Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th December 2017, 13:06   #31

Default Re: Current-gen Swift production ends

Canít share any pics or personal experiences here as I do not own Swift, but would like to say a couple of words about abuse friendly nature of this machine.
My friend owns couple of brick kilns (friends from north must be have heard the term "BHATTA") and owing to the location and roads leading to their work place they need small diesel cars with great mileage. Guess what? Out of the seven cars they own five are MS Swift, other two being T Fort and A6. None of their cars (Swift) is below 1.5L mark and all of them are still going strong.
itsmb is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2017, 13:22   #32
BHPian

Just completed a 1700 Kms road trip with family through NHs, State highways, small roads through thick western ghats, coastal roads on Kerala beaches on my 1st Gen 1.3DDis without any issues. Definitely a reliable car. I can start a long trip anytime without thinking twice. Proud to say it is one of the first 10000 cars sold in India back in 2007. Current Odo is 218008 to be precise and going strong.

Realized after this trip it's time to change the car as we can feel the different in suspension and ride quality. Nothing to complain about engine or performance.
blorebuddy is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 10:06   #33
BHPian

People may love it or hate it but they are bound to respect the market topper for being invincible over this long a run by relentlessly staving off stiff competition from cars that were lower priced, better built, better vfm, cheaper to maintain, roomier, better equipped and better in performance.

Maruti had best gauged the people's perspective and managed to make them swell with pride on owning the swift after a long waiting period and 'slight premium'. They managed to make the people put up with the swift's shortcomings by magnifying people's perceived fears on others options.

Their thumping success will be studied diligently by every other player in the market.

I sincerely hope that the other brands manage to shift the people's perspective resulting in people having better cars rather than perceived-as-better cars in future.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2017, 12:03   #34
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 1st January 2018 at 08:39.
sushil_n79 is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 31st December 2017, 18:29   #35
bkc
BHPian

Completed 52.5kkms in 2.7yrs and it has taken me to all kind of roads, safe and sound.

Current-gen Swift production ends-paint.jpeg

Current-gen Swift production ends-whatsapp-image-20171231-6.21.14-pm-1.jpeg

Current-gen Swift production ends-whatsapp-image-20171231-6.21.14-pm.jpeg
bkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 03:05   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Completed 52.5kkms in 2.7yrs and it has taken me to all kind of roads, safe and sound.
Is that the gear lever from the Baleno/Ciaz? How much did it cost to get that fixed? Did you get it done at MASS? Were there any issues in replacing the regular swift gear lever with this one?
shimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 06:57   #37
Senior - BHPian

Had the privilege to own a 2010 Swift 1.3 Diesel for good 6 years. This was our first Diesel car ( fondly called him Rudolf) and sole reason of getting converted from a Petrol lover to a Diesel head. Though currently I own an Scross 1.6, I miss the nimble handling that the swift had. The Swift Diesel will always have a special place in my heart.
A small trivia- The engine in the Swift is actually a 90 hp Multijet engine, detuned to 75. The internals of 90 and 75 are very much different.
Attached Thumbnails
Current-gen Swift production ends-ea25024697a44835baef4360845e90de.jpeg  

rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 08:47   #38
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimoo View Post
Is that the gear lever from the Baleno/Ciaz?
Yes, it is from the ciaz and is a direct fit. You can ask the MASS to get it fixed, it costed around 400 for the knob.
bkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 12:00   #39
BHPian

I have a 2008 model VDi (ABS), 146k kms and still going strong. It been with me everywhere from the chilling Himalayas to the desert to the coast and still going strong, now serving as my wife's daily drive.

The appeal of the car is such that my wife preferred a 10 year old swift to an year old Alto K10.

The pic below is my favorite shots of the Swift, titled 'Reflections at 0ft.
(PS for those balking at the salt water, I had the car underbody jet washed thoroughly before heading home)
Attached Thumbnails
Current-gen Swift production ends-img_3990.jpg  

varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 14:59   #40
BHPian

We still have the 2008 VDi with ABS, has done about 80k kms and still feels like new. Its still the preferred car for city commute and everyone wants to drive it

Has been driven around on almost every possible terrain and I don't know of another vehicle that can take this kind of abuse and still feel like new.

Not even thinking of replacing it anytime soon !!!
shrk_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 15:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Mods, please rename the thread as "A tribute to the 2nd gen Swift". Such is the sentiments flowing here, and I can sense that they are true to their heart. People love Swift than any other car in India.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 1st January 2018 at 15:41.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 18:38   #42
BHPian

What a glorious chapter of a brand. It's like a constantly pulling freight train.

Just like other stories here, almost every fourth household in our hometown / district had either a swift or an alto. Most folks in rural areas went for Marutis anyway and this was their small car. Their owners abused it but loved it, drove it crazy distances and always had that absolute confidence that it won't fail them regardless of the environment.

Personally, I never felt quite comfortable in the front seat (hence went with the Figo) but it's always been amazing watching the sales and also the ardent following this brand triggers.

I am really looking forward to the new Swift and how it's going to set the charts on fire.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 19:15   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
A small trivia- The engine in the Swift is actually a 90 hp Multijet engine, detuned to 75. The internals of 90 and 75 are very much different.
From what I know, the Swifts had the FGT & the 90 PS engines had the VGT.
Sheel is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 19:59   #44
BHPian

Whenever I drove the Swift around some beautiful winding roads, I always cursed Suzuki for not launching the Sport version with the high revving M16A that made its peak power at 6900 RPM and revved till 7200 RPM. That nimble chassis deserved the best engine in the portfolio. Launching the Swift Sport at a mouth watering price would have been the best gift to the Indians for showing so much love and support to the Swift brand, but the Japanese as usual love to wave a finger at us (not to forget, the compromised structure and other safety features).

The rumour that the Sport 1.4 is going to be launched here is good and it will be much more practical than the 1.6 NA, but it will never be able to replace the fun offered by such an engine when driving on the limits.

The new Dzire is already selling like hot cakes, the new Swift I assume will sell as much. Let the long waiting periods begin ŗ la 2011.
theredliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2018, 20:02   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

We had the current gen for 3 years!

Current-gen Swift production ends-p1040719.jpg

And it was simply brilliant. One of those rare cars where both the head and the heart go out for a drink together. All the driving pleasure and speed one needs for the heart together with the reliability and resale needed for the head.

My exit interview can be found here: 3 years and 52000 kms of sheer joy!.

What was severely lacking however was the sense of security and safety even though we had the Z variant.

Hope Suzuki fixes that with the new platform. Though I am not too confident given the feather-light nature of the HEARTECT platform. And also without dialing down the fun factor in search of the so called "practicality". The Swift has to be FUN with a capital F, U and N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
People love Swift than any other car in India.
Owners of the Dzire and Baleno may have something to say about that statement nowadays.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote