Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th July 2007, 19:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

The 50th anniversary ambassador is to get a sunroof,which I am told is a first for the ambassador.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 23:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
The 50th anniversary ambassador is to get a sunroof,which I am told is a first for the ambassador.

Lot of Amby Grands have sunroofs as standard. One of our Kolkata Team-bhp meets had us storming the Amby Showroom (infact the cedia showroom that also sold the Amby) and we have some pics of it there. Infact it has a lot of appointments, but then a car is not a sum of all its parts.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:07   #33
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Our tropical country gets enough sun to kill (as in sunstroke).
Sweltering Delhi summer temperatures routinely sit in the forties in degrees Celsius.

Elsewhere, in the earth's temperate zone, the sky is dull all year around, with the sun rising in an eastern corner of the horizon, scurrying stealthily just over the treetops, never getting directly overhead and setting down into a western corner.

A memorable experience was to see Europeans taking a workday off, just because it happened to be a sunny day.
Can we then understand where they come from, when they want a roof that can open to let the sun in?

Then again, in our tropical land, where the torrential monsoon pours in sheets, the sunroof meant for a European clime is notorious for leaks. The summer sun rots the rubber grommets and the monsoon leaks in.

This monsoon, I even noticed Volvo Azad (B7R chassis coach) roofs leaking.

Now, whence this meaningless craving to ape the residents of the high latitudes? To let the airconditioning out? Or is it a sealed glass moonroof that masquerades as a Euro sunroof?

A sunroof on an government servant's white Ambassador. hmmm....
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:35   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
A sunroof on an government servant's white Ambassador. hmmm....
Its there so that the politicians (feudal lords) can stand up in their seats and wave to the populace (peasants, for them) without having to get down from the car.
Hence a sunroof on the Amby makes a lot of sense.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:49   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Our tropical country gets enough sun to kill (as in sunstroke).
Sweltering Delhi summer temperatures routinely sit in the forties in degrees Celsius.
I live in an area where there are three seasons - Hot, Hotter, Hottest! Yet, I would never buy a car without a sunroof. I never turn on the AC during day time except the three hottest months or at nights when temperature is above 105 F. All other time the windows and sunroof gotta be open, even at freeway speeds. My friends think I am crazy and I look at Americans who drive convertibles with top down in 120F at 4 PM (hottest time of day) and think they must be crazy! Of course the humidity is always below 10% so it is livable when not burning hot.

I would think the same would apply to India. Sunroof as an accessory to let extra air flow over your head rather than let the sun in. I would love to drive a convertible or a car with sunroof open in the Hyderabadi winter when the weather is absolutely perfect (except for the pollution). Four months of good weather is a good enough reason (for me) to buy a car with sunroof.
Mayavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 10:51   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Let's just hope it dosen't leak. I'm sure it will.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 13:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Will they provide white wall tyres on the Limited edition?

IMHO, they should stop flogging this horse now. Time for Amby to get a honourable retirement, instead of yet another "facelift".
spadival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 19:51   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post
I live in an area where there are three seasons - Hot, Hotter, Hottest! Yet, I would never buy a car without a sunroof. I never turn on the AC during day time except the three hottest months or at nights when temperature is above 105 F. All other time the windows and sunroof gotta be open, even at freeway speeds. My friends think I am crazy and I look at Americans who drive convertibles with top down in 120F at 4 PM (hottest time of day) and think they must be crazy! Of course the humidity is always below 10% so it is livable when not burning hot.

I would think the same would apply to India. Sunroof as an accessory to let extra air flow over your head rather than let the sun in. I would love to drive a convertible or a car with sunroof open in the Hyderabadi winter when the weather is absolutely perfect (except for the pollution). Four months of good weather is a good enough reason (for me) to buy a car with sunroof.
Yes, as much as I like driving windows down here, In India, I dont like the prospect, mainly because of exhaust fumes from Busses, then you have dust hanging in the air. Here I can keep a car 4-5 days without washing but in Kolkata the flying soil accumulates dust every day. A simple drive thru the city and then you move you finger on what was previously a clean car and you can see dust (which is not pollution but simple loose soil). Then the Humidity is always around 90 percent so even if its 90 degrees you will end up having sweat going down your forehead. Every overcast day is associated with rain in which you can actually get soaking wet in just about 5 seconds.

But on an Amby the Sunroof is for a safety purpose, the car turns on its sides quite often and the Neta's have a tough time getting out of the door on the otherside (which is the top now).
Old 16th July 2007, 23:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

A number of parents let their kid's put their heads out of a running car,thinking thats the function of a sunroof in cars.

Have been in a few non-ac buses that have a sunroof[sort of],where they open some sort of a lid and say it improves ventilation and decreases cabin temperature.But I hardly noticed any difference with or without the thing open.Have noticed this sunroof[if i can call it that] in truck cabins as well.
Old 16th July 2007, 23:42   #40
BHPian

I still love amby. Each and every inch of it. Cant let it go my heart. I am happy for being in this era.
Jai...
nevertouchme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 07:03   #41
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have noticed this sunroof[if i can call it that] in truck cabins as well.
Old 17th July 2007, 19:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow is that a new Amby being tested with Sunroofs for individual passengers.
Old 17th July 2007, 22:02   #43
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Wow is that a new Amby being tested with Sunroofs for individual passengers.
Then HM Ambassador can mean High-Mobility Ambassador!
Or perhaps how about this one...

Ram
Old 17th July 2007, 22:05   #44
Team-BHP Support

Ram, must give it to you. You draw well, really well. Actually I like that smooth transformation of Amby to Humvy,
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 22:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Yes me too sir,I really liked that Humbassador that's very well done.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 17th July 2007 at 22:10.