Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2018, 16:22   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 335
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

Tiguan has flopped at because of it's pricing but the CRV offers better value in most way(besides the panoramic roof, hope they get that in) hence it should sell well even if priced at par. However, Honda should perhaps try and undercut the Tiguan by maybe a lakh to really see volumes flow in.
Last time that I had read about Tiguan, it had sold all the pieces it had got to India and there was still some bookings that were to be catered too.

I may be wrong, that's what I had read.
malgudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 19:06   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,347
Thanked: 2,601 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Last time that I had read about Tiguan, it had sold all the pieces it had got to India and there was still some bookings that were to be catered too.

I may be wrong, that's what I had read.
They have sold barely 500 Tiguans in 6 months. I wouldn't call double-digit sales a month any success in the SUV segment
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 22:34   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,402
Thanked: 1,008 Times
Default Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
They have sold barely 500 Tiguans in 6 months. I wouldn't call double-digit sales a month any success in the SUV segment

Man. I wonder whether they're giving good discounts if that's the case, knock off a lakh or so and it's a darn good buy.

Last edited by Axe77 : 13th February 2018 at 22:39.
Axe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 14:49   #49
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,797
Thanked: 1,586 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
They have sold barely 500 Tiguans in 6 months. I wouldn't call double-digit sales a month any success in the SUV segment
True, but look at the pricing - it was destined to be a failure at launch it self, so its commendable they've got the numbers right and managed to clear their 2017 stock in time.

The CR-V has to be priced in Tucson territory, and needs to be positioned as an Urban SUV - something that would make D Segment sedans fight it out.
Given the road conditions, a lot of people are considering Cross-overs and SUVs over sedans!
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 15:02   #50
BHPian
 
ece2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 487
Thanked: 269 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
The CR-V has to be priced in Tucson territory, and needs to be positioned as an Urban SUV - something that would make D Segment sedans fight it out.
Given the road conditions, a lot of people are considering Cross-overs and SUVs over sedans!
While it would be awesome if CRV is priced in the Tucson territory, I think Honda is going to price it at a premium. Last gen 5 seater crv petrol that has less number of features costs a couple of lakhs more than diesel Tucson. Since the new crv is going to be a 5+2 seater diesel that is a lot more feature loaded, I wouldn't be surprised if the price gap widens further.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 14th February 2018 at 15:04.
ece2k2 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 15:05   #51
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,797
Thanked: 1,586 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
While it would be awesome if CRV is priced in the Tucson territory, I think Honda is going to price it at a premium. Last gen 5 seater crv petrol that has less number of features costs a couple of lakhs more than diesel Tucson. Since the new crv is going to be a 5+2 seater diesel that is a lot more feature loaded, I wouldn't be surprised if the price gap widens further.
True, but anything higher and we are talking of Tiguan territory - IMO nicer looking interiors, more premium styling, better engine, etc.
But then again - it's honda! People bought the Accord Hybrid at 40L ex-showroom!
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 10:19   #52
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: On the X-Lanes
Posts: 5,797
Thanked: 32,194 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Honda Cars India has opened the official homepage of the 2018 CR-V.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/AllNewCRV/

Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018-crv1.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 08:12   #53
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,347
Thanked: 2,601 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

It’s high time Honda gives some approx timelines of launch!
Any insider scoops on this?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2018, 10:19   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: HR 51/HR 29
Posts: 548
Thanked: 1,102 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Really don't think the CRV will work at anything more than Tucson prices. And even at that, low three digit monthly numbers will be considered a success. At the 25L and above price point, customers always have the option of putting in a few lakh extra to buy something they really want. Utility, image and bad road ability seekers will always head straight to the nearest Toyota or Ford showroom. Those looking for something more posh and with performance and snob badge prefer the BMW X1. Rest of the competition is left with only crumbs to play with.

This is a hard reality. CRV's as well as Honda's brand value is also no longer what it was a decade back. They really need to come up with shock prices, at least initially. Otherwise, they may very well do a Tiguan or Accord and call selling off their tinny annual quota a win

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 24th February 2018 at 10:21.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 13:32   #55
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 360
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

[quote=Shreyans_Jain;4362153]Really don't think the CRV will work at anything more than Tucson prices...

...25-30 lakhs on road will make this a huge hit. I will not be surprised to see it hitting 3 digits in monthly sales at this price point!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 27th February 2018 at 09:16. Reason: Trimming quoted post for improved readability
rutvij is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 16:41   #56
BHPian
 
Maddy3008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

For a layman, what does the CR-V offer more than the XUV5OO W10 AT AWD ? I was discussing this with a friend, and he only said that the CR-V will be costiler to maintain than the XUV5OO. I had to agree with him here.

With the 170hp version, Mahindra will have a powerful 7-seater SUV with a huge fan-following already built. I do not see how CR-V and Tucson are going to compete with the Jeep Compass and XUV5OO if the pricing of these SUV's is steeper than say 10-15% as compared to XUV or Compass.
Maddy3008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2018, 17:15   #57
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,116
Thanked: 6,842 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy3008 View Post
For a layman, what does the CR-V offer more than the XUV5OO W10 AT AWD ? I was discussing this with a friend, and he only said that the CR-V will be costiler to maintain than the XUV5OO. I had to agree with him here.

With the 170hp version, Mahindra will have a powerful 7-seater SUV with a huge fan-following already built. I do not see how CR-V and Tucson are going to compete with the Jeep Compass and XUV5OO if the pricing of these SUV's is steeper than say 10-15% as compared to XUV or Compass.
One look at the CR-V in the flesh should change your mind.

Whilst the XUV is a damn good product, the sheer build quality and overall finish of the CR-V, would be enough to convince anyone why the CR-V commands a premium.

The interior for starters is a proper step up from the old CR-V, and the ride / handling of the Honda will be far more accomplished than a XUV.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time comparing two cars where the price difference is 15 lakh!

It's like saying that the Range Rover Vogue is a waste of money when you can buy a Volvo XC90 for less than half the price.
suhaas307 is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 17:05   #58
BHPian
 
Maddy3008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 51
Thanked: 139 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
One look at the CR-V in the flesh should change your mind.

Whilst the XUV is a damn good product, the sheer build quality and overall finish of the CR-V, would be enough to convince anyone why the CR-V commands a premium.

The interior for starters is a proper step up from the old CR-V, and the ride / handling of the Honda will be far more accomplished than a XUV.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time comparing two cars where the price difference is 15 lakh!

It's like saying that the Range Rover Vogue is a waste of money when you can buy a Volvo XC90 for less than half the price.
I agree with you Suhas as an enthusiast ! We do care about the finer points of the vehicle which the common man won't. I believe that price is what we pay, value is what we get. My opinion on the pricing of CR-V is from that standpoint. The Indian market has already voted with its wallet, where the VFM offerings like XUV and Compass are selling well, whereas Tucson is struggling. I agree Hexa is an anomaly here (probably because automobiles need both the product AND the service to be good before people can trust a brand).

I also believe that ultimately all of product strategy boils down to pricing, and that pricing will be the key for success of Honda's next few products. This is an effort to try and understand whether this time Honda will position the CR-V as a more utalitarian product than a hedonistic one to garner volumes. CR-V is a terrific product and I really want the SUV market to mature in the 18-25 lakh space. Interesting times ahead
Maddy3008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 17:53   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
nitinralli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,318
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Honda Cars India has opened the official homepage of the 2018 CR-V.

https://www.hondacarindia.com/AllNewCRV/

And now that page is gone Another delay?
nitinralli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 22:23   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 55
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Honda CR-V @ Auto Expo 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
And now that page is gone Another delay?
For a moment, I was wondering if this could be a technique to gauge interest at different price points before launch.

But no, only this link is broken.
You can still see CRV in their product catalogue from Honda India's Home Page.

Last edited by arit.mondal : 27th February 2018 at 22:39.
arit.mondal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda Amaze @ Auto Expo 2018. Now launched at Rs 5.60 lakhs Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 320 20th May 2018 14:38
2018 Hyundai Elite i20 @ Auto Expo 2018 TusharK The Indian Car Scene 26 28th April 2018 05:28
JBM Auto to launch its first electric bus at 2018 Auto Expo TusharK Commercial Vehicles 2 27th November 2017 23:42
Wheelosphere at The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo The Hindu Chennai Auto Expo 2010 udayjani The Indian Car Scene 3 10th October 2010 16:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks