Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 10th June 2007, 12:16   #91
Awaiting Email Confirmation

How I had hoped that they would not water down the power of the OPTRA by using the cheaper version of the turbo charger found in the CAPTIVA. So now I will have to wait for another year to get hold of the FIAT LINEA.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
drpullockaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 12:31   #92
BHPian

My car delivered postponed to tomorrow :(.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 12:35   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Interesting comparison with international spec...I think this is the first a car is been launched here in India without being detuned at all...
That torque figure is quite intimidating..Imagine what will happen if Pete's plonks its box in this...

There's no ad of the magnum in TOI delhi....!

High torue hould make city driving easy but the huge turbo lag will play a negative effect. They should hv worked hard on turbo lag... No point have huge torgue when the car is very slow off the block...
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 13:52   #94
BHPian

hmm, looks good really good; launching in kolkata tomorrow.
cant wait for my test drive.
SX4 on the backburner for now.
AB.
babhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 15:23   #95
Senior - BHPian

OMG! 314 N-m of Torque!!!! Went past the Octy TDi by a mile, I must say! That too at 2125 rpm! Droooll, and I thought the Swift DDiS was torquey at 190 N-m at 1900 rpm.

But, here's a thought. It's class leading torque figures alright, but how much torque, how much lower down do you really need? While I can understand low gear tractability, with insane loads, great FE, even while doing a 15 degree gradient, with AC, on full. But, majority of the time spent by a car anywhere in the country is usually in a traffic jam. In that case, the Optra will spend a lot of time around it's peak torque. Optras will probably be faster in traffic than anybody else. People will be upto speed in really short time. Also expect them to wear brake pads a lot faster, since they will have to be on the brakes a lot. So are people ready for it? Do we really need so much torque for a passenger sedan? For comparison, the Ford Endeavour, who does sort of reasonable job offline, makes 285 N-m of torque at 2000 rpm. My Swift makes a measly 113 N-m of torque at 4500 rpm, and at worst of the loads, around 3000 rpm is good enough to get out of it.

P.S.: Does anybody know what the PCD for Optra is? And the offset? The diesel runs on 15x6J steel wheels, sounds like a good upgrade for my Swift. At 1100 bucks a steel rim for brand new.

Last edited by ported_head : 10th June 2007 at 15:26.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 15:31   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
OMG! 314 N-m of Torque!!!! Went past the Octy TDi by a mile, I must say! That too at 2125 rpm! Droooll, and I thought the Swift DDiS was torquey at 190 N-m at 1900 rpm.

Exactly my thoughts..!! Imagine if Petes comes up with a box for this then the torque figures would be hovering around 360Nm
But i'm still waiting for an extensive ripped TD report from someone here....

As Rodeo says there's some turbo lag which is quite possible but at 2000+ rpm the neck breaking torque should kick in real hard....

Last edited by kpzen : 10th June 2007 at 15:32.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 15:44   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

But, here's a thought. It's class leading torque figures alright, but how much torque, how much lower down do you really need? While I can understand low gear tractability, with insane loads, great FE, even while doing a 15 degree gradient, with AC, on full. But, majority of the time spent by a car anywhere in the country is usually in a traffic jam. In that case, the Optra will spend a lot of time around it's peak torque. Optras will probably be faster in traffic than anybody else. People will be upto speed in really short time. Also expect them to wear brake pads a lot faster, since they will have to be on the brakes a lot. So are people ready for it? Do we really need so much torque for a passenger sedan? For comparison, the Ford Endeavour, who does sort of reasonable job offline, makes 285 N-m of torque at 2000 rpm. My Swift makes a measly 113 N-m of torque at 4500 rpm, and at worst of the loads, around 3000 rpm is good enough to get out of it.

P.S.: Does anybody know what the PCD for Optra is? And the offset? The diesel runs on 15x6J steel wheels, sounds like a good upgrade for my Swift. At 1100 bucks a steel rim for brand new.
pcd is 114 same as zen and esteem.
jesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:12   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
pcd is 114 same as zen and esteem.
114.3 to be precise, Swift is 100.

Other 114.3 are Zen, Esteem, SX4(with 5 nuts) & BMW's and Mercs, in short this PCD is become a manufacturer favourite.

Quote:
Imagine if Petes comes up with a box for this then the torque figures would be hovering around 360Nm
You bet, and power around 150bhp so do we need a petrol vRS with FE < 10? Its going to hit a ton in less then what the RS does.

Quote:
As Rodeo says there's some turbo lag which is quite possible but at 2000+ rpm the neck breaking torque should kick in real hard....
Well change of driving style can eliminate it totally, my Swift i never feel turbolag, since i keep it in the range of 2000 mostly, but i prefer to be in the lag range so when the turbo kicks in i get kick myself and the car takes off.

Whats the torque to weight of the Optra and the Swift(just for comparision)

Quote:
Also expect them to wear brake pads a lot faster, since they will have to be on the brakes a lot.
Gm realises that and is giving 4 wheel discs standard along the whole range unlike MUL which they should have atleast given optional on the VDi, its a must, the rear locks up most of the time. Brakes of the Swift are poor even with ABS and 195 Michelins.

Quote:
Do we really need so much torque for a passenger sedan?
If GM had detuned the engine for the reasons you mentioned ported then i am sure a few members including me would be cribbing that GM is taking us for a ride, but its a good thing they are not and i am glad to know there is atleast one manufacture who launches cars in India better then the international specs

Quote:
How I had hoped that they would not water down the power of the OPTRA by using the cheaper version of the turbo charger found in the CAPTIVA. So now I will have to wait for another year to get hold of the FIAT LINEA.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Arre Dr Sahab, i can assure you they have not watered down the power of the Optra, everywhere else in the world the car comes with the lesser torque butt in India they are giving it in a better state of tune, and be assured and i can bet you on this the Linea wont be coming with more then 90bhp, so the Optra seems to be a very good bet, just test drive it and i am sure you want be dissapointed, with petes it can give upto 150bhp
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:16   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Do we really need so much torque for a passenger sedan?
Odd comment, especially from a mod The Sonata CRDi makes similar numbers, so do C220s and Lauras I guess. An M5 is still a passenger sedan right
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:21   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and Lauras I guess.
No, Laura's dont make that much of torque, the 300NM and above torque club membership is enjoyed by the Safari Dicor, Sonata Embera, Mercedes 220CDI and now the Optra Magnum. The Laura's engine is well nothing to talk about after these engines have been launched.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:34   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey View Post
Odd comment, especially from a mod The Sonata CRDi makes similar numbers, so do C220s and Lauras I guess. An M5 is still a passenger sedan right
The Optra D is supposed to reach out to the masses more than the others. People who will buy it, will be looking for alternatives to Fiesta D, Verna D, etc. Not as an alternative to the Cs and the 3s. People who buy the M5 for a reason, not because it has four doors, as many as the Mondeo.

My point is, for something that will be used for regular city commute or even practical commute, the torque figures seem like an overkill. I am all for more powerful and torquier engines, but I'm not sure how much I want to ferry my father around.
ported_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:49   #102
BHPian

The 0 -100 timing mentioned in the ad is 9.8 seconds..how does it compare with Skoda TDI / rs, fiesta D and verna d ?
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 17:53   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w 12 View Post
The 0 -100 timing mentioned in the ad is 9.8 seconds..how does it compare with Skoda TDI / rs, fiesta D and verna d ?
Skoda does in 13.8 secs, fiesta in 16.5, verna in 11.XX secs.. so its gr8

Last edited by abhibh : 10th June 2007 at 17:55.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 19:59   #104
BHPian

And I'd like to see this baby in the SRV. With Pete's box. might be awesome
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 21:06   #105
BHPian

Just got home from a short test drive of the Magnum Diesel (The new petrol version is also going to be badged magnum).

Dealer: Regent Auto, Mathura Road.

They had both the trims available for drives.

LT- Cashmere Beige (The One i drove today)
LS- Icy Blue ( only new colour available)

Initial Thoughts:

ENGINE: Turbo lag is definitely evident and the car feels quite lethargic between idle and just a shade under 2000.

Past 2000 rpm is another stroy altogether, the thrust is truly outstanding and really feels like tiger has been let out of the cage.

Keep her between 2000 and around 5500( close to redline) and the car will definitely keep you smiling.

And althought this would make for some real spirited driving on highways but a tad irritating in stop go traffic.

I managed to take it to about 125 on mathura road and the the car felt extremely composed.

RIDE AND HANDLING: Handling vastly improved over the petrol 1.6 that i drive, could be solely attributed to the new wheels and tyre setup.
Ride not bad at all, soaked up potholes efficiently.

AIRCONDITIONING: Quite ordinary, but then again must have been close to 45 degrees this afternoon so not bad keeping that in mind.

However, with the modified round vents, i felt that it was quite noisy even at speed 3, speed 4 was quite unbearable. Could be cause the new vent are actually much smaller than the earleir rectangular ones.

CLUTCH AND GEARBOX: Quite a lightweight clutch and extremely comfortable.

Gearbox, extremely notchy and needs to be slotted carefully. Reverse i now in (right and down) Unlike petrols (left and up).

BRAKING: She stopped quite surely and felt extremely safe. Moe spirited driving would probably bring out some flaws.

To summarise i would say GM has quite played the cards right with this one.

The showroom had still not received the On Road Prices for the car.

Ex showroom: LS- approx 8.99 LT- 9.99

(An estimate would be around 75k on top for On Road)

They have the stocks and should be able to deliver by 15th or before depending on RTO Approval.

Feel free to ask if you want to know anything else in particular.
girishg is offline   Reply With Quote