BHPian

Default Mercedes-Benz overtakes Nissan in sales in India

Hilarious stuff, read further:

Quote:

– Nissan’s sales fall further in 2017, a total of 12,936 units sold
– Mercedes-Benz, selling over 15,000 units, overtakes Nissan in 2017 ranking
– Nissan’s ageing products and poor pricing strategy to blame
– Limited product range for the masses comprises of Micra, Sunny and Terrano
I mean what’s up? Never thought I’ll come across such news. A luxury car maker has finally overtaken a mass market car maker!

Nissan is the maker of GT-R. One of the all time legendary cars. If a company like FCA can make a turn around, surely can Nissan do the same. Hell, even it’s cousin Renault is doing well. I remember when the first gen Micra was launched, I was instantly in love with it. Ever since then it’s all been downhill. As proved again and again, the most important part is to sell a competent, solid car.

Not a “stylish” version of Duster.

Name:  773E4A23EA3C4019BEEBC08FD257FBB7.jpeg
Views: 2844
Size:  50.1 KB

Source : Motorbeam (https://www.motorbeam.com/2017-nissa...es-beats-them/)

Last edited by The Brutailer : 19th January 2018 at 00:32.
The Brutailer is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 09:40   #2
BHPian

Default re: Mercedes-Benz overtakes Nissan in sales in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
..A luxury car maker has finally overtaken a mass market car maker!...
Hilarious yes, but the numbers are not at all surprising. Given the appeal that German cars have in India and what Nissan has been doing with its range of cars; this was bound to happen at some point.

Not to be unkind to Sunny admirers/owners (my wife is one of the admirers as well). I remember the test drive of Sunny that I took, the disappointment of driving a poor product was immediate. The brakes were spongy and gearshift imprecise and turning radius huge! Before that drive I was in in awe of Nissan as a brand and Sunny as a product, but no more.

While it could be just that most Indians have been brought up on Maruti and always dreamed about Mercedes, other brands have a tough time meeting expectations in either direction; Nissan has to re-engineer itself unless it wants to go the way Peugeot did in India.
varunsangal is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 10:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

But that's like saying Apple iPhone's sales in India have crossed Panasonic smartphone sales

Doesn't really mean anything.
smartcat is online now   (20) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 10:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
But that's like saying Apple iPhone's sales in India have crossed Panasonic smartphone sales
Well, almost there !!

The Toyota Innova Crysta is OUTSELLING the much cheaper Maruti Ertiga: Here’s why

Quote:
.....The Toyota Innova Crysta starts from Rs. 13.92 lakh while the Maruti Ertiga starts from just Rs. 6.34 lakhs. Yet, the Innova Crysta has outsold the Ertiga in 2017.....
paragsachania is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 10:34   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even more hilarious is Mustang outselling all the Abarths in India. Its all about what the consumer wants and the brand positioning. While I might personally prefer a Volvo, all the folks in home associate luxury with Mercedes. Yes, you can have the BMW or the Audi to have fun, but the Mercedes brand is a strong pull. Just like every bottled water = Bisleri, or every photocopy machine a Xerox, luxury car = Mercedes (At least for the majority out there).
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 11:15   #6
BHPian

Nissan has no one but themselves to blame. They have such amazing products in their portfolio in other markets but they put all their eggs in the Terrano basket. Good for them. While people may tease the Indian market for being cheap and fuel conscious, they should also know that it's a market that heavily punishes lethargy. Any brand that isn't in your face at ALL times loses its market share quickly.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 11:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Even more hilarious is Mustang outselling all the Abarths in India. Its all about what the consumer wants and the brand positioning. While I might personally prefer a Volvo, all the folks in home associate luxury with Mercedes. Yes, you can have the BMW or the Audi to have fun, but the Mercedes brand is a strong pull. Just like every bottled water = Bisleri, or every photocopy machine a Xerox, luxury car = Mercedes (At least for the majority out there).
Wasn't the case 2-3 years back. Audi with its Q7/Q5/Q3 set the sales chart on fire. BMW had 5 series and Mercedes was happy at third place. Mercedes were always known for plush interiors and great ride quality however it was only folk's in their 40's 50's used to prefer and the youngsters were more inclined towards Bimmer and Audi. Off late Mercedes cars have become aspirational and stylish. The bimmers have started to look a bit awkward and Audi design are boring. If anything that has to be credited to sales of Mercedes it has to be its designers than the brand!
PrideRed is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 12:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Nissan has no one but themselves to blame.
Well said.

When Sunny was launched with the USP 'acres of rear space' & 'balanced k9k potential' it was supposed to be a hot cake in the segment except for the dull and bland interiors (& styling) Days passed and every other car in market came up or beat the so called USP of sunny and Nissan failed to get something interesting. Still advertising the 'caaaar' with new color combinations can never get their sales figure crossing 3 digits.

Decade old Micra is due for replacement and we get nothing more than a color change and bumper change.
Mr.Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 12:59   #9
BHPian

My uncle who worked for Border Roads got posted in some of the most difficult terrains in India. He would swear by Jonga's power which had Nissan engines. Sad to see the state of that company in India now.
Turbopetrol is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 13:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nissan Micra - Launched in 2010
Nissan Sunny - Launched 2011
Nissan Terrano - Launched 2013

Need I say more?

And the Datsun siblings aren't helping either.

A look at their portfolio, gives you an impression that they completely misread the Indian market as the one where they can dump and run older cars / platforms with lipstick and makeup.

They even thought we will gobble up cheap but inferior products (read the tin can Go siblings).

I guess, we have given them the answer.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 13:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Nissan seems to only be putting lipstick on turds of late. No matter how much you polish a turd, it'll still be a turd.

It doesn't help them that their after sales service is out of whack too. They need a flurry of new launches or else they'll soon go the Chevy way.

It is really surprising that a brand that sells more cars than Honda in the US is doing so poorly here. Clearly shows they don't seem to care about the Indian market.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 19th January 2018 at 13:51.
reignofchaos is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 17:01   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

And they are trying to appoint a dealer at my place. The guy was baiting on me to be one and the conversation was over phone, he could only confirm Kicks as the next launch which has already been done by Renault, it isn’t moving, so we can very well imagine what will happen with a Nissan.

There are so many brilliant products in Nissan worldwide website, right strategies and planning will help them, but appears they are lost and aren’t willing to look over what Renault is launching...why have a separate entity then...?
Sheel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 13:16   #13
BHPian

Absolutely agree with all those posts about Nissan being a lacklustre performer in India.
Very surprising that they have been unable to grab a decent share of the Indian market space in spite of being an automobile giant globally .
Hope they do pull up their socks and put some heads together!

But let me say one thing. Whenever anyone gets a chance, grab the 110 BHP Terrano and floor it on an open road. The last thing you would be thinking of at that time would be Nissan's market strategy, product portfolio, rebadging exercise etc .
Nalin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:06   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz overtakes Nissan in sales in India

Above the points already listed, let's not forget the dismal manner in which Nissan treats its owners. I don't know of a SINGLE Nissan owner in India who would buy a Nissan again. And that includes me.

First, they outsourced their entire dealer & service network to Hover (a bunch of crooks). Then, when they got the dealerships back into the fold, the incompetent management still couldn't keep customers happy.

The sales & service experience is as poor as Skodas, but in a different way (without the fraud). Nissan is now a damaged brand on the street. If you ask me for my honest opinion, they should just exit India. Renault & Datsun have both overtaken Nissan in sales.

Unless Nissan brings a game-changing or extraordinary product (an awesome compact SUV, a practical electric car etc.), there is no way it can compete in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
turning radius huge!
Untrue. Its turning radius is 5.3 meters which is about the same as other sedans of a similar length.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:56   #15
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes-Benz overtakes Nissan in sales in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If you ask me for my honest opinion, they should just exit India. Renault & Datsun have both overtaken Nissan in sales.
One hundred percent agreed. I believe they themselves are pretty confused as much as we customers are. They don’t know exactly where they fit in the market. Where Datsun is somehow managing in the economic segment, Renault wants to project itself as a luxury brand. Even Renault and Datsun are crossing path with Kwid and Datsun Cross.
When they or rather if they bring in X-trail; that would be the highest priced and most luxurious offering from the group. This would even confuse the market more. No wonder they have discontinued the Teana. Moreover, they are not bringing in the face lifted Micra or Sunny to Indian market.
I am getting a feeling that they would slowly disappear from Indian market along with the current gen Micra, handing over to Datsun completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I don't know of a SINGLE Nissan owner in India who would buy a Nissan again. And that includes me.
That includes me too. Even if we want, Nissan has no product to offer .
Lately, I have noticed, if there is a "Nissan" word in any thread, that generally ends with ranting of Nissan owners. It speaks of the brand value.
PetrolRider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote