Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th April 2010, 13:32   #61
BANNED

Maruti Cervo is expected to come in May / June this year. I think it will be a very good car.

Anybody has insight on official launch date?
udit78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 17:58   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78 View Post
Maruti Cervo is expected to come in May / June this year. I think it will be a very good car.

Anybody has insight on official launch date?
I picked up my in-laws Swift over last weekend. I casually told the sales person that, we've had 3 Maruti's in my family, next time I will be going for Ford (I already had a Fiesta and sold it) unless something interesting comes from Maruti.
He told me that Cervo is expected to come in another 2 months in the price bracket 1.5L to 2.0L. I Can't vouch for his words, but I guess he was telling me whatever information he had from his team at Mandovi.
RROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 18:15   #63
BHPian

something tells me even if the Cervo's price is placed a little higher than Nano, it will still overtake the sales of Nano. Maruti sales and support network is awesome and parts are cheaper!
NANO watch out!
Zombie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 19:50   #64
Senior - BHPian

As they are not able to price the BS-IV Alto 800 below Rs 2L, I don't think they can price this Cervo below 2L.

Anyway, IMO, Cervo is definitely stylish and cute looking!
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 21:30   #65
Senior - BHPian

The Cervo is a couple of generations newer than the decade old Alto and a better car as well. It will not be priced cheaper than an Alto, let alone the Nano.

When this car is phased out in Japan the dies will be pushed down Marutis throats, and will be made in India.

For Maruti to make a car to compete with the Nano, for one they will need local engineering expertise which can compete with Tata, nada, they do not have that. They will then have to rely on the Japanese partner, it is a big if and but wether they can make such a car on such a budget, but the even bigger problem is it will cost a lot lot more to design in Japan. So they will struggle for costs even before the manufacturing process.

Had Suzuki had the balls to do this we should have heard of the project by now, the Nano challenge was declared by Tata a long time ago. Frankly they dont need to, making a healthy profit in the way they are doing business right now. Unlike Tata who are a late start and have to think out of the box.
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 21:56   #66
BHPian

cervo cant be competitor to nano, they cant price lower than nano or slightly higher than nano. Only after 10-15 years of introduction of a model like alto, 800 comes near 2 lakh mark, but not less than it. also if cervo is priced lower around 2 lakhs, then other maruti products will also feel the heat like estilo, a-star etc, though cervo is good in styling.

so i think maruti wont field cervo as competitor for nano, pricing will also be difficult amidst of a-star, estilo, ritz alto...so they have to axe any one product of maruti to replace with cervo. May be estilo?
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 08:51   #67
BHPian

@romeomidhun
@shortbread
@rajivanoj
You guys have a point here. but come to think of it, majority of the cars what i have seen in the Indian market are stripped down models. If you compare a U.S or European car with the same model as an Indian one, there are lot of gadgets and features missing. of-course there are exceptions. If Cervo is a stripped down model of Japanese version then pricing will be very competitive (only if Maruti is eyeing the NANO sales)
Zombie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 09:29   #68
Team-BHP Support

I dont think Maruti will be investing in the Nano competitor anytime soon: atleast that was what I was told when I'd asked a Maruti bigwig the same question during the Alto K10 TD.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 12:27   #69
BHPian

Suzuki Cervo (by the overall dimensions, features, styling, etc.) can be stripped down to the price band of Alto / Estilo / A Star. But definitely not in Nano's territory.

But IMHO, it will be rather difficult & time consuming to strip down a vehicle to a segment / 2 below it.

Also with the new alto / wagonr already launched categorising a new set of customers is pretty tough. But as always Maruti are very good in creating new customer profiles & populations that others can't.

And going by the sales figures after launch of Swift, most models from Maruti have indeed fared ok if not poor (only my opinion). So trying to compete with nano will not be a great idea, rather they would try to consolidate the current portfolios & market share since others are making in-roads.
rajess_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 13:24   #70
BHPian

Even if it is priced at 2L, i guess it's going to be a HIT!!
I will pick one up for sure
RROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 13:52   #71
BHPian

This looks awesome. I will buy this as a city car if it debuts in 1.5-2L category.

I read that this has model's production has been stopped in japan since March 2010 .... so I guess Maruti will "indeed" bring it here!
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 15:22   #72
Senior - BHPian

Some years back I heard that the real cost of production of M-800 is just Rs 80K, when the car was priced at 2L. The remaining money may go as the profit for MSIL, commission for dealer, royalty for Suzuki, and cost of advertisement. But still I think there was room for pricing M-800 at 1.5L.

Even now it may be possible for MSIL to price M-800 with BS-IV engine at 1.5L. When companies like Chevrolet and Tata are pricing their cars such cheap, why can't Maruti price a M-800 at 1.5L, with all those expertise and capacity to produce low-cost cars? Or is it plain greed?
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 15:33   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Some years back I heard that the real cost of production of M-800 is just Rs 80K, when the car was priced at 2L. The remaining money may go as the profit for MSIL, commission for dealer, royalty for Suzuki, and cost of advertisement. But still I think there was room for pricing M-800 at 1.5L.
Even now it may be possible for MSIL to price M-800 with BS-IV engine at 1.5L. When companies like Chevrolet and Tata are pricing their cars such cheap, why can't Maruti price a M-800 at 1.5L, with all those expertise and capacity to produce low-cost cars? Or is it plain greed?
Highly doubt, if the M800 costs just 80,000/- to produce. I agree the platform, old dyes might be helping in reducing the production costs to good extents. But 80,000/-??? Very hard to believe.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote