Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Do you insist on genuine spare parts always?
Yes, even if it means it costs more. 140 83.33%
No, anything will do so long as it works and costs less 25 14.88%
Dont have the liberty of original spares. 3 1.79%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th November 2012, 10:49   #61
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Default Re: Do you insist on genuine spare parts always?

The advantages for going original spares outweigh the disadvantages.

In the extreme case, no SA would come to you saying "Warranty Void because of this spare".
Peace of Mind. Assume ones mind who runs on aftermarket disk pads
If you are running on Chinese tyres and if something happens, what would run through ones mind.

Its always safe to go by the manufacturer spares. It would protect you In the extreme case. and the most important is You wouldnt repent saying, i should have gone for Original spares. My $0.02
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 20:22   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I totally agree... Please pack the fake parts in Domino's pizza boxes so we definitely know we are buying fakes - but then the fake stuff manufacturers aren't listening!

Agreed. Just because my car came from the factory with JK tyres doesn't mean I'll always fit JK when it's time to change.

Sorry to bump up this thread.

Given that some A.S.S. do rip off (ARTICLE: Common SCAMS Encountered on Indian Roads - A Compendium) the customer either in terms of (un)-intentional mis-diagnosis, or in terms of exorbitant prices for spare parts, one is always on the look-out for a second opinion about the problem and a secondary source for the spares.

Regarding the spares themselves, it is common knowledge that the supply chain costs from manufacturer/OEM to dealer are a significant portion of the cost of spares at the A.S.S. (so typically an example of cost plus pricing). When the same manufacturer sells these parts in the open market, these supply chain costs are not passed on. The market pricing mechanisms take over and there is some rationalization of pricing as a result.

I have been introduced to a few spare parts shops which have built a reputation around sourcing genuine parts.

But having said that, for critical spares (e.g. timing belt) for many of us , one cannot have true peace of mind, unless it really comes from an authorised center. I am not saying that the reputed spare parts shops selling manufacturer genuine parts aren't for real. Far from it.

What is unsaid is that when one goes and buys critical spares such as a timing belt from such a spare parts shop - where is the assurance of parts quality? The question will come back to haunt: "Is this part different in tolerances , than what the manufacturer sells through the dealer network?" Other than inspecting his invoices, and enquiring with his suppliers (both impractical), there is no sure-fire way to find out. So it boils down to trust , word-of-mouth, and that there has been no obvious fingers pointed at him by your trusted mechanic.

Not that the A.S.S. is holier-than-thou in this respect, but at least the manufacturer has the authority to subject the dealer to audits. And that alone is probably the reason why, there is a certain peace of mind when one buys a critical spare part from A.S.S..
Some A.S.S. feed on this fear- and , will refuse to make a counter-sale for spare parts - insisting instead that the work be done at premises. A catch 22 - because, one does not have assurance of skills at the dealership.

A question that naturally arises as what qualified as critical and what did not? And the answer probably differs depending on who was asked. For me, any part that can have a catastrophic effect on the functioning of the car qualifies as critical. The timing belt qualifies. If it fails , the engine will seize.

Having said that, what about consumables - example - engine oils, power steering fluid, transaxle oil etc or even tyres (SST's point). While these meet the test of criticality, they can still be substituted by products from some other manufacturer , who has proven that his product performs equally or better than OEM. Case in point - Engine oil. Now all car manufacturers supply their own version of engine oil through their outlets. All these engine oils have a certain SAE rating. As long as Castrol or Mobil's products meet the SAE rating, and have been independently certified (e.g. using ASTM pre-prescribed standards) one is assured of the product's efficacy.

Note I am not offering a solution, or what I would do. I am just presenting a point of view.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 21:35   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Aparts it is all the time. The good part of owning a Maruti Suzuki product is the spares come cheap as well. S they say buy it either from a Maruti authorized spare part dealer or at MASS for absolute peace of mind!

This wasnt the case always.
In 2006 my wife was given a brand new Swift by the company. That variant came with only the RH wing mirror on account of Maruti's cost cutting and differentiation between variants.
I immediately went and got a fresh new LH wing mirror from MGP and had it fitted. The price was Rs 3500/-. Now the same mirror costs only about Rs 1200 or less...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2014, 15:37   #64
BANNED

Default Savings or Safety- Skoda After-Market Spares cost difference

With High cost of Skoda original spares at dealers plus labour, What parts can be rep1laced by cheaper Taiwanese or Chinese after market ones which are about 50% cheaper, In Bangalore, I have seen one dedicated Car cleaning center maintaining/servicing only Skoda/VW cars, Parts are bought once issue is diagnosed.

How safe are these and leaving major engine parts & brakes what parts are worth fitting.

I recently got a Radiator fan replaced for 7 K instead of the 20K estimate of service center.

Last edited by GTO : 1st December 2014 at 14:59. Reason: Typos
YVES is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 30th November 2014, 22:07   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Savings or Safety- Skoda After-Market Spares cost difference

I think there should be absolutely no substitute for OEM for any part in a vehicle, however critical.

Locally made, counterfeit or those salvaged from total loss vehicles will never have the integrity of original parts manufactured/authorized by the manufacturer.

And using those over OEM is simply not worth the risk.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th November 2014 at 22:09.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 08:31   #66
BHPian

My 2 cents:
I think if something is not a critical components like Injectors, FIP (Fuel Injection Pump) etc, we can think of purchasing from outside.
I don't see any point in buying everything from Skoda/VW ASS, because they charge ridiculously high than the actual cost. For example Skoda charged me 5K for left hand side (only one) rear view mirror. I sincerely feel (earlier I worked with Indian Auto major) that should not cost anything more than 2.5K
I think we can buy non critical components like bumpers, mirrors, Wipers, bulbs, break pads, battery, logo, wind shield etc. May be other BHPian's (especially Skoda/VW car users) can add to this list.

Last edited by hillsnrains : 1st December 2014 at 08:55.
hillsnrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 11:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I think there should be absolutely no substitute for OEM for any part in a vehicle, however critical.

Locally made, counterfeit or those salvaged from total loss vehicles will never have the integrity of original parts manufactured/authorized by the manufacturer.

And using those over OEM is simply not worth the risk.
The difference in pricing is not always because of inferior specification of material or poor engineering.

We have pricing for spares done by honchos so that it generates all the profits for the automaker. (which means very high margin on the cost of the item)
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:01   #68
BANNED

Having a Skoda for past 7 years, the costs shoot up after 4 years and on the bad Indian Roads it takes toll on the machine,
Any service part related to Engine should be done at service centers.
If the fault is found correctly for non Engine component then one can try with After market spares,
I have seen Octavias where even engine parts are sourced from outside and replaced, including AC Compressors and they are doing fine.

I have seen new Polos/Ventos/Rapids in Bangalore been serviced ouside authorized service centers , with parts imported, offcourse there is a wait period and car is in Garage for a week or so
YVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:14   #69
BHPian

Even i own a 6 years old Fabia. The ASC are literally looting with the spare parts price, but that is the major source of their income. Getting a regual service from these guys is a headache and a big hole in your pocket Hence even i think that as long as critical parts are concerned, one should go for the OEM option. For the critical parts as fuel pumps or filters etc. one can buy them personally and get them fitted from a local garage.
allien936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:17   #70
BANNED

It costs 80K for a AC compressor replacement in Skoda Octavia
50 K for Oil/Water Pump ,Timing Belt replacement in Fabia
40 K for clutch replacement in Fabia and 20 K for just replacing a Radiator Fan,
All above rates including Labor.
I got the topup of AC Gas and Radiator Fan replaced for 8K, even if it fails after 2 years its worth the saving if one keeps close watch on the operation of the Fan in this case.
YVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:50   #71
Team-BHP Support

I think we are assuming that only no name brand chinese parts are cheap.
But its a fact, that the same OEM part (eg Alternator) costs 3X in India.
For example OEM Bosch alternator is 18000 when imported independently, and 48000 when bought from Dealership.

Many independent garages import parts from Europe(Genuine parts) which work out cheaper than buying from Authorized dealership.
tsk1979 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 12:55   #72
BHPian

It is a serious let down for potential buyers like me. Now I think I have to re-examine the decision of buying Skoda Rapid.

It is practically not possible for me to take time out of my official hours all the time running around for the spares and get it done in a local garage. Further I don not have great technical knowledge about the cars and do not want to get screwed with the local garage guys as well.

Once in a while visiting a local garage is ok but not on a regular basis.

Really do not know which car manufacturer is cheap on A.S.S. It is definitely not Hyundai, because I have experience with them for my i10. So who else, our great Maruti is the only left over option!!!.

Last edited by rki2007 : 1st December 2014 at 12:57.
rki2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 13:00   #73
Team-BHP Support

I'd not recommend going for cheaper spares, go for alternatives only if alternate branded options are available. In case of Skoda cars, i am Ok to pay for cost of genuine spares, it's just the extra charges and inflated labour bills scare me, what kind of job do they do charge 6k++ for labour for a work of under 2 hours( I am talking about Radiator replacement). Find a competent Garage but source only Genuine spares.

I have been there, done that with my Hyundai Accent in past, trust me Genuine Spares leagues apart when it comes quality and longevity, and more importantly with genuine spares you retain the dependability of your vehicle.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2014, 15:31   #74
BHPian

Default Re: Savings or Safety- Skoda After-Market Spares cost difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think we are assuming that only no name brand chinese parts are cheap.
But its a fact, that the same OEM part (eg Alternator) costs 3X in India.
For example OEM Bosch alternator is 18000 when imported independently, and 48000 when bought from Dealership.

Many independent garages import parts from Europe(Genuine parts) which work out cheaper than buying from Authorized dealership.
Agreed. I have changed AC relay at local garage (imported from EU) and AC Compresser spares manufactured by Denso at much lower price compared to A.S.S.
kunaldhami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2014, 19:58   #75
BHPian

Skoda spares - of OEM quality - are available all over Europe from Skoda/VW vendor themselves. Injectors, turbos, fans, intercoolers - whatever. Importing them legally - all duties paid - works out much cheaper than getting them replaced at A**. I myself imported a turbo for my Laura from Garrett (the OE vendor for Laura's turbo) in Germany. Landed part cost with all taxes paid plus shipping was 42k. Skoda A** was quoting 1.2 lakhs for the part alone. Labor and VAT extra.

Just that you have to know precisely what is on the car and invest time in finding the right OE vendor. While finding the right source for the turbo I found that Europe itself is flooded with parts of Chinese make.

To give you an idea of how ridiculous Skoda A**'s spare part pricing is - a friend's Laura met with a major accident and initial estimate from Skoda was 23L for the parts cost (labor extra). The car was originally bought for 18.7 lakhs.

Last edited by Cesc : 3rd December 2014 at 20:01.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote