Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 15:14   #31
DRC
BHPian
 
DRC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Cockpit
Posts: 907
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Selling more in south!!, I don't think so, I may be wrong, but I rarely see a verna. May be I am not watchful. Here in Bangalore atlease, Fiesta seems to be on top. very occassionally I have seen an aveo.

Funny thing I observed, Trident Hyundai ( I live close by) does not seem to be showcaseing it the way they did for other Hyundais. They usually park some cars outside to public view. mosty the test drive cars. But verna I have never seen it there. May be there are explainations like they are busy doing test drives???
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 15:14   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Nickatnite - Please blank out the numberplates of the cars before posting pictures.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 16:58   #33
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 183
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

I am pretty sure the honeymoon period of the Verna is over. I drove the CRDI on saturday and except for the engine (and the fact that its a diesel), I saw no other reason to buy the car. The Honda City definitely makes more sense to me. And the sales figures say it.
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 17:49   #34
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza View Post
I am pretty sure the honeymoon period of the Verna is over. I drove the CRDI on saturday and except for the engine (and the fact that its a diesel), I saw no other reason to buy the car. The Honda City definitely makes more sense to me. And the sales figures say it.
Surprising to hear from you that engine is the only reason to buy Verna CRDi. Sales figures doesn't decide on the quality and practicality of a car especially in India. City sells mainly due to the Honda brand name and its mileage figures most of which are hyped. Also Honda doesnt enjoy the same brand status elsewhere as in India.

Verna CRDi is arnd 40K rupees expensive than base model City. For this you get a much more powerful Diesel engine compared to the City and the mileage also is better than City. 12+ in city and close to 17 in highways for Verna as per autocar. Considering Verna is Diesel FE wise Verna outscores City. Yes, the features are less compared to Petrol versions but then what does City have in special? It doesnt have ABS, which is atleast optional with Verna. Also there are certain other added safety features in Verna like impact sensing door unlock which is very important.

Sales figures of City in November is 2732 units compared to Accent/Verna's 2900+ units. Accent sells very less after launch of Verna so virtually all the figures are from Verna itself.

Choosing a City or Verna is a personal choice but telling that engine is the only reason to buy Verna is stupidity.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 18:13   #35
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

I have been mentioning it on other threads - don't see as many Vernas as Hyundai would like me to believe.

As someone else mentioned on this thread, a lot of Elantras are to be seen nowadays, and new ones at that. And that for a car which was a flop. And even though I hated its looks when it was launched, now it seems pretty decent especially in certain colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Surprising to hear from you that engine is the only reason to buy Verna CRDi.
Floyd was not the first one to say that. Most of the people that test drove the car and posted review comments have mentioned the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Sales figures doesn't decide on the quality and practicality of a car especially in India. City sells mainly due to the Honda brand name and its mileage figures most of which are hyped. Also Honda doesnt enjoy the same brand status elsewhere as in India.
If a product is not worth the money paid, it will not keep selling for years, be it Honda or otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Verna CRDi is arnd 40K rupees expensive than base model City. For this you get a much more powerful Diesel engine compared to the City and the mileage also is better than City. 12+ in city and close to 17 in highways for Verna as per autocar. Considering Verna is Diesel FE wise Verna outscores City. Yes, the features are less compared to Petrol versions but then what does City have in special? It doesnt have ABS, which is atleast optional with Verna. Also there are certain other added safety features in Verna like impact sensing door unlock which is very important.
If Verna is all what you mentioned and more, where are the cars ? People should be scrambling on top of each other to get it home, which in turn would be reflected on cars on the road, which does not seem to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Accent sells very less after launch of Verna so virtually all the figures are from Verna itself.
I do not think so. A guy in our apartment went and bought the 1.6 Accent (GLS) last week. I asked him why not Verna ? He said it is too costly, though he indicated that he liked Verna more. So maybe high pricing is one reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
Choosing a City or Verna is a personal choice but telling that engine is the only reason to buy Verna is stupidity.
Maybe you could start with accepting that others have a right to their opinion, just as you have one. Just because someone does not share your enthusiasm for a brand does not make them stupid.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 18:26   #36
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
And even though I hated its looks when it was launched, now it seems pretty decent especially in certain colors.
Maybe because its better looking than the Verna ......definitely better
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 18:42   #37
Distinguished - BHPian
 
supremeBaleno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Weekdays@Chennai, Weekends@Kerala
Posts: 5,164
Thanked: 1,635 Times
Default

Oh, that's for sure, suman. Anything beats a Verna in looks.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 18:43   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 64 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
Surprising to hear from you that engine is the only reason to buy Verna CRDi. Sales figures doesn't decide on the quality and practicality of a car especially in India.
Why would you say that ? I thought Indians are very quality conscious and are very practicle in their approach. Can you please share the name of car which sells in high numbers but is neither practicle nor of high quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76 View Post
City sells mainly due to the Honda brand name and its mileage figures most of which are hyped. Also Honda doesnt enjoy the same brand status elsewhere as in India.
Honda has better brand value than Hyundai not just in India but in other countries as well. What did you have in mind when you said elsewhere.Besides where do you think Brand status comes from ? Certainly not thin air.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 23:37   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 195
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

I'm surprised not to see similar threads like "why there are less aveos on road" or "why there are less fiestas on road" - i mean after two months of launch of a new brand, there wont be too much vehicles on the road... this is the case with other brands also...
Regarding seeing more NHCs on the road compared to fiestas and aveos, NHC must have been launched before these brands, so obviously there will be more of those particular brand..... (I dont remember the exact date of launch of NHC, but I think it must be before the other two)
vivekkr_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2006, 23:47   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 195
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Funny thing I observed, Trident Hyundai ( I live close by) does not seem to be showcaseing it the way they did for other Hyundais. They usually park some cars outside to public view. mosty the test drive cars. But verna I have never seen it there. May be there are explainations like they are busy doing test drives???
Actually while coming from office everyday, I pass in front of Trident Hyundai (100 feet road, Indiranagar) and most of the times (8/10), I've seen a Verna parked outside. Today, in fact, I spotted a sonata and a verna.
I plainly dont believe that you have "never" seen a verna there (hope we are talking of the same showroom) !!! Could you please be more specific in what you are trying to suggest with that statement?
vivekkr_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 05:03   #41
BHPian
 
Yusha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 147
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

The diesel Verna is not selling so well because its expensive. Too much money. Might make sense for some one who travels a lot.
Yusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 09:44   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
devarshi84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ahmedabad - Tor
Posts: 3,996
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

I personally dont like the verna. I think the fiesta Diesel is a better car.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 10:24   #43
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
I have been mentioning it on other threads - don't see as many Vernas as Hyundai would like me to believe.

As someone else mentioned on this thread, a lot of Elantras are to be seen nowadays, and new ones at that. And that for a car which was a flop. And even though I hated its looks when it was launched, now it seems pretty decent especially in certain colors.

Floyd was not the first one to say that. Most of the people that test drove the car and posted review comments have mentioned the same thing.

If a product is not worth the money paid, it will not keep selling for years, be it Honda or otherwise.

If Verna is all what you mentioned and more, where are the cars ? People should be scrambling on top of each other to get it home, which in turn would be reflected on cars on the road, which does not seem to be the case.

I do not think so. A guy in our apartment went and bought the 1.6 Accent (GLS) last week. I asked him why not Verna ? He said it is too costly, though he indicated that he liked Verna more. So maybe high pricing is one reason.

Maybe you could start with accepting that others have a right to their opinion, just as you have one. Just because someone does not share your enthusiasm for a brand does not make them stupid.
Mr. Baleno, I hope Baleno is the best car available in India followed by Honda City.

Now could you please enlighten why there are not too many Aveos on road since its launch long back? Verna is just been launched. And Team-BHP is not the only place to decide whether there isnt too much Vernas on road. Some people are already reporting that there a lot of Vernas.

You're not seeing is quite surprising. Accent GLS and Verna 1.6 base model costs the same. So there is some problem with your friend's decision to buy Accent. Also Verna/Accent combination sales figures are 2900+ units compared to City's 2600+ units. Out of the 2900+ units Accent might have sold just 50 units or even lesser.

You're a hardcore Japanese fan as well as brand image fan so no pint in arguing with you. I understand your feelings for not seeing Vernas on road
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 10:26   #44
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I personally dont like the verna. I think the fiesta Diesel is a better car.
Fiesta is definitely better in certain aspects but Verna has its own advantages. As you said it's a personal choice.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 10:29   #45
BHPian
 
adarsh76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 655
Thanked: 222 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
Why would you say that ? I thought Indians are very quality conscious and are very practicle in their approach. Can you please share the name of car which sells in high numbers but is neither practicle nor of high quality.



Honda has better brand value than Hyundai not just in India but in other countries as well. What did you have in mind when you said elsewhere.Besides where do you think Brand status comes from ? Certainly not thin air.
Cant argue with "Hondadude" . Whatever you say is true.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My "not so great" experience with the Mahindra XUV5OO W8. Too many niggles!! hell yeah Technical Stuff 77 13th May 2015 16:01
Car sales falling. Why not realty prices too? Nilesh5417 Shifting gears 20 15th March 2013 14:00
Many Many Happy returns Of the DAY SRK!! SohailPistawala Shifting gears 4 31st March 2008 18:17
Civic's - Why are there so many of them in the used car market? unknown The Indian Car Scene 140 20th December 2007 15:13
Modded Zen in bangalore (There are too many.....Still) blueraven316 Modifications & Accessories 28 9th August 2006 22:41


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:56.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks