Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th January 2007, 13:40   #46

I have owned 2 santros in the past. each santro i drove for 3 years and clocking 60K Kms on each. The maint. cost on each santro has been around 20K for 3 years. Did not have any major break downs, except when the alternator failed which was also covered on the extended warranty plan. Never change the batteries in the 3 year period.

Now I own a Viva CRDi and have nothing to complain about.
arun_moorthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:21   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
His OE Bridgestone tyres lasted 105000 KMs,
Skateboard on ice?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:24   #48
Team-BHP Support

We have a Getz and 2 Santro's at home and recently added a Palio 1.6 sport to the lot. While buying the Getz we looked at the Swift but found the Getz to be a better car. While buying the Santro's we looked at the Alto and Wagon R but chose the Santro. Reason's they feel better built than the Maruti's and offer a better package than Maruti. The Palio was my choice against all the flak but I went for it and thats the only car I drive but the Hyundai's at home did make me a small time Hyundai lover over Maruti.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 14:25   #49
Team-BHP Support

@Gunbir, my my you fit their advertisement aptly- "Sunshine car for the sunshine family" - tweaked it a bit

Even i am a Hyundai fan-using my second at the moment
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2007, 18:21   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been praising a lot about Hyundia accent CRDi in the lest two pages...

However, i had another try in the same car today, which left me real shocked... The car had developed much more rattles than my wagonR... Its the dashboard, and was rattling so much to interfere wioth the music.. Am susprised, as this is well-cared for car... And the owner is not a speed enusiast himself... Also, half clutch situations in traffic was letting in a lot of vibrations into the cabin

I Dont know if it is some problem with the specific car... Guys, if so, please let me know what to suggest...

The car is not yet an year old... And run about 25k+ kilometers...
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 11:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

But I know a lot of Santros which was manufactured on or before 2000 having problem with ECU and needed expensive repairs/replacement amounting 30-40K.

And the same trouble was corroborated by a service engineer who is working
for Hyundai since '99.

Other than this problem and bumpy ride, I haven't heard any other problems for Santro.
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 13:53   #52
BHPian

My Hyundai Accent GTX (2002 Model) has done 59000+ Kms till date. No rattles or expensive repairs / replacements. Yes, the exhaust muffler rusted and I replaced the exhaust with Automech SS Sports exhaust and am very happy with the performance. Regular service at the specified intervals has made the car run without problems. Service costs / replacement costs are comparable to Honda and Maruti parts. So, Hyundai cars are long lasting , value for money cars.
harshavardhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 15:29   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, i had another try in the same car today, which left me real shocked... The car had developed much more rattles than my wagonR... Its the dashboard, and was rattling so much to interfere wioth the music.. Am susprised, as this is well-cared for car... And the owner is not a speed enusiast himself... Also, half clutch situations in traffic was letting in a lot of vibrations into the cabin
I have a 3.5 month old hyundai and recently during a highway drive faced exactly the same sound issue. A strange noise coming from the glove box and when i rearranged my cd's the noise was gone.

However, i have seen before people complianing of some noise from glove box, this seems general for hyundai accent cars but nothing as big as you described.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 17:25   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
However, i have seen before people complianing of some noise from glove box, this seems general for hyundai accent cars but nothing as big as you described.
Anything hard left in the glovebox will cause a noise on the Accent. I used to keep a flashlight there, couldnt stand the noise, and got the glovebox padded up with black stryofoam-like sheets.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 22:04   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Havent bought a HYUNDAI yet ........
but my Uncles SANTRO is 6 yrs old , and has gone over 1.2 lakh Kms , has been pretty much reliable ..........
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 22:28   #56
BHPian

My 6 year old accent. Had to change Drive Shaft last year and this year a leaking oil sump. Other than that no major problems.

S
thalavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 00:33   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Guys: Need Advice

My friend with the Accent CRDi... He had no idea accent had a turbo charger... He had never purposefully let the car idle after coming to a stop and swtiching off the car...

Knowing his driving habits... he is more of like, turn key on, drive off... And stop car, turn off engine type...

Car has by now done close to 30k kms... Will there be any problems with the the turbo??? Should he get anything checked???
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 13:39   #58
BHPian

Default Re: Are Hyundais cars long lasting?

Of course, there is no doubt about it. My brother's i10 kappa 1.2 was driven 89000 kms without any issues. My neighbour's Santro Xing was driven 1 lakh kms before he sold it.
The only Hyundai that failed before me was my friend's Accent Diesel that died a natural death after 1,20,000 kms. It was just to expensive to repair and he bid adieu to the vehicle soon after.
The Hyundai Tucson petrol (the only one here) is still running.
I have come across Sonatas that have run 1,00,000 kms and are up for sale at 80k here. Only downside is they give 5-6 kmpl.
Diesel Vernas (newer ones) run for about 2-3 lakh kms.
The 3-pot Accent Diesel was a disaster, though.
The petrol GLX Accent runs around 4-5 lakh kms with reboring. I will be posting photos of this one as it is still lying in True Value for 50k.
Ashok Naik is offline   Reply With Quote