Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th December 2017, 14:55   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour: Lexus LS 500h to be launched in January 2018

Quote:
German marques when they launch a new car its in CBU form and they switch over to CKD assembly
Quote:
German marques when they launch a new car its in CBU form and they switch over to CKD assembly
Exactly, that's their strategy, it's not that they don't pass benefits to customer from CKD but on contrary, they somehow manage and convenience their HO to support local company till the time they start assembling by getting CBU at lower stock transfer rates, more like cost prices due to which they are able to price CBU close to CKD.

You can pick up any CBU car from German trio (do consider the rebates!) & Toyota/ Lexus and then compare US/ Canada prices with Indian prices and you will see how Toyota/ Lexus have priced here. GX @ 2,4 crore is a Joke no matter what reasons Lexus wants to give.

If there are no production plans from Lexus as being mentioned here, Lexus & their dealers have dark days ahead at current rates, no matter how good or maintenance free cars they make or promise.

Quote:
That way they can focus on customer relations / interactions. Have a look at V.Narayan's Lexus ownership thread. 2 top Japanese executives coming personally to meet with a customer?
Yes but for what? I don't think anyone will buy a car just because some foreigners are asking for feedback? this may be partially due to nature of Germans of having a feeling of producing superior products than anyone else. I must add having received some phone calls from BMW Germany asking for Delivery and service feedback

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th December 2017 at 15:06.
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 17:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I must add having received some phone calls from BMW Germany asking for Delivery and service feedback
I received a call from Fiat Italy a couple of months after I bought a Punto 90HP in 2010. I am sure other BHPians have received similar calls from Fiat. It wasn't just a quick 2-minute feedback call either - there were queries about every part / aspect of the car. The call lasted 20 minutes or so.
StarrySky is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 19:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I received a call from Fiat Italy a couple of months after I bought a Punto 90HP in 2010. I am sure other BHPians have received similar calls from Fiat. It wasn't just a quick 2-minute feedback call either - there were queries about every part / aspect of the car. The call lasted 20 minutes or so.
Same here in 2011, a long call, covering everything from how I shortlisted the car to the buying experience.

Lexus will do well with the ES and NX, not sure how the other cars would appeal to the current owners of the German trio. A 2 crore LS has nearly nothing better than the Maybach series, except for reliability, not quite that important when you have a few other cars lined up.
avira_tk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 21:53   #19
Team-BHP Support

Wow at 2cr plus its truly a joke. I wonder what Lexus is doing in terms of their pricing strategy. Lexus is already reasonably well known here, thanks to the SUVs going out in the 90s, and its got snob value too. So by pricing all their products about 50-60% higher than their competitors in some cases, I'm not sure what they are going for. The S class starts at 1.2 ex showroom and there are discounts, the 7 starts even below that.

In the case of the LX, even the RR Vogue with a v8 diesel is cheaper I believe. I simply cannot understand it.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2017, 22:53   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But why? If Mercedes, BMW, Audi & Jaguar can assemble cars here, why not Lexus? It's sheer laziness. Their parent already has a splendid facility up & running in Karnataka. But then, this is the same group that took 4 years to bring the Fortuner here, and still sells outdated cars (Etios, Liva).

Until Lexus pulls up its socks on local assembly & pricing, the brand will have to watch the action from the sidelines.
The official version is that these countries are not ready to build high quality vehicles like the Lexus. They only went to North America because those two countries have been building cars for years and have the right mentality for it.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 09:24   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
I simply cannot understand it.
Me too! They got some business plan for India! And in Kerala, I have seen many new cars in the past few months - mainly the RX.

From what I understand the LS is cheaper than the S, 7 or the A8 in the US market if one is to compare the like for like variants.

And even if you leave the price aside, I am still not able to digest the exterior design. Comes across as a bit too ostentatious!
deetjohn is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 11:24   #22
BHPian

No matter how pricey it might be, not that I can be even close to affording it, but the design language, especially that wicked interior, stands out from the usual BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar affair that we’re used to seeing on our roads now.
Yes, I’ll take away some brownie points from Lexus for only going the CBU way & making a 3.5L V6 with a 4 Speed CVT cost as much as a 3 BHK house in New Delhi.

Last edited by navin : 7th December 2017 at 14:31.
AShubrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 11:27   #23
BHPian

Instead of investing on Lexus, Toyota should have considered investing the same money for bringing in more Toyota's -Rush,Vios, Yaris. Toyota has a good premium brand image in India and instead of fighting the established segment, they should have focused on their fundamentals.
Looks like Toyota is planning to compete with Mecr/BMW/Audi with brand Toyota and pit Lexus against the likes of Bentley,Maserrati. -High hopes Toyota!

Last edited by PrideRed : 7th December 2017 at 11:46.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 12:27   #24
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (14)
Unhappy Re: Rumour: Lexus LS 500h to be launched in January 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post

And even if you leave the price aside, I am still not able to digest the exterior design. Comes across as a bit too ostentatious!
This going to be the case with most poeple. Seems like Lexus misunderstood "aerodynamics" as "arrowdynamics". But still I guess chrome loving mass will like it.
Talking about the price, Lexus is simply screwed. Its rivals have already established themselves, that too a lower price(I just checked the price, 7-series start from 1.15Cr and S-class starts from 1.19Cr). I guess its only buyers are going to be the ones who must be very rich and have got a little bored with BMWs and Mercedes(s) and want to try something new.
Simat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 13:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
... in Kerala, I have seen many new cars in the past few months - mainly the RX. !
Not only the RX, many LX 450d s have been sold in Kerala too.

Kerala is a solid Toyota country. Innovas, Fortuners are the primary choices after Marutis. Even spanking new Land Cruisers are not rare, considering the bigger Mercedes GLS is almost half the price.

But I doubt how many copies of this LS would find its way here. In that segment, the S Class rules the roost.
Yeldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 16:13   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

The launch date has been set for 15th January. Price will be announced on launch. Deliveries to start 1st week of April'18. I will go for a test drive even though it is way beyond my pay grade.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2017, 20:23   #27
BHPian

I was actually waiting for this car to come to India, but as said by the Gurus V6 At 2 Cr plus , is a sheer waste of money , the German trio and Jaguar offer a much more value for money.
It would definitely put off the prospective buyers like me.
Lexus has to be sensible enough to gauge the mindset of Indian people before finalising the price.
behaln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2017, 02:04   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
I was actually waiting for this car to come to India, but as said by the Gurus V6 At 2 Cr plus , is a sheer waste of money , the German trio and Jaguar offer a much more value for money.
It would definitely put off the prospective buyers like me.
Lexus has to be sensible enough to gauge the mindset of Indian people before finalising the price.
You can't look at it as a V6. It's supported by an electric motor too. It's got sufficient power and it will be smooth as silk. Pricing is crazy but as a car I think it offers a lot and could compete well with the big 3. It delivers a 0-60 mph time of 5.2 seconds which is pretty good for a massive luxury car. Remember only a few years ago this used to be 0-60 time for the AMG and M series cars. The ferrari 456 had a similar 0-60 time.

Its sufficiently powerful my friend. In fact the latest F-1 cars have a V6 too.
HKap is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote