacturer is offering massive discounts during year end, I think it is better to grab that offer rather than waiting for New Year
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
The normal Dick & Harry don't know what is VIN itself !

FYI, In 98% of the used cars sales; what it matters is the date on the RC and not the manufacturing date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
In my experience of selling our cars in the family which were bought brand new; it is the year of registration of the vehicle and not year of manufacture of the vehicle that has a telling impact on the resale value of the car..
+1 to all above. IMHO, though the date of manufacture is prominently mentioned on the RC book, its relevance is cosmetic, since we pay the road tax from the date of regn & also the vehicle can be used on the roads only from that date. Hence depreciation of the vehicle should practically start from that date.

If there is dealer involved at the time of re-sale then he just uses the Oct-Dec manufacturing date as pressure point to reduce the price. A discounted rupee in hand at the time of purchase is definitely better than worrying about the re-sale price. Prices also generally increase after Dec.

But as mentioned earlier here, we can go for a Dec purchase if we forgo the desire for a new model which may be launched shortly.

The entire cycle of purchase & re-sale will be most beneficial if we buy & sell during Nov-Dec
gearedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 22:43   #130

Dear Mpksuhas,

Well, in Delhi NCR (Gurgaon to be precise) it is not the year of manufacturing. Mine is November 2013, i took the delivery on 24th december 2013 and got it registered in January 2014 as was out of station. But interestingly, the RC shows the date of registration of the vehicle which i was fearing would be year of manufacturing. So, my RC bears January 2014 for my EcoSport. Maybe other states differ on it, but i don't know why it should be different from state to state. It would be very strange indeed.
manjuhara is offline   Reply With Quote