Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 1st December 2006, 14:25   #1
BHPian

Default Honda to introduce New Accord - Business Standard

Honda to introduce new Accord

Swaraj Baggonkar / Mumbai December 1, 2006

Passenger vehicle major Honda Siel India will launch the new version of premium sedan Accord by the next year.

The seventh generation Accord, which is the same car that is sold in the US and the Japanese markets, has been in the Indian market for the last three years with a monthly sales hovering around 250 units. Now, India is expected to get the same Accord that is currently being sold in the US market.

There are not many changes made to the car except for a makeover given to the rear tail lights and a new front end horizontal chrome line which is also seen on the City ZX.

Masahiro Takedagawa, president and CEO, Honda Siel Cars India, said, “The Accord has been our flagship model in India for the past three years, however we are also planning to give the car a facelift and re-launch it very soon, may be in 2007 thus maintaining the idea of giving the Indian customers the best the company is offering in the overseas market”.

The engine specifications for the new Accord are expected to be higher than those of the outgoing model with a marginal increase in the basic price of the vehicle.

The engine size will remain of the 2.4 litre type but will produce 160 bhp instead of the current 141 bhp. The more powerful 3.0 litre V6 will get an option of manual transmission, the Accord is currently available only in automatic transmission in the Indian market.

Takedagawa further added that the company plans to increase the production at their facility in Greater Noida to 100,000 units by the end of next year, from the current of 60,000 units.

The plant jointly produces Honda’s City, Civic and the Accord. For this, the company is also considering of expanding its number of sales and service outlets to 100 by the next three or four years from the present number of 53.

The company is also planning to introduce a small car in three years that would be produced within the parameters of a small car as defined by the government.

The car will not be longer than 4000mm and the engine size will not be larger than 1200cc. This would be the first time that the company will be a volume player instead of a brand building player.
rangaraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 14:30   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangaraj View Post
The more powerful 3.0 litre V6 will get an option of manual transmission, the Accord is currently available only in automatic transmission in the Indian market.
Rejoice!! Your prayers have been answered!!
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 15:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ahhh finally GOD has listened to one of my current complaints!! Sideways you listening? Now I can decide on my next car
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 15:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The more powerful 3.0 litre V6 will get an option of manual transmission, the Accord is currently available only in automatic transmission in the Indian market.
Hallelujah ! Praise the Lord !!!!
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 15:19   #5
BANNED

Quote:

The engine size will remain of the 2.4 litre type but will produce 160 bhp instead of the current 141 bhp. The more powerful 3.0 litre V6 will get an option of manual transmission.

Wow. Things just got very interesting.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 15:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

I feel the Accord could have done better than 160bhp. Specific power output should have been atleast 70bhp/ltr (considering that the present Accord V6 produces 73.66bhp/ltr).

Or maybe the new engine has compromised on power for a better torque band at low revvs.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 15:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Could be Shan2nu but I guess one could drive the new CR-V to confirm that.

Also any idea about the V6 manual price point guys? I'm hoping it's about 17-18L OTR so I can keep my hopes of owning one alive!!
Old 1st December 2006, 15:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The engine specifications for the new Accord are expected to be higher than those of the outgoing model with a marginal increase in the basic price of the vehicle.
Marginal increase... At least 3 lakhs I guess!
yeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 15:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could be Shan2nu but I guess one could drive the new CR-V to confirm that.

Also any idea about the V6 manual price point guys? I'm hoping it's about 17-18L OTR so I can keep my hopes of owning one alive!!
The Accord and the CR-V share the same engine, but thats where the similarities end. These are 2 diff vehicles with completely diff performance expectations. So, driving a CR-V wont tell you anything about the Accord.

I wont be surprised if the Accord 2.4 itself will end up costing 17-18 lakhs. The V6 will have to cost more than that.

Shan2nu
Old 1st December 2006, 16:37   #10
BANNED

The new Accord is pretty much the same car we see here today but for some minor changes. I would be well satisfied with the current one rather than the would be overpriced new model!!.

And the rear light treatment of the new Accord makes it look like a bit humble fumble..! I think the current rear light design is more classier. The only trouble was that some Hyundai car opted to copy it!! :
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 16:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis View Post
Marginal increase... At least 3 lakhs I guess!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
I wont be surprised if the Accord 2.4 itself will end up costing 17-18 lakhs. The V6 will have to cost more than that.
Shan2nu
DRAT. If that's the projected price then my plans are going to go down the drain.

Quote:
The Accord and the CR-V share the same engine, but thats where the similarities end. These are 2 diff vehicles with completely diff performance expectations. So, driving a CR-V wont tell you anything about the Accord.
Yeah but the engine characteristics would be similar I assume & would tell you about the power delivery, torque band etc. Especially since they weigh near about the same.

Last edited by iraghava : 1st December 2006 at 17:13.
Old 1st December 2006, 17:14   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah but the engine characteristics would be similar I assume & would tell you about the power delivery, torque band etc.
It's the same engine so there's no doubt about the engine characteristics but the transmission can make a big difference to how the car performs.

The CR-V is gonna have a 6 speed M/T. If the Accord comes with the same transmission, you could get some idea about driveability.

It's like comparing the Alto 1.1 with the Wagon R. Both have the same engine, but even so, their performance and driveability is diff.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 1st December 2006 at 17:15.
Old 1st December 2006, 17:45   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's the same engine so there's no doubt about the engine characteristics but the transmission can make a big difference to how the car performs.

The CR-V is gonna have a 6 speed M/T. If the Accord comes with the same transmission, you could get some idea about driveability.
Agreed you're right about the transmission & in all probability it will vary due to differing needs on the Accord & CR-V. But still it does give you a basic idea of the engine characteristics. And in any case for a detailed analysis we can wait till the Accord's launch.

Last edited by iraghava : 1st December 2006 at 17:54.
Old 1st December 2006, 18:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

finally they bring it here. i saw exactly one of the new ones in thailand in aug. dint bother with pics though. off topic but i feel i am the only one who loves V6 auto. dunno whats this joy of manual transmission. for ur info i love automatics.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 20:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
off topic but i feel i am the only one who loves V6 auto. dunno whats this joy of manual transmission. for ur info i love automatics.
I guess it mostly has to do with the increased control one has over the car, atleast in my case. Plus I'm a diehard heel-and-toer so prefer driving Manuals over Auto's anyday.

Last edited by iraghava : 1st December 2006 at 20:26.