Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th March 2017, 09:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Cost for transfer of registration from one State/Place to another

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
1. When I pay road tax in Hyderabad will be be on the ex showroom price of the original invoice? Is there a provision to discount the ex showroom price since its a used car and has car value has depreciated as much as 45%(assuming its a 3 year car. IT act allow 15% depreciation)? Depreciated value consideration will significantly lower road tax load on me.
2. Once I pay road tax in Hyderabad, will I be able to claim back the road tax paid by the original owner in Delhi? Will it be paid back to the original owner or the present registered owner?
Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.
1. Pro rata based on the age of the car. See this link - http://www.transport.telangana.gov.i...-time-tax.html
14% if new, 13% for < 2 years, 2-3 years 12.5%, 3-4 years 12% (etc)

2. You can claim the tax back in Delhi but you will have to keep traveling back and forth between Hyderabad and Delhi, and the eventual airfare itself will probably be about as much as the refunded tax amount (which will also be pro rata based on the car's age). If you travel back and forth on business anyway that might be an option, else don't bother.

My personal suggestion would be to just buy a car in Hyderabad and not bother with buying in Delhi and transporting it across.

See several posts in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...nd-etc-38.html (Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc.)

Last edited by hserus : 17th March 2017 at 09:19.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 09:46   #107
BHPian

Thanks for the quick response

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
1. Pro rata based on the age of the car. See this link - http://www.transport.telangana.gov.i...-time-tax.html
14% if new, 13% for < 2 years, 2-3 years 12.5%, 3-4 years 12% (etc)
Is the 12% on the original ex showroom price or is it on the depreciated value of the car? Looked up but couldn't find an answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
2. You can claim the tax back in Delhi but you will have to keep traveling back and forth between Hyderabad and Delhi, and the eventual airfare itself will probably be about as much as the refunded tax amount (which will also be pro rata based on the car's age). If you travel back and forth on business anyway that might be an option, else don't bother.
The car I'm looking at has an ex showroom price of 62L and the tax paid on it was about 6.2 lakhs. 6.2 lakhs is too much to ignore I feel. Even if I fly 10 times and stay in a hotel I might end up spending a lakh or thereabout and I'll still be saving quite a bit right?
wannabelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 10:28   #108
Senior - BHPian

12% on the ex showroom price. Not a very good bargain for you.

So - 10% tax in Delhi. 12% tax on 62 lakhs is 7.44 lakh. And then you spend a lakh or so (and maybe some thousands in bribes or agent fees) to recover your 6.2 lakhs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
Thanks for the quick response
Is the 12% on the original ex showroom price or is it on the depreciated value of the car? Looked up but couldn't find an answer.

The car I'm looking at has an ex showroom price of 62L and the tax paid on it was about 6.2 lakhs. 6.2 lakhs is too much to ignore I feel. Even if I fly 10 times and stay in a hotel I might end up spending a lakh or thereabout and I'll still be saving quite a bit right?

Last edited by hserus : 17th March 2017 at 10:30.
hserus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 13:27   #109
BHPian

Hi

I know this has been discussed before but i need to take a quick call since i am in my Head office in Mumbai where i am disusing my impending move to Mumbai.

Leaving other issues aside my main worry is that my Nanook ( Creta 1.6 VTVT) is registered in Chandigarh. I have been driving it in Chattisgarh for last one year without issue as mostly i stayed inside plant.

Now with this move to Mumbai, my queries are as under
  • Can i drive in Mumbai for a period of one year before re-registration.
  • Can i pay an yearly tax and use it here.
  • In case of re-registration what is the tax (% of cost) here in Mumbai
Thanks in Advance.
nkghai is offline   Reply With Quote