Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2006, 18:04   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Tata VS Toyota all over again

Some updates from my vacation in the city of gardens,the nursery for all toyota cars in india.

During my interaction with somebody at toyota[quite a senior person],this is what comes up.Toyota is going to battle with tata once again[the last time being the qualis vs sumo battle].This time they are planning a 5 seater diesel vehicle to compete with tata moneyspinner the Indica.As per toyota policy not much is know about the vehicle[should actually put it as not willing to reveal more] but expect it to be out in 2007 itself.The last time both had a battle the winner was clearly toyota.One thing is that toyota according to me thinks that tata surely understands indian customer needs best,something tata should be proud of.

Toyota india's gesture of providing air-conditioned buses to its employees is really appreciated [even most top-notch IT companes with huge pockets refuse to do so].

Another thing is that the Indica dicor should be expected soon.



Offtopic:
Hot Cars spotted in bangalore so far porsche cayenne on MG road,audi a6 think that was also mg road or somewhere nearby,A blue OHC vtec did have some nice alloys.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 21:35   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
1100D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 4,179
Thanked: 2,358 Times
Default

Well prior to the Sumo vs Qualis battle which Toyota won! There was another in which the Dyna was kicked out of india by a certain 407.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 22:45   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
rahul_intlad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,577
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Although I am going offtopic,here's an interesting fact:

Tata is creating ripples in the south african markets ,it is outselling toyota[dyna],mercedes-benz,iveco,volvo,man and tyco trucks.


COMMERCIAL VEHICLES sales figures for south africa 2005:




MEDIUM COMMERCIALS

This is the segment of the South African commercial vehicle market that is showing most growth - up 43,2 per cent to 8 928 units from 6 234 units a year previously.

There is a big shaker and mover in this segment in the market in the shape of Indian vehicle manufacturer Tata. The company has almost tripled sales from a year ago and is now firmly entrenched in second place behind Toyota's Dyna range and ahead of the DaimlerChrysler line-up of Mercedes-Benz Sprinters and Mitsubishi Canters. Tata had a year-on-year share of 20 per cent compared to Toyota's 24 per cent, but the big impact came in September when it outsold Dyna, albeit by a small margin - 258 to 240 units.

HEAVY COMMERCIALS
Toyota's Hino range has overtaken Nissan Diesel's offering in the heavy commercial segment (8 501 - 16 500 kg) although Toyota's 23,9 per cent share remained static. Nissan lost 3 per cent in share. Other losers were GMSA, with its Isuzu range down 2,3 per cent, and MAN (down 1,4 per cent).
Here again the threat to the establishment is Tata, which only entered this market in 2005 and already holds a 7,56 per cent share, overtaking established players such as Iveco, MAN, Volvo and Tyco Trucks.

EXTRA HEAVIES

The extra-heavy commercial vehicle market remains the domain of DaimlerChrysler with its Mercedes-Benz and Mitsubishi Fuso ranges, even growing its share by 1,1 per cent to a very dominant 32,1 per cent share in the period under review. Next best is MAN on 16,8 per cent (up 3,2 per cent), with the big losers being Volvo (down 4,4 per cent) and Scania (down 2,6 per cent).
This premium segment of the truck market is also now a "playground" for Tata, with a 2,8 per cent share in its first year, with 185 trucks sold. Their progress in this market will no doubt be watched in trepidation by the "establishment".


Source:
cartoday.com


Ps: figures for 2005,since 2006 not out yet.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 07:27   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Wonder what's behind Tata‘s South African story....they‘re moving rather aggressively into that country with software , automobiles and telecom (Tata is South Africa‘s new national operator, the second national operator after Telcom SA)
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 09:18   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

Reverse colonization. Cool.
herculesksp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:36   #6
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Wonder what's behind Tata‘s South African story....they‘re moving rather aggressively into that country with software , automobiles and telecom (Tata is South Africa‘s new national operator, the second national operator after Telcom SA)
Slightly offtopic:
Tata's are waking upto reality(after nearly approx 100 years in Indian industry, after seeing new kids like Reliance,Mittals, ZTV,etc)

They had lots of potential and cheap-labor(w.r.t other global majors) and huge-market(in India) -- which is till now ignored by whole world.

Finally seeing these new Kids Tata's are awaking and taking leaves out-of-Reliance(plan big), dream big, think global, merge/acquire core areas--whci finally help them in long term gloabl buisiness. We can see this attitude when it sponsered Narain for F1-race.


Though directly they cannot compete with Toyota on Pure-technolgy battle , they can compete with them on price(with some reasoable technolgy in their cars) using thier other USPs/their-core-competencies.
Suryam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 17:07   #7
BHPian
 
zucchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: faridabad/rourkela
Posts: 250
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

when mr.ratan tata took over,the tata group had almost 100 companies.many at that time were sick and more or less a burden to the tatas.his first priority was to sell them and to focus on there core buisness like tata steel,tata motors and that what he exactly did.
tata steel is the lowest steel producer in the world(cost).today indica and dicor has a very very strong holdings in there segments.
then came the money spinner TCS.
it is very difficult for an organization as massive as tata to hive off the loss making units,rebuilt the old ones and venture into the new ones(IT,TELECOM).
hats off to mr .RATAN TATA. the way he is restructuring this massive empire is amazing
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 00:48   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryam View Post
Slightly offtopic:
Tata's are waking upto reality(after nearly approx 100 years in Indian industry, after seeing new kids like Reliance,Mittals, ZTV,etc).
I wouldnt quite say that -

Tata Tea acquired Tetley to become the world's largest seller of Tea (they were already the largest producer) quite sometime back.

Tata's VSNL is one of the largest Carriers and submarine cable owner in the world (along with Reliance's FLAG).

Taj Hotels have acquired several properties abroad, the last of which was the Ritz Carlton in Boston.

Tata Motors acquired Daewoo's commercial vehicle interests a couple of years back.

VSNL/Tata Telecom have been aggressively bidding for new telecom licenses in Africa and Asia as and when they come up.

Tata have been buying stakes in several companies with synergies around the world, including their stake in Fiat care-of which R Tata sits on the Fiat board.

The much awaited Corus buyout - if it works out - will also give them significant presence in the steel sector worldwide.


They're not new kids on that block. I was just wondering about the focus on South Africa for the Tata Group, and not just what their cars are doing there.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 08:26   #9
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 85
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I wouldnt quite say that -

Tata Tea acquired Tetley to become the world's largest seller of Tea (they were already the largest producer) quite sometime back.

Tata's VSNL is one of the largest Carriers and submarine cable owner in the world (along with Reliance's FLAG).

Taj Hotels have acquired several properties abroad, the last of which was the Ritz Carlton in Boston.

Tata Motors acquired Daewoo's commercial vehicle interests a couple of years back.

VSNL/Tata Telecom have been aggressively bidding for new telecom licenses in Africa and Asia as and when they come up.

Tata have been buying stakes in several companies with synergies around the world, including their stake in Fiat care-of which R Tata sits on the Fiat board.

The much awaited Corus buyout - if it works out - will also give them significant presence in the steel sector worldwide.


They're not new kids on that block. I was just wondering about the focus on South Africa for the Tata Group, and not just what their cars are doing there.
I agree with you Steeroid that they are not new kids. Most of the above things happened in last 10 years only (for a 100 years company). This type of Vertical/Horizontal growing(at large/gloabl scale) started by Reliance well before Tatas.

Now days they are diversifying in all possible areas where ever they have thier products/related buisiness. In the same time they are not only concentrating on India market only , but also global only.
Suryam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 09:16   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryam View Post
I agree with you Steeroid that they are not new kids. Most of the above things happened in last 10 years only (for a 100 years company).
Which co-incides with the timeframe when the country's economy was opened up. It wasnt possible earlier, even if they wanted to. The well known attempts by Tata to start an airline with Singapore Airlines and to bring Honda into India are just the tip fo the iceberg. If it werent for the license Raj, you'd have seen the Accord in India back in 1992.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryam View Post
This type of Vertical/Horizontal growing(at large/gloabl scale) started by Reliance well before Tatas.
Now this I disagree with. Take Reliance and Tata - list out their enteprises and figure out who is more diversified - vertically or horizontally.


Lets get back to the topic, however. We can discuss this in more detail on PM if you wish.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 11:33   #11
BHPian
 
zucchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: faridabad/rourkela
Posts: 250
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

steeriod bro you seems to be a great admirer of the tatas!!!!!
nice man same here.ratan tata has made india proud.he is amongst the MOST RESPECTED indian buisness man and same goes for the tata group.
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 11:58   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,576
Thanked: 815 Times
Default

We have to admire the TATAs for what they have done. They seem to be really aggressive in various segments. But... they should also concentrate more on quality in the auto sector. Would help if they could benchmark Toyota/Honda like the way Hyundai did and succeeded. They seem to have some sort of attraction (and aping) towards Fiat which will not help them.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 13:11   #13
BHPian
 
Equus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 872
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Boy, 2007 has more to offer than what we thought!! A toyota is a toyota and most folks dont mind paying a modest premium!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 14:28   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 439 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Which co-incides with the timeframe when the country's economy was opened up. It wasnt possible earlier, even if they wanted to. The well known attempts by Tata to start an airline with Singapore Airlines and to bring Honda into India are just the tip fo the iceberg. If it werent for the license Raj, you'd have seen the Accord in India back in 1992.
And you'd have seen made-in-India Mercedes cars in 1960s itself. Tata Motors' application was rejected by the Govt. of India.
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 14:49   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,705
Thanked: 89,155 Times
Default

Quote:
This time they are planning a 5 seater diesel vehicle to compete with tata moneyspinner the Indica.
Fingers pointing to.....Daihatsu?

Quote:
Well prior to the Sumo vs Qualis battle which Toyota won! There was another in which the Dyna was kicked out of india by a certain 407.
Master-class, 1100D!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Toyota LandCruiser 105- Spotted All Over india! drbryjne Super-Cars & Imports in India 16 23rd August 2010 04:27
Kerala Police does it again! Cams all over the city! jkdas Shifting gears 25 16th June 2010 22:22
Battery goin dead... again and again... COUGAR 4x4 Vehicles 21 1st August 2009 18:27
Love . . . . all over again!!! (OHC @ ~80,000km) manson Long-Term Ownership Reviews 5 28th July 2007 17:13
Here we go again - Toyota India at it again. rahul_intlad The Indian Car Scene 33 2nd October 2006 20:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks