Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th February 2007, 05:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to Automatic variant, Santro wins hands down with it's 4-Speed gearbox when compared to the 3-Speed gearbox of WR. Maruti needs to immediately work on the Autobox although the auto variants will never push the sales chart....
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 09:15   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
When it comes to Automatic variant, Santro wins hands down with it's 4-Speed gearbox when compared to the 3-Speed gearbox of WR. Maruti needs to immediately work on the Autobox although the auto variants will never push the sales chart....

I was interested in a small car with an auto tranny and test drove the Santro. I found the 4-speed auto box not of much use because it shifts into 4th only at a speed of 60kms. So effectively in city traffic the car keeps moving in 3rd gear. Any user here who can confirm this?
Bomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

I saw this car in motion yesterday, and it revs excessively in first gear (ie, from a standstill) without gaining any speed to show for it. Also, I did not hear hear it upshifting (yes, we can hear the engine whining). Is it normal with AT cars? (my experience with them is zero).
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 11:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I saw this car in motion yesterday, and it revs excessively in first gear (ie, from a standstill) without gaining any speed to show for it. Also, I did not hear hear it upshifting (yes, we can hear the engine whining). Is it normal with AT cars? (my experience with them is zero).
It actually depends on how much you push the throttle. If you accelerate with a light foot it wont rev excessively. But it depends on car to car. AT cars are always tuned to shift at optimum RPM. So far I havent experienced an AT car over rev in first. Maybe that test mule needs some tweaking
Dippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 19:31   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
He was probably driving it in D1 or D2 which are used for hill decent. In this mode it wont shift beyong 1st or 2nd.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 20:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

I was thinking if by any chance Maruti brings in CVT box in WagonR it can easily be the best selling car in its class.
But seeing sajo's latest post it doesn't seem so.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 22:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Actually Adya, CVTs are capable of doing just that. Sorta like a Kinetic Honda...the irritating rubberband effect.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote