Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 15:36   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 104
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
The Old Accord resale is only 5 lakhs !
my friend bought the old Accord AT, which was run in for 30K KM, for 7.5L in Hyderabad
bhanusrinivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 16:18   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

For me it's still OHC "THE BEST" looker on the roads. Easiest to handle & good FE (around 10-12 in City (1.3) ).

But only concerned area is the cost of maintenance. I had personally seen few instances where it left a big hole on my friend's pocket. That is the reason I dumped my serious consideration of exchanging my Swift to OHC.

If I could afford to those unexpected high maintenance costs, I LOVE TO OWN ONE.

Last edited by Surprise : 29th December 2006 at 16:25.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 16:46   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
narayan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2,772
Thanked: 1,166 Times
Default

the decision to go for any car i feel is a combination of many tangible and intangible factors.

lets look at tangible factors
1) performance
2) mileage
3) ride ( as in comfort )
4) handling
5) interiors
6) driving effort ( in which i include gear shift, turning radius , visibility etc kind of factors )
7) cost of maintenance and repairs including the service experience

intagibles would be
1) image ( perception )
2) ??? ( cant think of any other intangible !! )

now..when we buy a car we need to first tick of among the above points what we actually want and what we are not very keen on. after this, one can start selecting the points on which ones shortlist of cars scores well on. all cars that have a good match between their offering and the buyers preference are then technically a good buy

now comes the crucial decision. what is your budget ?!

basis the budget one can first knock of all cars that are way of the budget. after this you will be left with a few cars , some within budget, some a bit outside budget. now this is where , you can start looking at what are the shortcomings of the car and then weigh them against the budget deficit/excess and take a decision

if we apply this thinking to OHC 1.5/VTEC. lets assume you are in the market for a car and ur priorities are
1) performance
2) handling
3) affordable mileage
4) image
and lets say ur budget is between 3-5 lakhs... CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME ALTERNATIVES TO THE OHC 1.5/VTEC ?

i think all those in this thread who have written off the OHC are probably ones whose priorities are not the above ( or probably they expect more of their cars) AND/OR ppl whose budgets are not bet 3-5 lakhs

so its just a case of matching ones need with what the car offers. as long as theres a perfect fit and its within the budget NO CAR can be written off so easily
narayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 17:10   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
BUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,130
Thanked: 10 Times
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanusrinivas View Post
my friend bought the old Accord AT, which was run in for 30K KM, for 7.5L in Hyderabad
FYI the resale value down south is alwayz higher then in Mumbai
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 05:18   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
mithun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Cochin
Posts: 1,950
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
But then you cant really blame the manufacturers when you see people wanted to put LPG in a GTX!
But even after putting a LPG it'll still have about 90 horses at it's disposal and nothing except power & boot space is lost as a result of LPG fitment !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
You have a reason for the same, or you just like to give statements without substianting your claims?
What I've meant is that hunting for a OHC is really a pain....and also local folks will fluff at you saying that you could've have bought a new Swift with that amount of money.

Nothing more to add up since it will add fuel to fire.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 31st December 2006 at 14:27. Reason: no need for separate posts
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 00:53   #36
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 886
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
But paying about 3-4 lakhs for a 2000/01 OHC is not a feasible idea anyhow, even if the car is in showroom condition !!! I would just rate it as stupid decision....
dude relax !! what are you talking about ?
have you driven a OHC ?
there are so many bhpians out here who would pay 3-4 lakhs for a show room condition OHC.
I would even pay 6 lakhs for a OHC in show room condition...

can you plz explain why it would be a stupid decision to buy a OHC for that price in show room condition ?
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 01:41   #37
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: India
Posts: 4,346
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Very recently, an OHC was sold in our neighbourhoods for 5.75L!!! And that too not a Vtec. Only because the car was kept in Garage and rarely used. THe owner was in Middle east. There were many takers for this price tag.
speedzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 13:50   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Very recently, an OHC was sold in our neighbourhoods for 5.75L!!! And that too not a Vtec. Only because the car was kept in Garage and rarely used. THe owner was in Middle east. There were many takers for this price tag.
It's a fact that after the launch of the NHC a LOT of people are ready to pay that kind of money for well-maintained OHC's. Many feel that the OHC looks & drives better than the NHC (Not that I disagree!!). Infact if they find good condition OHC's for 3.5-4.5L they actually consider them a bargain!! I know of atleast half-a-dozen people who are after me to sell my car to them!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 13:55   #39
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,648 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I know of atleast half-a-dozen people who are after me to sell my car to them!
I guess because they get a 2 in one. They get to experience a boat ride and be sea sick too
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 13:58   #40
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Very recently, an OHC was sold in our neighbourhoods for 5.75L!!! And that too not a Vtec. Only because the car was kept in Garage and rarely used. THe owner was in Middle east. There were many takers for this price tag.
Why wouldnt they wanna pay a lakh or so more and buy an accord instead?
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 14:08   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I guess because they get a 2 in one. They get to experience a boat ride and be sea sick too
Hehehehe laugh all you want Tanveer! New suspension is on the way, hopefully work can start tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Why wouldnt they wanna pay a lakh or so more and buy an accord instead?
Higher Running Costs, Higher Maintenance Costs & also some people might not want that big a car for their daily use.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 23:14   #42
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 886
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Why wouldnt they wanna pay a lakh or so more and buy an accord instead?
because , accord is not a tuner's car. its heavier and bigger in dimensions.
you can get a OHC and put a 1 lakh worth of modifications and you get a real driver's car..
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 01:29   #43
BANNED
 
hellspawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: noida
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 6 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (10)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's a fact that after the launch of the NHC a LOT of people are ready to pay that kind of money for well-maintained OHC's. Many feel that the OHC looks & drives better than the NHC (Not that I disagree!!). Infact if they find good condition OHC's for 3.5-4.5L they actually consider them a bargain!! I know of atleast half-a-dozen people who are after me to sell my car to them!
why would anybody want to buy your ohc.havent they seen you driving it.
what about the 123000kms on the odo.what about the accident.i can go on and on.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 01:35   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
what about the 123000kms on the odo.
Old Info it's actually 125k now!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 01:40   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
manveet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 585 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
iraghava[/b]]I know of atleast half-a-dozen people who are after me to sell my car to them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
hellspawn[/b]]why would anybody want to buy your ohc.havent they seen you driving it. what about the 123000kms on the odo.what about the accident.i can go on and on.
arrey hellspawn, stop making assumptions and start being nice to ishan, understand what he's trying to say -

he hasn't mention why people are "after him" to sell his car to them. These people are wealthy enthusiasts who cannot go through the pain of seeing his car on a regular basis so they simply want to do social seva to fellow brethren like yourself ..

once they buy the car, trust me, you won't be seeing it no more .. he he
manveet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can this bike come to india dudes what do you say HONDA CBR150R bikeguru Motorbikes 18 30th March 2012 23:40
Yes, the time has come for me! wmanu Introduce yourself 12 11th November 2009 12:34
Has the time for Option Packages come in India? amit The Indian Car Scene 9 14th March 2007 17:54
Time has come for the Tata Magna Steeroid The Indian Car Scene 26 4th August 2005 08:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:11.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks